Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Everyone is saying it's a lowball offer. Is it true? Has he really improved in the past 2 years? I remember when he was only a prospect :laugh:

Two years ago the Dumoulin-Letang pairing was excellent in the playoffs. He looked like a perfect sidekick to a #1. He is better than guys like Maatta/Cole and about equal to 50pt Schultz as a defenseman.

He wasn't as good without Letang though, but did log big minutes.

Overall I would pay Dumoulin 4M AAV as he is without a doubt a top four guy. Better d than Alzner for example.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

"[TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 4)"

*log out*

Someone folks need to justify paying an old man more than 6 million a year.
It's a pretty bad contract, so more or less the thread is:

Leafs fans: We gave him a good deal, right?
Everyone else: You overpaid and he's quite old. Not a bad player, just bad money
Leafs fans: **** you, he'll score 40 this year with Matthews and Nylander!!@312!

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

*log out*

giphy.gif

I want to nominate this for post of the year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

*log out*

"What are you talking about? We could totally trade a 40 year old with a 6.25m cap hit if his play falls off a cliff in his third year!!!"

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
"What are you talking about? We could totally trade a 40 year old with a 6.25m cap hit if his play falls off a cliff in his third year!!!"

They could, actually. Caphit of 6.25, salary of 4 million. A team like Arizona might have interest in him if it meant reaching the floor without actually paying that amount.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
They could, actually. Caphit of 6.25, salary of 4 million. A team like Arizona might have interest in him if it meant reaching the floor without actually paying that amount.

Arizona's been that go-to team for a while, but I think they're looking to finally make some progress and shed that reputation based on the moves they've made this offseason. I think Marleau also has a NMC too.

I think the most likely scenario is he'll retire by way of LTIR

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Arizona's been that go-to team for a while, but I think they're looking to finally make some progress and shed that reputation based on the moves they've made this offseason. I think Marleau also has a NMC too

The thing is, are they in a situation where they can afford to not be that team? They weren't taking on those contracts for the hell of it. They were trying to spend as little as they could. With the uncertainty of that franchise, I'm not sure that will change anytime soon.

I think them acquiring Hjalmarsson is an attempt to give OEL more reason to stay. If that fails, that team is severely ****ed.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The thing is, are they in a situation where they can afford to not be that team? They weren't taking on those contracts for the hell of it. They were trying to spend as little as they could. With the uncertainty of that franchise, I'm not sure that will change anytime soon.

I think them acquiring Hjalmarsson is an attempt to give OEL more reason to stay. If that fails, that team is severely ****ed.

That's a fair point. I think they're just above the cap floor as things stand right now, but they've also got loads of players coming off ELCs in the next 1-3 years which should help them a bit. If the intention of ownership is to keep them in Arizona, then most of those players have to be retained to ice a somewhat competitive team.

If it comes to the point where they need Marleau's cap hit, I think they would buy his last year out anyway. But I'm not sure he would waive his NMC clause for that which leads me to believe the Leafs will pull some stunt to put him on LTIR

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
They don't have to trade for Marleau though.

- Duncan Keith's salary at that point will minimal relative to his caphit. He'll be 36. A few other blackhawks have a similar situation. Chicago could rebuild or be in cap hell at that point, who knows?

- Zetterberg is a better comparable given his lack of NMC. And after next year, he'll be 38 with 3 years left on his deal, 6M AAV caphit. But 5.35M total salary left. 2M$ the last two years.

- Bergeron: 34 yo 4.4M x 3, Backes 35 yo 4M x 2, etc

...you get the point. I assume the leafs'll LTIR their way out of it but if not, the yotes can reach the floor without helping them.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
They don't have to trade for Marleau though.

- Duncan Keith's salary at that point will minimal relative to his caphit. He'll be 36. A few other blackhawks have a similar situation. Chicago could rebuild or be in cap hell at that point, who knows?

- Zetterberg is a better comparable given his lack of NMC. And after next year, he'll be 38 with 3 years left on his deal, 6M AAV caphit. But 5.35M total salary left. 2M$ the last two years.

- Bergeron: 34 yo 4.4M x 3, Backes 35 yo 4M x 2, etc

...you get the point. I assume the leafs'll LTIR their way out of it but if not, the yotes can reach the floor without helping them.

I'm not suggesting the Coyotes just take on Marleau without getting something in return. If they needed to reach the floor and Toronto was willing to give something up to make it happen, I'd imagine Arizona would have interest. They moved up in the draft to take on Datsyuk, a similar situation could come up again.

Pens re-signed Brian Dumoulin to a 6 year $4.1M AAV extension.

Good signing for the Penguins, glad Dumoulin got closer to his asking price.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm not suggesting the Coyotes just take on Marleau without getting something in return. If they needed to reach the floor and Toronto was willing to give something up to make it happen, I'd imagine Arizona would have interest. They moved up in the draft to take on Datsyuk, a similar situation could come up again.
Fair enough. Then I guess we agree.

Pens re-signed Brian Dumoulin to a 6 year $4.1M AAV extension.
minus the high term, pretty much what my calculator expected :P

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Zibanejad deal probably isn't a great comparable for Backlund given the differing usage and ages of the players, but Backlund's camp will certainly bring it up as an argument for why he should get well over $5mil

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Zibanejad deal probably isn't a great comparable for Backlund given the differing usage and ages of the players, but Backlund's camp will certainly bring it up as an argument for why he should get well over $5mil

Didn't they buy UFA years for Mika? RFA/UFA contracts are structured differently.
That all being said, I have 0 concerns about getting Backs re-upped here in town. 5x5, get'er done Tre.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
"Bennett wouldn't get you in the room to sniff Larsson."

Very weird world, eh.

Larsson was a high pick in a good draft; 3 1/2 years older than Bennett... did not live up to draft hype at all is more of a middle pairing Dman than a top pairing one; yet Bennett's a bust-ville because he's a third line centre at 21 and Larsson's one of the most underrated players in the league; even though he's going to be 25 and at best a #3 (being very kind) :dunno:

It's pretty brutal that no Flames thread can go without being harassed, to be fair, there are Flames people on the main boards who do the same thing for Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad