Around the League XXXVI: Fire all the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Days ago Bobby Mac talked about how NHL views Austin , TX as possible NHL city down line and that Houston Rockets owner didn't have interest in bringing team to Houston at this time

Now this

I hope that Houston eventually ends up with team

Wonder if the Austin/NHL talk may have caught attention of Fertitta and that he is reevaluating his position on NHL team

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Canes pathetic display of hockey was on full display last night vs Leafs.

TT still playing charmin soft as is the whole team.

this is not in ref to TT or any other player but this style which is bode, isn't this the new style of the nhl ??

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Days ago Bobby Mac talked about how NHL views Austin , TX as possible NHL city down line and that Houston Rockets owner didn't have interest in bringing team to Houston at this time

Now this

I hope that Houston eventually ends up with team

Wonder if the Austin/NHL talk may have caught attention of Fertitta and that he is reevaluating his position on NHL team

Thats interesting, given the yotes are moving to the central when seattle moves in, would kinda make sense geographically and travel/time zone wise. I hear houston is growing like crazy, so it makes sense the league would consider it. They already have all the other major sports covered but i guess the question still stands, would they support a hockey team? Probably more than arizona but thats at best a guess on my part.

Austin is known for being a great market for music and art and they have that whole stay weird culture which I love, but outside of that MLS team they dont have any pro teams so that could be an opportunity, but that also could be the case for a reason ie: the longhorns or sports dont have much appeal but again thats just my speculation as I have pretty limited knowledge about their market.

One things for sure the yotes time in arizona is limited

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Austin is also a fast growing city/metro

I believe it is one of the bigger markets in US without a major sports team if not biggest at this point

So like Vegas down line city could look to put itself on sports map thus why NHL looks at it as potential market down line

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can’t see anyone else but Tampa winning the Cup this year. They’ve got “it” and it shows.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Austin is also a fast growing city/metro

I believe it is one of the bigger markets in US without a major sports team if not biggest at this point

So like Vegas down line city could look to put itself on sports map thus why NHL looks at it as potential market down line

I am not sure Austin would be a great hockey market. Houston could work due to their population. Better than AZ imo.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Austin, from what I can tell, has one huge pro and one major con.

Pro: Hockey would be the only sport that wouldn't face fan competition with the Longhorns. That's a potential one-niche market that doesn't have an alternative collegiate option as competition there. Hoping to be a warmer Columbus without a varsity hockey team.

Con: Austin is the mother of all transplant cities, so while there are a load of northerners that live there now, I'm not sure that there's a big local fanbase wanting to root for a team.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wasn't sure to put this. On the latest puck soup, Wysch is interviewing Paul Lukas, who writes the "uni watch" column on ESPN. So, he writes and reports on uniforms in sports. He said, that his guy in Chicago, said the Hawks weren't reordering the red jersey's because their is a change coming to the collar next year. He wasn't sure if that was just for the Hawks or league wide. It would be nice to lose the priest collar look.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wasn't sure to put this. On the latest puck soup, Wysch is interviewing Paul Lukas, who writes the "uni watch" column on ESPN. So, he writes and reports on uniforms in sports. He said, that his guy in Chicago, said the Hawks weren't reordering the red jersey's because their is a change coming to the collar next year. He wasn't sure if that was just for the Hawks or league wide. It would be nice to lose the priest collar look.

Just got to the end of the podcast. Lozo is done with Puck Soup. Damn.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Austin, from what I can tell, has one huge pro and one major con.

Pro: Hockey would be the only sport that wouldn't face fan competition with the Longhorns. That's a potential one-niche market that doesn't have an alternative collegiate option as competition there. Hoping to be a warmer Columbus without a varsity hockey team.

Con: Austin is the mother of all transplant cities, so while there are a load of northerners that live there now, I'm not sure that there's a big local fanbase wanting to root for a team.

Is Austin any more a transplant location than Tampa, Vegas, Phoenix, etc? Honest question, not being snarky.

Phoenix may not be the best example currently but they drew very well for a long time and I know from having lived there there's a strong fan base there it's just become very complicated and that could be an entire thread of its own. Them being a transplant city is not the reason for their woes, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad