News Article: Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wonder what it would take to get this done. Rasmussen and Kasper? Rasmussen and Danielson? Raymond and Danielson?
I'd go with a 1st, Raz, and Ray because getting Pettersson means no cap space for their new contracts. I'd ship Copp out, but I doubt VAN would want him.

We'd have to Bouchard Mo as well for cap space. Petterson will be $11M minimum to re-sign. Would be nearly impossible to make that work with a big boy Mo extension right away. And Ray would also need a baby bridge. That gets dangerous in a hurry to bridge two guys you hope are in your core.

Not to mention you need at least a first and another A quality piece moving out. At that level of assets it gets squeamish.

And another not to mention, we'd have to demonstrate being in a better spot than Vancouver moving forward. Haven't yet.
Not really, Perron, Sprong, and Ghost are on expiring contracts. Send Raz and Ray to Vancouver, and send Fabbri to Arizona or LTIR or both. Copp and Chiarot could both be dumped as well if there are any takers. Salary cap is projected to go up so that also helps. Good GMs figure out ways to make salaries fit.

Squeamish about spending a first and top tier prospect for a 24 YO 100 pt center? Really? That would be a bargain, it'll take a lot more.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I wonder what it would take to get this done. Rasmussen and Kasper? Rasmussen and Danielson? Raymond and Danielson?
Alot. Pettersson is an elite franchise center you can build a cup winner around...it would cost 4 1st round quality assets at least.

Probably any 3 of Raymond, Edvinsson, Cossa, Kasper, Danielson, or ASP...plus a 1st.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
On top of Ras and a Kasper? Yes.
You only said 1st and a top tier prospect. I said Raz and Ray and 1st. You're changing the argument, at no point did either one of us mention Kasper.

If Stevie was willing to let Kasper go, we'd already have Horvat. So that's kinda moot point.

My opinion is that Kasper is better built for playoffs than Raymond, but we'll see how that works out.

I think it is a mistake to think Pettersson would be a 100 point player for us.
Why not? DBoss would be dropped down to 2C, so Pettersson would be playing with Shitty Kitty and Perron or the winger that doesn't get traded.

Even if EP doesn't get 100, DBoss gets more favorable matchups, so he'll probably light it up. Imagine Larkin against second pair D and lower lines. He's basically 1PPG with second line wingers against top pair D.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You only said 1st and a top tier prospect. I said Raz and Ray and 1st. You're changing the argument, at no point did either one of us mention Kasper.

If Stevie was willing to let Kasper go, we'd already have Horvat. So that's kinda moot point.

My opinion is that Kasper is better built for playoffs than Raymond, but we'll see how that works out.

Why not? DBoss would be dropped down to 2C, so Pettersson would be playing with Shitty Kitty and Perron or the winger that doesn't get traded.

Even if EP doesn't get 100, DBoss gets more favorable matchups, so he'll probably light it up. Imagine Larkin against second pair D and lower lines. He's basically 1PPG with second line wingers against top pair D.
In addition to Ras and the grade A prospect listed by Rice. If I missed an and, my bad, but Pettersson is at least 4 grade A pieces (edit- I see what I did, I put the another in the wrong place, it was supposed to be another first and grade A not a first and another grade A). That's my point of contention. Ras and Kasper are already worth more IMO than what they got for Horvat. Pettersson is worth quite a bit more.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pettersson is worth quite a bit more.
He may very well be. But I also think that Vancouver won't get anything close to his actual value if they end up dealing him. 1) Because that sometimes happens with guys leaving town, and 2) because Vancouver isn't exactly best in class for shrewd reputation.

I could see him going for something like Kasper, Rasmussen, and a 1st.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In addition to Ras and the grade A prospect listed by Rice. If I missed an and, my bad, but Pettersson is at least 4 grade A pieces (edit- I see what I did, I put the another in the wrong place, it was supposed to be another first and grade A not a first and another grade A). That's my point of contention. Ras and Kasper are already worth more IMO than what they got for Horvat. Pettersson is worth quite a bit more.
Fair enough, I would do 3 but 4 is questionable. Pettersson makes this a playoff team, so even 4 might be worth it depending on which 4.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
What are people's thoughts on this? Seider definitely fits in the top 10. Too early to slot Ray there just yet.

I think this is a better fan poll than the
One HFBoards did. The analytics crowd are generally more likely to try and be objective rather than letting their subjective fan driven biases cloud their opinions. Not saying that it's a perfect science of them acting "100% objectively," but it's at least better.

Like for example, in the main forum here earlier this summer, the entire Sabres board made it a point to brigade the centers poll to make sure Tage Thompson got voted ahead of Jack Eichel lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think this is a better fan poll than the
One HFBoards did. The analytics crowd are generally more likely to try and be objective rather than letting their subjective fan driven biases cloud their opinions. Not saying that it's a perfect science of them acting "100% objectively," but it's at least better.

Like for example, in the main forum here earlier this summer, the entire Sabres board made it a point to brigade the centers poll to make sure Tage Thompson got voted ahead of Jack Eichel lol.
Yeah, cuz that's some wild and crazy opinion... VGK is riding a serious cup-hype wave right now. 5 top 50 skaters is a bit silly.

Fair enough, I would do 3 but 4 is questionable. Pettersson makes this a playoff team, so even 4 might be worth it depending on which 4.
Maybe, the issue I have is that Ras and Kasper are exactly the types of forwards we want on this team when we get there. I'd rather slow it up and have those pieces than not.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Yeah, cuz that's some wild and crazy opinion... VGK is riding a serious cup-hype wave right now. 5 top 50 skaters is a bit silly.

Maybe, the issue I have is that Ras and Kasper are exactly the types of forwards we want on this team when we get there. I'd rather slow it up and have those pieces than not.

Ugh do really need to be passive aggressive and try to fight about every nothing burger you read that you read and disagree with? When have you ever successfully used passive-aggression or "snarky" sarcasm to change someone's mind on the internet...because that's not really how life works. But, well, since you want to play, can you please point me to where I said it was a "wild crazy opinion"?

Thompson is a really good player, I think that debate is close, for the record. The Sabres board did absolutely brigade that poll though, someone mentioned in one of those threads at the time that they were recruiting people on their forum to go and male sure Tage got voted ahead of Eichel. All I said was this is a fan forum, and jfresh is a hockey analytics guy. They serve two entirely different purposes and I merely stated which one I preferred in a "fan vote", because, well, the guy who shared it literally asked what we thought of the poll.

:huh:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What are people's thoughts on this? Seider definitely fits in the top 10. Too early to slot Ray there just yet.

not that big a deal since it's only one year but one thing that jumped out to me is #10 LD feels a bit low for Morrisey with the season he just had

Reactions: WaW

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ugh do really need to be passive aggressive and try to fight about every nothing burger you read that you read and disagree with? When have you ever successfully used passive-aggression or "snarky" sarcasm to change someone's mind on the internet...because that's not really how life works. But, well, since you want to play, can you please point me to where I said it was a "wild crazy opinion"?

Thompson is a really good player, I think that debate is close, for the record. The Sabres board did absolutely brigade that poll though, someone mentioned in one of those threads at the time that they were recruiting people on their forum to go and male sure Tage got voted ahead of Eichel. All I said was this is a fan forum, and jfresh is a hockey analytics guy. They serve two entirely different purposes and I merely stated which one I preferred in a "fan vote", because, well, the guy who shared it literally asked what we thought of the poll.

:huh:
When you brought it up in the first place? Nothing wrong with getting people to vote for the right guy.

As for the stuff in front of that... I didn't DM you. Responding to a post of yours in a thread, doesn't mean you're the only one I'm communicating with. Someone posts something. Someone else disagrees with it. So they respond. The likelihood of either swaying each other is so slim it's not even worth replying. But these posts get read by others. They can see what is presented by either side and make up their own minds. The internet is not life, things work a bit different here.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Really cool long-form interview with Mo dropped a couple days ago. Helps if you speak German, gonna try and capture the bits that are most interesting for Wing fans. IE contract discussion.

Question: You obviously can earn a lot more in North America, in the NHL, than you can in Germany. A LOT more money depending on the contract. Is that an interest to you as a professional? Of course it is important what you earn, but is that a motivation to do more or do you not pay any attention to what your contract is whether's it's 2.5 or 1.5? [presumably millions of dollars/euros]

Mo: Um, that's a good question. For me personally, and everyone can see it differently, but I think our careers are so short and in a short time span, that I think it does make a difference whether I now, I don't know, make 7 million or 8.5 million for 8 years, per year. And I find everyone tries to get that contract as high as possible. Some may say he's overpaid some may say he's underpaid, but everyone earned it and I believe that. And of course you want to sign the best possible contract for yourself, but with the background understanding that you want to have a functioning team. It's not like in football [soccer] that everyone can earn as much as they want. For us we have an upper salary limit, and when you reach it, you're done. And you still have to look to make sure you've got 18 people standing on the playing field, and 2 goalies that somehow can play for the championship together. Then you've got to find a good middle ground, maybe not looking for that one or other Euro [I'm assuming MO is talking in the sense of currency] and maybe leaving it out and then maybe someone else can come in and that would naturally make the team better. And that's why it's a very fine line. And I think there's no right or wrong of course. Because everyone has to make sure their own rolls are baked. [gotta love idioms] And that they are looking out for their retirement. But of course everyone is pushing for that big goal [I'm assuming he's talking championship with this goal]. That's a very difficult question for me.

Edit - but to add, the whole thing is cool if you can find a way to translate. This one minute section of a half hour took me long enough, that I'm not about to do the whole thing. The built in translated-CCs get you maybe 80% of the way. It misses a lot if it wasn't said with perfect diction. Basically any kind of proper noun or name it doesn't capture properly. EDIT 2 fixed a couple literal translations to better fitting phrases.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Our new goalie Alex Lyon was playing too good in the AHL and almost got a coach fired.

The Chicago Wolves announced their decision to become independent, while the Norfolk Admirals struck a deal with the Winnipeg Jets.

For Chicago, their move away from the Hurricanes’ organization stemmed from the desire to win over developing Carolina’s prospects. During the 2022 Calder Cup Finals, the Hurricanes’ front office threatened to fire then Wolves head coach Ryan Warsofsky if he continued to play goaltender Alex Lyon over Pyotr Kochetkov, according to Inside AHL Hockey.

“Our coach was being dictated on who to play in goal,” said Chicago general manager Wendell Young. “Lineups had to go through Carolina.”

Kochetkov made his NHL playoff debut in Carolina, earning a 1-2 record with a .950 save percentage before returning to the AHL for the Wolves’ postseason run.

Lyon, who was 28 at the time, was, in Chicago’s mind, the netminder that gave them the best opportunity to win, while the Hurricanes’ focus was on developing Kochetkov. Lyon appeared in 12 postseason games with the Wolves, allowing 2.03 goals per contest with a .923 save percentage.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Really cool long-form interview with Mo dropped a couple days ago. Helps if you speak German, gonna try and capture the bits that are most interesting for Wing fans. IE contract discussion.

Question: You obviously can earn a lot more in North America, in the NHL, than you can in Germany. A LOT more money depending on the contract. Is that an interest to you as a professional? Of course it is important what you earn, but is that a motivation to do more or do you not pay any attention to what your contract is whether's it's 2.5 or 1.5? [presumably millions of dollars/euros]

Mo: Um, that's a good question. For me personally, and everyone can see it differently, but I think our careers are so short and in a short time span, that I think it does make a difference whether I now, I don't know, make 7 million or 8.5 million for 8 years, per year. And I find everyone tries to get that contract as high as possible. Some may say he's overpaid some may say he's underpaid, but everyone earned it and I believe that. And of course you want to sign the best possible contract for yourself, but with the background understanding that you want to have a functioning team. It's not like in football [soccer] that everyone can earn as much as they want. For us we have an upper salary limit, and when you reach it, you're done. And you still have to look to make sure you've got 18 people standing on the playing field, and 2 goalies that somehow can play for the championship together. Then you've got to find a good middle ground, maybe not looking for that one or other Euro [I'm assuming MO is talking in the sense of currency] and maybe leaving it out and then maybe someone else can come in and that would naturally make the team better. And that's why it's a very fine line. And I think there's no right or wrong of course. Because everyone has to make sure their own rolls are baked. [gotta love idioms] And that they are looking out for their retirement. But of course everyone is pushing for that big goal [I'm assuming he's talking championship with this goal]. That's a very difficult question for me.

Edit - but to add, the whole thing is cool if you can find a way to translate. This one minute section of a half hour took me long enough, that I'm not about to do the whole thing. The built in translated-CCs get you maybe 80% of the way. It misses a lot if it wasn't said with perfect diction. Basically any kind of proper noun or name it doesn't capture properly. EDIT 2 fixed a couple literal translations to better fitting phrases.

Noah: "Do you even know what an idiom is?" Archer: "A colloquial metaphor"

Hey, that's cool about Seider. He's gonna want his, obviously as anyone should, but he also wants to play with better players.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Our new goalie Alex Lyon was playing too good in the AHL and almost got a coach fired.

The Chicago Wolves announced their decision to become independent, while the Norfolk Admirals struck a deal with the Winnipeg Jets.

For Chicago, their move away from the Hurricanes’ organization stemmed from the desire to win over developing Carolina’s prospects. During the 2022 Calder Cup Finals, the Hurricanes’ front office threatened to fire then Wolves head coach Ryan Warsofsky if he continued to play goaltender Alex Lyon over Pyotr Kochetkov, according to Inside AHL Hockey.

“Our coach was being dictated on who to play in goal,” said Chicago general manager Wendell Young. “Lineups had to go through Carolina.”

Kochetkov made his NHL playoff debut in Carolina, earning a 1-2 record with a .950 save percentage before returning to the AHL for the Wolves’ postseason run.

Lyon, who was 28 at the time, was, in Chicago’s mind, the netminder that gave them the best opportunity to win, while the Hurricanes’ focus was on developing Kochetkov. Lyon appeared in 12 postseason games with the Wolves, allowing 2.03 goals per contest with a .923 save percentage.
This is why I'm glad the relationship between the Wings and GR is strong, and that the affiliate is in the NHL team's regional market. You can sell people to go to GR games on "we're set on developing Red Wings prospects first and foremost, come watch the kids play some good competitive hockey". You can't sell Chicago Wolves fans on "we're developing Carolina Hurricanes players first and foremost".

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

For more context that is left out from the tweet summary, they're going to discriminate/give preference for ticket sales based on zipcode.

This might be the absolute most cringe NHL related story I've read this offseason. Complete lack of self awareness too if the Sabres don't realize how significant of a fanbase they have within the golden horseshoe. Many of their own diehard fans are gonna be casualties of this policy.

I'm glad the Wings organization doesn't treat its hefty Canadian fanbase like this. I'd feel betrayed if I were a Canadian Sabres fan and didn't pass their zipcode/postal code check.

Here's a more logical solution to fighting large road crowds. Don't put an absolute dogshit product on the ice for over 15 years in a row so that your fans have a reason to spend money to go watch the team?

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

For more context that is left out from the tweet summary, they're going to discriminate/give preference for ticket sales based on zipcode.

This might be the absolute most cringe NHL related story I've read this offseason. Complete lack of self awareness too if the Sabres don't realize how significant of a fanbase they have within the golden horseshoe. Many of their own diehard fans are gonna be casualties of this policy.

I'm glad the Wings organization doesn't treat its hefty Canadian fanbase like this. I'd feel betrayed if I were a Canadian Sabres fan and didn't pass their zipcode/postal code check.

Here's a more logical solution to fighting large road crowds. Don't put an absolute dogshit product on the ice for over 15 years in a row so that your fans have a reason to spend money to go watch the team?

Agreed. They're going to show up to half-empty barns, or they're going to find all their loyal fans have to buy on the secondary market. That's not going to make them happy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't know, it prolly depends on how well they can fine tune their filter. If they can extend to the presale to just outside St. Catherines , ON I'm not sure how many Sabre fans exist beyond that because you're getting way closer to Toronto at that point.

Will this work perfectly? Almost certainly not, but I can appreciate Buffalo trying.

Reactions: Bench

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I wouldn't mind if some teams held local ticket sales on a weekend. Cheaper tickets than online but you have to come to the arena in person to buy them. Let actual fans have the opportunity to go see games. They could even make all the tickets in the same section or two so you have that crowd solidarity.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Buy season tix or get a mini plan with a few games. That's the best way to get good tix at a reasonable price. Single game tix are necessarily going to be interesting to visiting fans.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Sabres season ticket holders don't even want this either as they sell their Leaf tickets to Leafs fans for more than they paid. Sabres season ticket holders are already saying this whole thing won't work, because way too many STH's sell seats to games against teams like Toronto, because Leaf fans will pay more than Sabres fans paid for them, and the Leafs fans still get seats cheaper even with markup than if they went to TO. Both sides win. Ottawa fans apparently do the same when TO is in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad