Around the League XXXVI: Fire all the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The NHL has a dilemma. Do they suspend a player for pushing another player down who happens to get hurt from the play and reportedly has concussion-like symptoms? Petersson is a budding star but is 170 lbs soaking wet? Mike Matheson is a tough but not a dirty Dman and plays like these are common in the NHL - usually the player bounces right up.

There's also the question of what caused the injury. I say it was the clean hit that caused the injury and not the push to the ice afterward. I also say absolutely no suspension. DRAW THE LINE.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The NHL has a dilemma. Do they suspend a player for pushing another player down who happens to get hurt from the play and reportedly has concussion-like symptoms? Petersson is a budding star but is 170 lbs soaking wet? Mike Matheson is a tough but not a dirty Dman and plays like these are common in the NHL - usually the player bounces right up.

There's also the question of what caused the injury. I say it was the clean hit that caused the injury and not the push to the ice afterward. I also say absolutely no suspension. DRAW THE LINE.

Based on?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Based on the fact that his head did not have any contact whatsoever from Matheson or from the ice when he went down.

I thought Mathewson avoided contact to the head and made contact with his collarbone area.

However I’m pretty sure his face and/or side of his head landed on the ice, but I’d have to watch again.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Based on the fact that his head did not have any contact whatsoever from Matheson or from the ice when he went down.

This is not true though. He drove EP done to the nice making clear contact with his head on the way. The initial hit was fine but the choke slam to the ice is not. That is not even remotely close to a hockey play.

NHL got this right.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tkachuk is such an ass to play against, hahahaha love this kid...he pissed off the Stars so bad after an absolutely dominating shift, 3 players went after him after looking stupid trapped in their zone for 1:30 and he just laughs at them!

Reactions: CNote and pvr

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This is not true though. He drove EP done to the nice making clear contact with his head on the way. The initial hit was fine but the choke slam to the ice is not. That is not even remotely close to a hockey play.

NHL got this right.

I agree with your description of the incident, disagree that the NHL got it right. Should have been 5 games.

Enough coddling wannabe tough-guys instead of protecting stars.

Frankly, I hope the next CBA allows for longer suspensions off the bat, without having to wait til somebody is a repeat offender like Torres or Wilson to really hand down something with teeth.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

NHL got this right.

You must watch the game on a 7 inch screen if you truly think you saw Matheson make contact to the head at any time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tkachuk is such an ass to play against, hahahaha love this kid...he pissed off the Stars so bad after an absolutely dominating shift, 3 players went after him after looking stupid trapped in their zone for 1:30 and he just laughs at them!
and now he scores a goal from the dirty area!!! kid is a beast

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You must watch the game on a 7 inch screen if you truly think you saw Matheson make contact to the head at any time.

You must be blind if you can’t see him drive him to the ice and make contact with his head it is obvious. This is hockey not WWE.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with your description of the incident, disagree that the NHL got it right. Should have been 5 games.

Enough coddling wannabe tough-guys instead of protecting stars.

Frankly, I hope the next CBA allows for longer suspensions off the bat, without having to wait til somebody is a repeat offender like Torres or Wilson to really hand down something with teeth.

1st time offender.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Dallas is still a one line team, nothing changed from last year, they don’t scare me.

The Blues are a mess right now, we’ll see if Yeo gets canned soon but it’s bad news for them if Petro can’t turn it around, he’s carried that team for years.

Nashville looks like the class of the central, and I get the feeling we match up poorly again this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the Stars were so dominating they pulled Bishop with 7 minutes to go...lol, yep thats right...7 minutes to go because they couldn't generate shit besides weak outside chances and barely any second chances. Ottawa was faster, worked harder, and simply outplayed the Stars...

and now the Wild lose too!!!

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You must be blind if you can’t see him drive him to the ice and make contact with his head it is obvious. This is hockey not WWE.

You conveniently changed what you originally said with another personal attack to say it. Your superiority complex is nauseating.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You conveniently changed what you originally said with another personal attack to say it. Your superiority complex is nauseating.

Hahahaha. Nothing I said implies superiority and I did not change my stance at all. What’s nauseating is you thinking since you quest if I watch the game on a 7” monitor but then when I shoot back you cry wolf.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Pretty obvious that the initial hit was fine. The finish with slamming him to the ice was what concussed him, and was not ok. Correct call to suspend him a couple, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad