Around the League XXXVI: Fire all the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They have needed goalie for decades

Had a good kid in Bob but they blew it there. I liked Hextall but he was always overrated and his 2nd tour with Flyers he was on decline
you are right but don't they have a nice selection of young prospective goalies in there system now.... problem is they are yrs away.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Apparently Q says the rumors of his employment are untrue, at least at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me. I have issues with Q's coaching, but I don't think he's an idiot. I think he's smart enough to know that the only thing separating him from Bruce Boudreau, given the fact he spent his first decade coaching getting kicked out of the playoffs in the first 2 rounds as well, was being handed the keys to a ferrari ready to win and riding them to 3 cups. Philly is on the way up but still has holes.

They have the money to give him, but I think he knows if he goes to a team with anything less than the talent the Blackhawks had, he's just setting himself up for failure and risking tarnishing perception of his legacy.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Apparently Q says the rumors of his employment are untrue, at least at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me. I have issues with Q's coaching, but I don't think he's an idiot. I think he's smart enough to know that the only thing separating him from Bruce Boudreau, given the fact he spent his first decade coaching getting kicked out of the playoffs in the first 2 rounds as well, was being handed the keys to a ferrari ready to win. Philly is on the way up but still has holes.

They have the money to give him, but I think he knows if he goes to a team with anything less than the talent the Blackhawks had, he's just setting himself up for failure and risking tarnishing perception of his legacy.

can't dispute what you wrote.

excellent !!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As always JD trashing Q and giving him no credit for Hawks success

Ouch not only are Q reports untrue but so are the Hakstol fired reports

Brutal day for Flyer fans

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They cant make it official yet so it could be happening still. Gotta actually work out a deal with how much Philly vs the hawks will pay Him too

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They cant make it official yet so it could be happening still. Gotta actually work out a deal with how much Philly vs the hawks will pay Him too
excellent point. never thought they would need to make a contract. only pay chi the difference.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
TSN and NBC Philly running with Issac story but other reports saying its not true

Should have fired Haks long ago and would at least not be having issues on that part

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
As always JD trashing Q and giving him no credit for Hawks success

Ouch not only are Q reports untrue but so are the Hakstol fired reports

Brutal day for Flyer fans

You think Q wins with a roster less talented than the ones afforded to him by the Blackhawks?

Cause I don't think there's a chance in HELL he wins with either of the two PIT squads Sullivan won with, or the WSH squad Trotz won with.

Now granted, both those teams had the advantage of top4 D that Q chased out of town, but still...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Daley quit on Hawks demanding trade and was properly slotted as #5. His play with Hawks like his play thru career was that of an average defender at best

Pens also won cup with him in press box watching

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Daley quit on Hawks demanding trade and was properly slotted as #5. His play with Hawks like his play thru career was that of an average defender at best

Pens also won cup with him in press box watching

Both Daley AND Kempny requested trades as a result of Q's misusage, and both credit the trades for saving their careers (and for allowing them to actually win cups, obviously).

You didn't answer the question as to whether you think Joel Quenneville, he of 3 cups with a loaded roster after 10 years of playoff disappointment, could win with rosters that had holes as significant as the 2016 Pens, the 2017 Pens or the 2018 Capitals. Cause I don't think he could have.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Fine. You didn't answer the question as to whether you think Joel Quenneville, he of 3 cups with a loaded roster after 10 years of playoff disappointment, could win with rosters that had holes as significant as the 2016 Pens, the 2017 Pens or the 2018 Capitals. Cause I don't think he could have.
Those pens holes were the same as the 15 hawks holes. No D depth yet that somehow to people like you ignore that playing your top 4 that way is a entirely coaching made decision.

People act like any coach would just have it to overload their D like that. Yeah he limits offense but it's not like the system and D focus was not Jennings winning and cup winning. It's not system and coaching irrelevant when your specific style of D focus leads your team in success that way.

Reactions: clydesdale line

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Those pens holes were the same as the 15 hawks holes. No D depth yet that somehow to people like you ignore that playing your top 4 that way is a entirely coaching made decision.

People act like any coach would just have it to overload their D like that. Yeah he limits offense but it's not like the system and D focus was not Jennings winning and cup winning. It's not system and coaching irrelevant when your specific style of D focus leads your team in success that way.

I would sure as shit hope it was a coaching decision, after he spent the entire season before hand refusing to play any of the guys he was left with outside the top 4. It would have been ridiculous if Q had spent 82 games basically refusing to let the depth D see ice, and overplaying the rotting corpse of Rozsival, only to turn around and say 'ok, you guys get 12 minutes a night now in the conference finals'. Of COURSE he had nobody to turn to at that point, he had made his bed. Thankfully for him, and the team, the top 4 were capable of going full tilt for 2 rounds.

Instead he was left with 4 D he trusted, who were capable of carrying the load, and a bunch of guys he only trusted to play bottom pairing minutes....which was actually an UPGRADE over the previous scenario, where he trusted a number 5 Dman (Rozsival... who was barely a #5 at that point) to play ON A PAIRING WITH DUNCAN KEITH.

That Rozsival injury saved that playoff run by saving Joel Quenneville from himself. If the top 4D weren't capable of handling it, we would have been ****ed. But they were, so we turned out better off than we could have been had Q been able to continue over-playing his guy. The Lightning and Ducks would have torn Rozsival apart.

Also, while both the 2015 Blackhawks and 2016 Penguins lacked D depth, comparing the top 4 the Blackhawks had at the time to the top 4 the Pens had in 2016 (let alone 2017) is legitimately laughable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I would sure as **** hope it was a coaching decision, after he spent the entire season before hand refusing to play any of the guys he was left with outside the top 4. It would have been ridiculous if Q had spent 82 games basically refusing to let the depth D see ice, and overplaying the rotting corpse of Rozsival, only to turn around and say 'ok, you guys get 12 minutes a night now in the conference finals'. Of COURSE he had nobody to turn to at that point, he had made his bed. Thankfully for him, and the team, the top 4 were capable of going full tilt for 2 rounds.

Instead he was left with 4 D he trusted, who were capable of carrying the load, and a bunch of guys he only trusted to play bottom pairing minutes....which was actually an UPGRADE over the previous scenario, where he trusted a number 5 Dman (Rozsival... who was barely a #5 at that point) to play ON A PAIRING WITH DUNCAN KEITH.

That Rozsival injury saved that playoff run by saving Joel Quenneville from himself. If the top 4D weren't capable of handling it, we would have been ****ed. But they were, so we turned out better off than we could have been had Q been able to continue over-playing his guy. The Lightning and Ducks would have torn Rozsival apart.
Even though rozi was playing well both playoff series that year. Yeah he was bad when he and Leddy could be attacked and had no exit outlet. Yet no argument makes sense for focusing on reality of the 15 playoffs. He was doing well taking those minutes and advanced stats or eye test and goal results wise he was well. Its pre determined devotion to a thought to ignore the relaily of those results.

They probably wouldn't of struggled with that D as harsh the vs the ducks or lightning(resulting to put tvr, cumisky, or anybody to eat RD minutes to help Hammer and Seabs)

If you're pulling that same regard the pens were lucky Daley go hurt after he actually was brutal coasting them a game vs Rangers. And the next year he was their 6th d all season and 3rd pair in the playoffs. Not some top 4 key assets to the win

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Even though rozi was playing well both playoff series that year. Yeah he was bad when he and Leddy could be attacked and had no exit outlet. Yet no argument makes sense for focusing on reality of the 15 playoffs. He was doing well taking those minutes and advanced stats or eye test and goal results wise he was well. Its pre determined devotion to a thought to ignore the relaily of those results.

They probably wouldn't of struggled with that D as harsh the vs the ducks or lightning(resulting to put tvr, cumisky, or anybody to eat RD minutes to help Hammer and Seabs)

Michal Rozsival had a 41% GF%, the worst of any dman on the Blackhawks in the 2015 playoffs aside from Cumiskey and TVR, who played less than the half the minutes he did (an 8th the minutes, in TVR's case), and he somehow managed this feat only playing the two first rounds. He was carved apart by the likes of Nashville and Minnesota. If you think he would have been better off against Anaheim and Tampa, while getting close to double the minutes worth of exposure that the guys filling in for him on the bottom pair did... ok. lol

He would have been carved up.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

It still amazes me people still discredit Q with the championships, especially the '15 one. That was just brilliant coaching with a flawed roster. Obviously had his hiccups (fresh legs and a few others) but he was pressing all the right buttons on that one.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

It wouldn't surprise me. I have issues with Q's coaching, but I don't think he's an idiot. I think he's smart enough to know that the only thing separating him from Bruce Boudreau, given the fact he spent his first decade coaching getting kicked out of the playoffs in the first 2 rounds as well, was being handed the keys to a ferrari ready to win and riding them to 3 cups. Philly is on the way up but still has holes.

Not even a little bit of credit? Come on.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It still amazes me people still discredit Q with the championships, especially the '15 one. That was just brilliant coaching with a flawed roster. Obviously had his hiccups (fresh legs and a few others) but he was pressing all the right buttons on that one.
i have always assume that most fans really do not understand the intricacy of being an nhl coach in today's hockey.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Rozi was awful in 15. He was bad early against Nashville, had a good game, one outstanding game and was alright against Minny before getting hurt.

Q used him way, way, way too much. It’s funny that BWC loves to trash JC for misusing Manning/Seabrook but never said anything about his boy Rozi playing terrible hockey.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad