Around the NHL 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Pretty embarrassing stuff out of Ference, Stempniak should have kept his gloves on unfortunately. I would also love for the refs to explain how in the world this is not an instigator.

I like Ference but am not too keen on his reaction in this case.

Ference clearly instigates a fight here, but I don't think I've ever seen someone given the instigator penalty if they start a fight based on something that just happened to them... if a different Oiler player started something w/ Stempniak after that hit, I'll bet that guy gets the instigating call. I think you get a free pass on starting a fight w/ the refs if they know you just got your clock cleaned :D

Speaking of calls not made on the play, Ference hadn't touched the puck yet and gets smoked- couldn't that be interference by the letter of law/rule? I know you see this all the time where guys initiate contact prior to playing the puck in a race to get to it, but really, how is Stempniak's hit any different from seeing a guy get crushed either before or well after playing the puck, which is an automatic interference call?

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I thought the sens would be a better team this year with Spezza and Karlsson healthy the addition of Ryan but an analyst pointed out how andersson has 1 good then 1 bad year and he's on a bad year now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought the sens would be a better team this year with Spezza and Karlsson healthy the addition of Ryan but an analyst pointed out how andersson has 1 good then 1 bad year and he's on a bad year now.

A lot of people not buying into the Sens around here pointed this out on Anderson as well and were crucified in debates.

Interesting that Howard and Anderson are pretty much playing themselves off Team USA, maybe that pressure is getting to them. Even with Miller on a God awful team he has re-emerged in front of both them quite handily right now in my opinion.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sabres are debuting their new thirds against you guys this Sunday.

... I do not envy you guys for having to be subjected to that...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just so people know what you're talking about.

090413_sabresjersey.jpg

Not good at all, not quite as bad I was expecting just reading those comments with no photo, but still not good. The two different tones of yellow are just um....

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Just so people know what you're talking about.

090413_sabresjersey.jpg

Not good at all, not quite as bad I was expecting just reading those comments with no photo, but still not good. The two different tones of yellow are just um....

I didn't notice the two different yellows before...looks more like a mistake than something intentional.

Are we supposed to think they are wearing capes or something?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
James Gordon ‏@SensReporter 2 min
Tally of Phoenix Coyotes losses the NHL covered between 2009 to just prior to sale, according to court docs: $112,708,322.

how many swedes do you guys have on ur roster?

regulars

alfie, zetterberg, franzen, gustavsson, kronwall, ericsson, andersson and nyquist.

so 8.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
James Gordon ‏@SensReporter 2 min
Tally of Phoenix Coyotes losses the NHL covered between 2009 to just prior to sale, according to court docs: $112,708,322.

regulars

alfie, zetterberg, franzen, gustavsson, kronwall, ericsson, andersson and nyquist.

so 8.

That's a ton of lost money. Are they doing any better revenue wise this year?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
leafs signed their 2012 6th rounder connor brown. has 47 in 23 in ohl's erie this season.

That's a ton of lost money. Are they doing any better revenue wise this year?

numbers come out at something like month or two after the season is over.

attendance wise seems to be little better though not totally sure.

but the new management didn't really get the time to advertise the team before the season started etc. i think they can be ok if they ice competitive product. i hope so, actually. so far, so good.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
leafs signed their 2012 6th rounder connor brown. has 47 in 23 in ohl's erie this season.

numbers come out at something like month or two after the season is over.

attendance wise seems to be little better though not totally sure.

but the new management didn't really get the time to advertise the team before the season started etc. i think they can be ok if they ice competitive product. i hope so, actually. so far, so good.

McDavid should get a part of his money. :laugh:

On the Phoenix thing, I think they have rebounded a little at the gate from what I have seen when I have flipped on their home games. With the new ownership and the NHL no longer a threat to move the team there is more buzz around them according to a family friend that lives in the Phoenix area. That combined with the Suns intentionally tanking for the draft has them in as good a spot as they have ever been in that city.

If they can keep up their strong play, when the Cards stop playing and the Suns are in the middle of their power fade (they actually started the season well according to my brother that follows basketball closer than hockey) that should happen, they could be a pretty desirable ticket in the Phoenix area.

I hope Team USA doesn't take him, but Yandle could also be some nice buzz for them should he make the roster and help in the months that have no football competition and keep building momentum. In a market like Detroit that isn't real important, but having a US Olympic team member to advertise even more about in a place like Phoenix could be quite large.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
McDavid should get a part of his money. :laugh:

On the Phoenix thing, I think they have rebounded a little at the gate from what I have seen when I have flipped on their home games. With the new ownership and the NHL no longer a threat to move the team there is more buzz around them according to a family friend that lives in the Phoenix area. That combined with the Suns intentionally tanking for the draft has them in as good a spot as they have ever been in that city.

If they can keep up their strong play, when the Cards stop playing and the Suns are in the middle of their power fade (they actually started the season well according to my brother that follows basketball closer than hockey) that should happen, they could be a pretty desirable ticket in the Phoenix area.

I hope Team USA doesn't take him, but Yandle could also be some nice buzz for them should he make the roster and help in the months that have no football competition and keep building momentum. In a market like Detroit that isn't real important, but having a US Olympic team member to advertise even more about in a place like Phoenix could be quite large.

good info, thanks.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hurricanes have made Ruutu & Tlusty available - Flames have made Backlund available

Just saw that thread on Trade Rumors board now. Kind of interesting.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
ruutu sucks. tlusty has talent but seems to be slumping. weird that he's available as one would think that he has talent as evidenced by last year, though he was lucky and unlikely to repeat it again.

backlund hasn't broken out.

also of note, ovechkin has 42 goals in his last 44 games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
ruutu sucks. tlusty has talent but seems to be slumping. weird that he's available as one would think that he has talent as evidenced by last year, though he was lucky and unlikely to repeat it again.

backlund hasn't broken out.

also of note, ovechkin has 42 goals in his last 44 games.

Tlusty's contract's up at the end of the year and I'm guessing negotiations didn't get very far. Rather than feel they have to overpay him later, they're probably seeing if they can maximize his trade value now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad