Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Reactions: Stony Curtis

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

So that makes Mo, what? $10M? But isn't Dahlin signing $10.5M? in the near future? Shit is wild right now...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

So that makes Mo, what? $10M? But isn't Dahlin signing $10.5M? in the near future? Shit is wild right now...

What on earth? One season and you get 8 mil? I miss the days when players had to have 2-3 really good seasons in a row to even be in the ballpark of a great contract.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Was really hoping the lower end of 8 for Mo but this makes it a near certainty that won’t happen. Looking like 8.75-9. Have a hard time seeing Stevie Y go higher than Larkin even tho Mo’s market value should be higher

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Was really hoping the lower end of 8 for Mo but this makes it a near certainty that won’t happen. Looking like 8.75-9. Have a hard time seeing Stevie Y go higher than Larkin even tho Mo’s market value should be higher

I think Steve is a better negotiator than Dorion, so hopefully that plays a part.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

It's the Senators, they pay everyone $8M, including Chabot and Norris.

Agent: We want $7M....
Dorion: You'll take $8M and that's my final offer.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
80 games gets 8 million. Lots of contracts go by potential now but I don't personally like going that route unless I'm playing video games where potential is a almost a certainty to be reached. If you have a McDavid sure. It's similar to proposing to your high school sweet heart because everything is wonderful.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
80 games gets 8 million. Lots of contracts go by potential now but I don't personally like going that route unless I'm playing video games where potential is a almost a certainty to be reached. If you have a McDavid sure. It's similar to proposing to your high school sweet heart because everything is wonderful.

the thing is when everyone else is paying by potential you have to too in a cap world otherwise you'll be at a big disadvantage years down the line when other teams are saving millions on their best players and you have to pay market rate

and if your best players don't pan out you aren't gonna be a good team anyways

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
the thing is when everyone else is paying by potential you have to too in a cap world otherwise you'll be at a big disadvantage years down the line when other teams are saving millions on their best players and you have to pay market rate

and if your best players don't pan out you aren't gonna be a good team anyways

I think it's bad for the sport to set a standard where you must give these young players lifetime wealth before their 2nd season.

I'm all for the players getting their bag. Go for it.

But I mean as a fan of the NHL, these contracts could hurt the product on the ice because they are guaranteed for the duration. Having albatross contracts never makes for a better product.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think it's bad for the sport to set a standard where you must give these young players lifetime wealth before their 2nd season.

I'm all for the players getting their bag. Go for it.

But I mean as a fan of the NHL, these contracts could hurt the product on the ice because they are guaranteed for the duration. Having albatross contracts never makes for a better product.

eh somewhat, a couple counterpoints do come to mind on that though

that money has to come from somewhere especially with a cap, teams paying their young guys sooner means less money for throwing around stupid deals to free agents that are probably more likely to be albatrosses down the line anyways

this is just pure speculation on my part with nothing but gut feelings to back it up but I feel like teams being forced to pay promising youngsters sooner means less spinning their wheels on settling on a core to build around once they do get a couple pieces worth paying which probably leads to less tanking( in an aggregate sense across the league

so....mixed feelings I guess you could say

anyways my original post wasn't really a value judgment so much as a "other people are doing it so you're kinda forced into doing it too as a GM if you want to compete long-term whether you like it or not"

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I think while the Tkachuk, Stutzle, Hughes, Norris, Thompson, Cozens and Sanderson contracts are not bad. I also would be wary about having 5-6 of them on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

I think a lot of other teams including Ottawa would've been like oh yeah 8 years for Debrincat no problem! But it feels like Yzerman doesn't wanna have that happen to the Wings only for us to be a bubble team. There's an eject button in 4-5 years if our draft picks don't pan out and we need to reset the clock.

So it'll be interesting to see where the Sens land, do they push one year like New Jersey or just float in bubble space for all eternity.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I would be thrilled to get Mo to sign an 8 year deal with the first digit being an 8. The back 2/3 of that contract will be a total steal.

Mo is a better player than Sanderson and has proven more, his camp should be shooting for 9.5+. But his camp is run by someone I could never trust, and I am sure many in Red Wings management wants nothing to do with. This worries me all the time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
if Sanderson gets 8m, i guess Seider's camp should aim for 8.5+

FML.
I guess I don't see the issue. Mo shows every indication of being a player that deserves top money as he enters his prime, and Yzerman shows every indication of being a shrewd negotiator that still ultimately gets things done. (With plenty of long term cap flexibility at the moment.)

Even if Seider ends up with 8x$9M, I don't think it scuttles anything.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I would be thrilled to get Mo to sign an 8 year deal with the first digit being an 8. The back 2/3 of that contract will be a total steal.

Mo is a better player than Sanderson and has proven more, his camp should be shooting for 9.5+. But his camp is run by someone I could never trust, and I am sure many in Red Wings management wants nothing to do with. This worries me all the time.

I really doubt the Wings management are losing much sleep over what an agent currently managing $300m worth of contracts across the league did as a player 25 years ago

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I refuse to believe our asst GM and Mo's agent are going to act like nothing happened between the two of them.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

the timing of this coming a couple months after the death of Wirtz is a bit interesting and makes me wonder if there was some bad blood preventing it from that end like there is here with Fedorov

just interesting seeing some possible drama i've never really thought about before

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
the timing of this coming a couple months after the death of Wirtz is a bit interesting and makes me wonder if there was some bad blood preventing it from that end like there is here with Fedorov

just interesting seeing some possible drama i've never really thought about before
Imagine if they retire Chelios' number against the Wings...and Kane scores the game winning goal.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Careful.... a few people laughed at Tage's contract. doesn't seem so stupid now. Dorion watches Sanderson more than we do.

(That being said, I don't like that contract

Net zero sum game. The best players in the world will be playing in the NHL regardless. They're not gonna go sling burgers at McDonalds because Dorion capped out. Where else would players go? There's such a huge discrepancy in pay between the NHL and any other league, NHL league min is higher than SHL's highest paid player.

The contract could hurt Ottawa if Dorion's assessment of Sanderson is wrong, but who cares.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

The blackhawks fans hatred towards Chelios has always been stupid. He got traded by a rotten owner who was never going to pay near what he was worth.

It’s not like protected a sexual abuser for over a decade or anything.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

1694209439571.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad