Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
When is Stamkos up? I'm sure he'll get 10-11M

Subban should get 9 or 10.

Sens and Islanders were lucky to get Karlsson and Tavares under contract. Oh and Suter.. Dammit Kenny.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Think Stamkos can sign his extension next summer. Yeah that won't be cheap for the Bolts.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Blackhawkswincup said:
People are overestimating the Kane/Toews/Saad deals impact on Hawks going forward

The Hawks also have a very good prospect pool that will start getting NHL chances in coming years

Reminds me of 2010 + 2011 when Hawks were on decline and done contending because of all the cap purges according to HF. People were wrong then and will be wrong again IMO

Seriously the organization already has dealt with cap purges 3 different summers and survived. They will survive 2015 as well

Traded Ladd + Byfuglien + Versteeg and lost Niemi via arbitration due to cap

Traded Campbell + Brouwer due to cap

Traded Bolland + Frolik due to cap

This time around, Hossa is older and the Hawks won't be able to sign another circumventing deal like his. Keith and Sharp are also significant contributors and have a number of good years left, but they're not getting younger either.

I still expect the Hawks to contend moving forward, but there's no longer going to be a clear separation between them and the other contenders in terms of efficient cap utilization.

Also I don't know if Bolland and Frolik constitute a "purge".

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This time around, Hossa is older and the Hawks won't be able to sign another circumventing deal like his. Keith and Sharp are also significant contributors and have a number of good years left, but they're not getting younger either.

I still expect the Hawks to contend moving forward, but there's no longer going to be a clear separation between them and the other contenders in terms of efficient cap utilization.

Also I don't know if Bolland and Frolik constitute a "purge".

This time around the Hawks also have a #1 goalie (No running out to get a Turco) and young NHL talent and a good farm system

After 2010 purge the Hawks top young players coming thru Rockford were Jack Skille , Jake Dowell , Brandon Klinkhammer and Kyle Beach

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
that's worse than the howard contract. 7 years is a long time for a somebody that is still relatively unproven

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Schneider is a great goalie. He's pretty proven at this point.

Groomed slowly and has never been thrown to the fire. He's pretty much done everything right he could do up to this point.

Of course, it would be nice to have your big contract goalie have a season with more than 50 games under his belt.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Which involves a goaltender you can rely on game after game. Brodeur played like 70 games a year for them. He was a big part of their team identity.

I guess my point is that a goalie can be stabilizing force, but it can also be the reason why you lost. If given the choice of a 7m goalie or a 7m skater, I take the skater every time. Outside of Lundqvist and possibly Rask, you can interchange almost all of the rest of them.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I guess my point is that a goalie can be stabilizing force, but it can also be the reason why you lost. If given the choice of a 7m goalie or a 7m skater, I take the skater every time. Outside of Lundqvist and possibly Rask, you can interchange almost all of the rest of them.

i agree with you in general and that is something that not enough GMs don't take enough of advantage.

but schneider is the type of goalie that i'd be willing to pay.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If given the choice of a 7m goalie or a 7m skater, I take the skater every time.

Even if the skater is Rick Nash????? :naughty:

Your opinion is shared among many, but it seems to not be too popular with NHL GMs. I think it's because they've seen great teams dismantled by poor goaltending, so they really want to lock in their best bet at stability in net. New Jersey built many winning seasons on the back of workhorse Brodeur. They'll want to try to get that again with Schneider, that's what I was saying.

We're also only a few months removed where two of the elite goalies met in the finals. Success breeds copycats.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I'd rather have Howard's contract, but I'm not thrilled about that one either. Does make me accept it more though for every other above average starting goalie signing for more than him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Seems reasonable to think he could replace Selanne's contributions the last couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad