Around The NHL #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They are fine for one year, then all hell breaks loose.
No, then they have a couple of high end UFA's but still plenty of good players. They will either sign or teade those UFA's or be loaded with always valuable Cap space, teams don't need to return all players annually. Im not Flames fan but I would take current position over keeping Tkachuk at that Cap anyday.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Plus a 9 million cheque, or whatever it works out to after tax, hitting your bank account in a single day is always fun.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No, then they have a couple of high end UFA's but still plenty of good players. They will either sign or teade those UFA's or be loaded with always valuable Cap space, teams don't need to return all players annually. Im not Flames fan but I would take current position over keeping Tkachuk at that Cap anyday.
This year Calgary wins the trade, after that I say Florida could make out like bandits. Calgary will trade those two if they won't sign with the Flames, and depending on return Calgary could be in for a world of hurt going forward.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
I do not see this deal helping Florida, they lost a top 4 dman and a very good 200 foot player that Walt junior can not match in all around performance. Calgary got two Canucks who they have a good chance of resigning. Lucic will be off the books next year so that will help. Flames really needed a puck moving dman. I never thought the Panthers would be the trade partner but I should have known since they panic every year and make rash decisions like Bob and all the picks they traded away along with the coaches and GM's nuked out. Maybe some cap guru will chime in and explain that they have to make these deals but it feels like Edmonton will continue to have a competitive rival down highway 2.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
When's the last time a 110+ point team got dismantled this thoroughly so quickly in one offseason? Sight to behold.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
When's the last time a 110+ point team got dismantled this thoroughly so quickly in one offseason? Sight to behold.
Must have felt they were at the end of the window and need another one fast.

I get the feeling they are going to trade their way into another one.

That…. and they needed a real name player to get more fans in the barn. 110 points and their attendance still sucks for a team of that caliber.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do not see this deal helping Florida, they lost a top 4 dman and a very good 200 foot player that Walt junior can not match in all around performance. Calgary got two Canucks who they have a good chance of resigning. Lucic will be off the books next year so that will help. Flames really needed a puck moving dman. I never thought the Panthers would be the trade partner but I should have known since they panic every year and make rash decisions like Bob and all the picks they traded away along with the coaches and GM's nuked out. Maybe some cap guru will chime in and explain that they have to make these deals but it feels like Edmonton will continue to have a competitive rival down highway 2.
Much will depend if they can sign these guys. They are kind of in the win now mode.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
With Knight at goalie, an average D will be enough while they start acquiring better D. With baby Walt Florida will score more and be tougher. Zito did just fine. I don’t value players w 1 year left too highly. Fla. gave up a 1st and some value for Tkachuk. At the minimum a fair deal, probably in Florida’s favor in the long run.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
With Knight at goalie, an average D will be enough while they start acquiring better D. With baby Walt Florida will score more and be tougher. Zito did just fine. I don’t value players w 1 year left too highly. Fla. gave up a 1st and some value for Tkachuk. At the minimum a fair deal, probably in Florida’s favor in the long run.
Florida scored the most goals in the League last season. They need better D, and they just got worse there. Tkachuk has shown he causes crap that he can't answer for, the Oilers owned him in that dept. Tampa will do the same. IMO this will be a regrettable contract.

Reactions: 87turbobuick

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Wonder why?? The major benefits of SB is an American working in Canada or visa versa, lockout protection, and buyout protection. Which of these concerns Tkachuk?
Signing bonuses are always better? You get money earlier in the year in a lump sum, which means it works for you earlier.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Signing bonuses are always better? You get money earlier in the year in a lump sum, which means it works for you earlier.
That would be a maybe, you could be investing it at the height of the market for that year. Or the low? Either way the investment benefit of lump sum or spaced out over the year is not certain.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
That would be a maybe, you could be investing it at the height of the market for that year. Or the low? Either way the investment benefit of lump sum or spaced out over the year is not certain.
You can still space out investments with a lump sum signing bonus... It just gives you flexibility and the ability to move money around easier. Idk why you'd ever not want to get everything lump sum if you could.

Plus it'll lower the out of state tax burden over the course of the year

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You can still space out investments with a lump sum signing bonus... It just gives you flexibility and the ability to move money around easier. Idk why you'd ever not want to get everything lump sum if you could.

Plus it'll lower the out of state tax burden over the course of the year
The 2nd part might be a reason, the 1st part just generally isnt. That's why I was asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad