Around the NHL 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Canucks fan here, just curious one of our beat writers claimed at the draft the canucks and wings had a deal on the table for brendan smith, a 1st overall, and a few other players for edler.

Was just curious if you guys as fans would have approved or disapproved of it.

Depends on who those other players are. If they were shoe-ins (not important pieces), I might say yes to that deal. But on the other hand, Detroit has a lot of up and coming defensemen so the need for a guy like Edler might not be necessary in 3-4 years. Someone like Xavier Ouellet or Ryan Sproul could turn out to be close to Edler without having to give anything up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Canucks fan here, just curious one of our beat writers claimed at the draft the canucks and wings had a deal on the table for brendan smith, a 1st overall, and a few other players for edler.

I don't really like the packages I hear requested for Edler. He isn't a #1 D-man for me, much like Kronwall. But it really depends on who those other players were. I think Smith takes entirely too much heat around here and I am not as willing to move him as easily as others are.

With that said I have always been higher on the notion of chasing Edler than Yandle which is floated out a lot in the media.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I don't really like the packages I hear requested for Edler. He isn't a #1 D-man for me, much like Kronwall. But it really depends on who those other players were. I think Smith takes entirely too much heat around here and I am not as willing to move him as easily as others are.

With that said I have always been higher on the notion of chasing Edler than Yandle which is floated out a lot in the media.

What were some of the extras if you've heard? Frk +Smith +a 1st I'd do.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Watching that HNIC Intro just renewed/re-invigorated my interest in this season.

Bert - Andersson - Cleary

Stay in your place, excitement is not allowed.:laugh:

tumblr_mtn58znRW41rgjwupo3_250.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What were some of the extras if you've heard? Frk +Smith +a 1st I'd do.

I meant in general when you heard his name bandied about. The return is generally pretty high, don't think they would except that package if that was what the offer was and likely why they turned it down. I don't know if I would be happy with that as an offer. You're basically trading both our best young goal scoring prospects right there, as Mantha is gone under this scenario.

Have not heard much about a Wings legitimate offer other than Smith was involved with the first, have seen that rumor, I want to know who else was in there, but it is a bad start for me even if it needs to be added onto for fair market value. What I was getting at is Edler's market value is inflated at least for me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Watching that HNIC Intro just renewed/re-invigorated my interest in this season.

I have no interest in this season whatsoever.

At least not until some of the old turds on the Wings go down.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

As has already been said that it would depend on the other players involved, but if Smith and a first were the principle parts of the deal on the Wings side, I don't have a problem with that deal.

I guess that was the context I was speaking from. Kessel at $8M isn't a killer (though I think it is too much, that is up there with the very best players in the league, and I don't think Kessel belongs in that group), but with those Bozak and Clarkson contracts specifically, they can't afford to just throw around money like this. Are they hoping Phaneuf takes a major pay cut?

I'm wondering what this might say about what Vanek will look for. If you don't want to go $8m for a wing, you might be taking yourself out of the Vanek sweepstakes.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Disapprove. Smith is incredibly underrated here. That first was Anthony Mantha. That's too much value going into an offensive Dman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have no interest in this season whatsoever.

At least not until some of the old turds on the Wings go down.

Yeah, I lied.
I'm watching the Hawks-Caps pregame on my flight home to NY, and I'm gassed up for hockey.

Aug 6, 2012
Blackhawks have the 21 year-old 3rd round pick Joakim Nordstrom on their starting roster tonight. They have 23 year-old Jimmy Hayes starting. They have 20 year-old Brandon Saad starting. They won the Stanley Cup last year.

We don't have room for our 24 year-old top prospect.

**** this team.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Blackhawks have the 21 year-old 3rd round pick Joakim Nordstrom on their starting roster tonight. They won the Stanley Cup last year.

We don't have room for our 24 year-old top prospect. We lost to them last year.

The Red Wings lost last year because of turnovers from Brendan Smith in Game 6, who was essentially a rookie.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Blackhawks have the 21 year-old 3rd round pick Joakim Nordstrom on their starting roster tonight. They have 23 year-old Jimmy Hayes starting. They have 20 year-old Brandon Saad starting. They won the Stanley Cup last year.

We don't have room for our 24 year-old top prospect.

**** this team.

Then leave. Go join the Hawks board.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
As has already been said that it would depend on the other players involved, but if Smith and a first were the principle parts of the deal on the Wings side, I don't have a problem with that deal.

The way he explained it anyway, it definitely sounded like that was the deal in principle. He somewhat dismissively mentioned a few other pieces.

I dont know how i would have felt about it personally myself, but i was also curious what you guys thought. I have celebrated trades before thinking they were great and then finding out the other fan base also liked it and was not as high on that player as i originally perceived.

Most recently david booth for samuelsson, i was happy to get rid of sammy and thought we fleeced the panthers, then talking to a few panther fans who explained several issues with booth. I really like smith, but again I dont follow your prospects nearly as closely as you guys do.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I liked Jim Hughson's comment on the fighting in the Atlantic Division. "Detroit's going to bring that average down a bit" :laugh:

Meh... I don't really care. In the end of the day, the winner is the one with more goals than the other team, not the one with the most PIM and fighting majors.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Meh... I don't really care. In the end of the day, the winner is the one with more goals than the other team, not the one with the most PIM and fighting majors.

Agree. Who's scoring for the Wings other than Dats and Z? The 2nd line will have to produce big time. But also, who's gonna step up and keep the goon's off em? Who's gonna score in the bottom 6? I see a lot of slow players who take penalties. The one semi-skilled player in the bottom 6 (bert) is saddled with 2 non-offensive threats. That 3rd line is so bad. And the 4th is just as bad. Need Helm back, Tatar and Nyquist in to save the bottom 6.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Agree. Who's scoring for the Wings other than Dats and Z? The 2nd line will have to produce big time. But also, who's gonna step up and keep the goon's off em? Who's gonna score in the bottom 6? I see a lot of slow players who take penalties. The one semi-skilled player in the bottom 6 (bert) is saddled with 2 non-offensive threats. That 3rd line is so bad. And the 4th is just as bad. Need Helm back, Tatar and Nyquist in to save the bottom 6.

You'll be surprised, don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad