Around the NHL 2013-2014 Part IV: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandel*

a buddy of mine going into his over-age year on the Q just made the 3rd set of cuts for the caps, really happy for him, its an awesome story. he was a rookie camp invite who has stuck this far into their camp. really hope he keeps it up and gets a contract

he got 1st star in the caps win over the bruins last night with a gordie howe hattrick: http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/obrien-goal-bruins-9-26-14

just happened to have a journal (written by him )about his time in the CHL released by sportsnet a few days ago, its actually an interesting read about trades, billet families etc: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/liam-obriens-journal-the-chl-is-a-business/

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 29 min
The one-year contracts for Torey Krug and Reilly Smith are each worth an annual cap figure of $1.4 million ^CS.

What a steal for now. Bruins have their best window before those guys get their payday.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins 29 min
The one-year contracts for Torey Krug and Reilly Smith are each worth an annual cap figure of $1.4 million ^CS.

As someone else said on the main board, the hold-out RFAs are realizing how little leverage they have. With respect to these two guys, they basically have no options. Chiarelli wasn't going to trade them at clearance prices and they had no arbitration or offer-sheet rights.

They do run the risk of injuries or slumping which could hurt them when they sign their next deal. But if both of them repeat their stats from last year? They're looking at $5M a pop and they sure as hell aren't going to be doing Chia any more favors after receiving this pittance of a deal.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What a steal for now. Bruins have their best window before those guys get their payday.

Arguably their only window for this roster. Chiarelli better hope the cap increases by 5-6 million at least because Krug, Smith, Hamilton, and Soderberg are making a collective $4.7M this year, when in reality, they could ask for $4.7M each if they maintain their stats or improve this season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
As someone else said on the main board, the hold-out RFAs are realizing how little leverage they have. With respect to these two guys, they basically have no options. Chiarelli wasn't going to trade them at clearance prices and they had no arbitration or offer-sheet rights.

They do run the risk of injuries or slumping which could hurt them when they sign their next deal. But if both of them repeat their stats from last year? They're looking at $5M a pop and they sure as hell aren't going to be doing Chia any more favors after receiving this pittance of a deal.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Chiarelli seemed to abuse his bargaining position a bit on this one, at least partly because the cap forced him to. There is no real reason for Krug and Smith to not turn around next year and say, "Pay me."

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Arguably their only window for this roster. Chiarelli better hope the cap increases by 5-6 million at least because Krug, Smith, Hamilton, and Soderberg are making a collective $4.7M this year, when in reality, they could ask for $4.7M each if they maintain their stats or improve this season.

Chara's got four years left on his deal but it wouldn't surprise me if he's only truly elite for two of these seasons. Imo, that's their cup window. No matter how good they are with the cap after that it just won't be the same. It'll be a slow decline though where they stay competitive for a long time.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Chara's got four years left on his deal but it wouldn't surprise me if he's only truly elite for two of these seasons. Imo, that's their cup window. No matter how good they are with the cap after that it just won't be the same. It'll be a slow decline though where they stay competitive for a long time.

Depends. There window could be longer depending on the developement of Hamilton. If Hamilton progresses incrementally to match Chara's regression then they don't lose anything as Chara ages. Granted though over the next two years they will lose the cap friendly deals there younger players are on currently. However that being said already this year they in no way, shape, or form have the team depth that they had last year. And given how weak the east is i don't really see them falling off a cliff.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Depends. There window could be longer depending on the developement of Hamilton. If Hamilton progresses incrementally to match Chara's regression then they don't lose anything as Chara ages. Granted though over the next two years they will lose the cap friendly deals there younger players are on currently. However that being said already this year they in no way, shape, or form have the team depth that they had last year. And given how weak the east is i don't really see them falling off a cliff.

I think Chara's presence is tough to replace, even if he slowly goes away like Lidstrom and you replace his sheer ability to move the puck and defend. Once he's gone he's gone and it's not the same anymore. It's like an invincible aura.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think Chara's presence is tough to replace, even if he slowly goes away like Lidstrom and you replace his sheer ability to move the puck and defend. Once he's gone he's gone and it's not the same anymore. It's like an invincible aura.

Don't get me wrong I understand he won't be replaced. But if Hamilton developes as fast or faster than Chara regresses it won't be a terrible dip for them. I was real impressed in that young man from the games that I saw. His defensive chops might take a bit longer to get to a higher level but he projects to be a #1 defender. He isn't a #1 now atm and who is to say how high of a #1 he will be but having a blue chip young player like him learning from him (chara) and seids is a much better situation than we were in without having a young heir apparent like the wings lacked.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1h1 hour ago
Puck-rakers: #CBJ Boone Jenner out indefinitely with broken left hand

Too bad for that market... That team is building into an interesting team with a solid identity, now you have your superstar holding out, big free agent signing of two years ago shelved and probably your next in line in terms of exciting young guys that fans like shelved.

Just slap the C on JMFJ for some feel good time and bubble wrap up Bob for the rest of this miserable off-season/pre-season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Too bad for that market...

My thoughts.

uh4hW.png

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My thoughts.

uh4hW.png

Good market where fans have put up with a lot and are gaining momentum. Columbus is also starting to churn out NHL talent, look at some of the USA development teams lately it is one of the cities that is starting to appear a lot.

I grew up hating U of M, so the suffering of Columbus isn't at the top of my wish list. I like the direction that team has taken, I like that the fans are excited and starting to really support that team. That actually dumping Nash and concentrating on the front office is paying off for them.

They have had a very tough summer, I hope the fans continue their positive direction of the last couple seasons despite that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
[lots of good points and stuff]

You're not going to put a damper on my schadenfreude. And yes, I did have to google how to spell that.

Other fanbases have been waiting for the Wings to fall forever, so I'm not going to get too excited about their rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad