Around the NHL #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Dubas just traded a 1st rounder for a 0.5ppg player who is past his prime, how much better is ROR going to get? I get it he was a very good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 with diminishing skill.

I know he has playoff experience, which is what he's paying for, but still, I don't think ROR is the difference maker in them getting by Tampa.

Reactions: Grimes and Nowotny

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
Too bad Leafs are not featured in this year's Hard Knocks or All or Nothing series.It would be so much fun to watch that actor that plays GM and their coprolalic coach to lose another 1st round series

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Dubas just traded a 1st rounder for a 0.5ppg player who is past his prime, how much better is ROR going to get? I get it he was a very good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 with diminishing skill.

I know he has playoff experience, which is what he's paying for, but still, I don't think ROR is the difference maker in them getting by Tampa.
That would be pretty good for your 3rd line center who kills penalties and can up the lineup if necessary. It provides much needed depth for a team that generally loses the depth battle and not the top lines battle.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Well…. They’ve gone the Edmonton route and set themselves up to play half court hockey.

We know how well it’s worked for the Oilers.
I don't think the teams are comparable. The Leafs are deeper at forward and D but the goalie position is a wildcard.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That would be pretty good for your 3rd line center who kills penalties and can up the lineup if necessary. It provides much needed depth for a team that generally loses the depth battle and not the top lines battle.
True, but would you have given up a 1st for a third line UFA? I guess TO thinks they are close and they are going for it.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
True, but would you have given up a 1st for a third line UFA?
I don't like giving up 1st's but let's be real, the Leafs are a much better team today than yesterday. And they lost no one that would be a Leaf before Matthews and Nylander decisions need to be finalized.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think the teams are comparable. The Leafs are deeper at forward and D but the goalie position is a wildcard.
I think the Leafs are better on D, but when healthy the others is a wash. Let's see how far they go this year in the playoffs.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think the Leafs are better on D, but when healthy the others is a wash. Let's see how far they go this year in the playoffs.
Leafs 3rd and 4th lines are now considerably better than Oilers. Leafs now have 5 NHL centers that are all capable of playing solid defensively.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't like giving up 1st's but let's be real, the Leafs are a much better team today than yesterday. And they lost no one that would be a Leaf before Matthews and Nylander decisions need to be finalized.
True. I have said many times that if a team thinks they are close they have to go all in. The SC is hard to win.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
True. I have said many times that if a team thinks they are close they have to go all in. The SC is hard to win.
Dubas preeser was interesting. Basically he was more comfortable giving up futures rather than players they already know and have protections for. If they don't win at least 1 round and play a very competitive 2nd round at minimum I think Dubas is done. Also not sure they keep Matthews and/or Nylander in same scenario so it's back to building again. So probably worth that cost to try???

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The premise is though to have so much firepower up front that you won’t have to spend time in your own end.

It’s never worked.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

I think they got him for his current face off abilities over his former scoring abilities. His value will be reflected in how many Maple Leafs playoff power play goals follow an ROR faceoff win.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Didn't Dubas said he won't use draft picks for rentals?Then he gets O'Reilly(32) and Acciari (31).Both will be UFA after this season
Have to wonder if ownership had a word with him after his comments about not trading futures for assets that can help right now.

If I was his boss, I’d have asked him to come in, close the door, and take a seat.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The premise is though to have so much firepower up front that you won’t have to spend time in your own end.

It’s never worked.
Again, The Leafs actually don't play that way. They play a much better team defence game. The stats prove that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad