Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2010
55 million for ~21 other players. That's an average of 2.6m available for other roster players. That's crazy - 2.6m barely nets you a serviceable third-liner. IMAGINE if Draisaitl stumbles out of the gate and doesn't manage to drive his own line? That's 21 million dollars of cap space sitting on a very talented one-line team.

I'm not saying Draisaitl isn't worth the money. But the only real argument Oiler fans have right now is, "it's a good problem to have, to have players worth that much." :shakehead At least Toews and Kane won a few things for the team before their retirement contracts kicked in.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The bigger problem is that this takes away their ability to maneuver around the Lucic and RNH contracts. No GM is going to take on those contracts without major incentive.

This is the best part of it all. I don't think LD's contract is a gross overpayment (maybe by like 500-750k), but it has immediately made the Lucic and RNH ones albatrosses. There's no way they move those contracts without making themselves worse, and given the Oilers hilarious history of drafting and developing, the future may not be so bright anymore

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's going to be a long year of Nugent-Hopkins proposals for elite talent on entry level contracts. In the end, he'll moved largely as a cap dump, or in a best case scenario, something similar to the Eberle deal.

They're stuck with Lucic though. At least until the next round of compliance buyouts.

All this does really is cancel out the cap savings they were getting with Klefbom and Larsson's contracts. Talbot's extension will be interesting too as he'll be 32 when it starts.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Draisaitl likely ends up being worth that sort of money but they should've gotten those RFA years a lot cheaper. The Grease is in it deep this time

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
McDavid and Drai = $21 million
Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Hamilton = $23.5 million
Our entire D core (assuming Kulak around 900K) = $25.35 million

Interesting.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Man is that a lot of money for a player with one great season under his belt. There's one thing that I don't like about giving a player coming off an ELC max term and big dollar, and that is that it doesn't create a whole lot of incentive to get better. Bet the Oilers wished they hadn't burned a year in 14-15 for absolutely no reason.

It could still work out well, Draisaitl I think has a better chance of recreating his success than Hall, Nuge, or Eberle ever did. The team looks to be more stable now. Still tho, that's a big number to live up to.

Real glad we did most of our core signings last offseason :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Although:

McDavid, Drai, Klefbom, Larsson = $29.6m
Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Hamilton = $23.5m

I added our entire D core too.

Klefbom being on a sweetheart deal is gonna help. Larsson and Talbot raises are going to cause issues, though both Sekera and Russell come off at the same time as Larsson.

Also going to be interesting to see what happens with Nurse.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Hopefully JP breaks out for them next year, which would result in them having to pay him and Talbot big bucks at the same time, while still having Lucic, RNH, Russell & Sekera still on the books.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hopefully JP breaks out for them next year, which would result in them having to pay him and Talbot big bucks at the same time, while still having Lucic, RNH, Russell & Sekera still on the books.

I'd prefer if Pulju would bust rather than breaking out and giving the Oilers better players.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I'd prefer if Pulju would bust rather than breaking out and giving the Oilers better players.

I'd rather he bust too, I should have clarified, if he is to break out I'd rather it be next year, so they'd have to break the bank for him and Talbot, rather than have him sign a cheap contract then break out later.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
McDavid and Drai = $21 million
Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Hamilton = $23.5 million
Our entire D core (assuming Kulak around 900K) = $25.35 million

Interesting.

Most would take McDavid and Draisatl but I'd take those 4. That's two dmen who can play top pairing minutes and two forwards who will provide a minimum of 130 pts yearly.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Glad we got Monahan and Johnny under contract last year.

It really puts into perspective how good it actually was to burn one of the years off of Gaudreau's ELC with playing that one hockey game. Same thing goes for Bennett. We're probably better off signing him now than a year later in the case that he does get everything together.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
On the other hand, if Tkachuk puts up 70 points or more in either of the two next seasons, his floor would be the Gaudreau deal and could easily threaten 8M+ if the Flames want the full eight years.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
On the other hand, if Tkachuk puts up 70 points or more in either of the two next seasons, his floor would be the Gaudreau deal and could easily threaten 8M+ if the Flames want the full eight years.

Tkachuk will take a discount. Kid is from a hockey family, he knows money doesn't mean jack without a ring.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Tkachuk will take a discount. Kid is from a hockey family, he knows money doesn't mean jack without a ring.

Yeah, that's why Keith has a Stanley Cup ring.

I honestly don't understand people thinking players will be taking discounts. 95% will take what they can squeeze out.

Gaudreau would be making 7.5M+ had management not been as hard on him in negotiations and in turn started to make him look like the bad guy for wanting more money and missing the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad