Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Good for him. He's the best player in the league and someone's bound to get even more before this deal's over.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sounds like the Hurricanes have been sold for $500 million and will remain in Carolina.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Palat signed a 5 year $5.3M AAV extension with the Bolts, is that a good comparable to Backlund or not?

I think it's a good comparable in a lot of ways. Probably also helps us given that Palat is a bit of a bigger deal and more offensively inclined than Backlund and (supposedly) warrants a bigger paycheque. Gives Tre leverage to be able to say we're not paying him over 5 million.

I think the Backlund contract ends up being 4.5AAV, his play this next season probably determines whether they get him for four or for five years.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not sure why a winger like Palat would be comparable for a centre like Backlund.

Better comparisons would be Frans Nielsen (6yrs x 5.25M) and Valtteri Filppula (5yrs x 5M).

But when a guy like Brandon Sutter can get 4.375M x 5yrs, the notion of Backlund getting less than 5M per seems like a pipe dream.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think the thing that is gonna hurt us most with Backlund is him saying am I not worth Monahan, Gaudreau or Gio money?

Depends how it's argued. Historically, players got paid based on their offensive production first, and everything else second. That may be changing with the inclusion of analytics, but I doubt anything will ever truly supplant goals and assists as the most significant factor in valuation of a skater (forwards in particular).

Also, based on guys like Palat, who have similar (if not quite as extensive) defensive reputations with greater offensive production, I'd say around 5 is pretty fair/reasonable. Hopefully he does give a bit of a discount and we see him come in the 4-4.5 million range, though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Depends on what you mean by "best". He doesn't have the highest highs on our roster, but he's definitely the most consistent by a long shot.
you also can't ignore than Gaudreau and Monahan received money for their potential, Backlund will not.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Just saw the Parayko extension. No doubt that guy ends up a 50pt #1 D, big steal for St Louis.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dumoulin asking for 4.35 million. Pens offering 1.95 million.

Pittsburgh is lowballing him hard.
is that arbitration asks? because arbitration is a different beast and the team always goes way low and the player way high, which is why the arbitrator almost always chooses something in the middle or why they get settled first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce