Around the League XXXVI: Fire all the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
it is not a mutual termination, that seems to be the problem. if his contract was just terminated, why would he be on waivers right now? he is on unconditional waivers, if his contract was just terminated and anyone could sign him, wouldn't he not be on waivers period? they discussed this on NHL Network, so not sure where else to find the info.

can you show me where a player had his contract terminated in season and signed elsewhere immediately after? I don't recall seeing that ever...
Jake Dotchin was put on unconditional waivers by TB this year and later signed with Anaheim.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So it's exactly how I thought it was. Contract terminated, as if it didn't exist. Free to sign a new contract with any NHL team, even this year. :thumbu:

I'd give him a couple mil to see if he can turn it around as a Hawk.

We already have enough crap on team

No need to add a guy who has been mediocre bottom 6 talent in recent years and has fallen off completely this year

Also he wasn't happy under Housley on 4th line how do you think he will feel playing for JC on 4th line?

Also he should get nothing but league minimum 1 yr deal from next team that takes look at him

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So it's exactly how I thought it was. Contract terminated, as if it didn't exist. Free to sign a new contract with any NHL team, even this year. :thumbu:

I'd give him a couple mil to see if he can turn it around as a Hawk.
it makes absolutely zero sense why he would even go to waivers...if a team could offer him peanuts who the hell is going to sign him at his existing contract and claim that?? just so freaking odd...Dreger and Weekes said the very same thing on NHL Network - if no team claimed him he couldn't play this year -

I will stand corrected as I was wrong - didn't think this was possible as it starts a very slippery slope here with terminating guaranteed contracts...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think as long as Berglund played in the NHL this year before Dec 1st, he can still play.
It would make sense if he never reported and hadn't played a game in the NHL yet, that he wouldn't be allowed to play.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think as long as Berglund played in the NHL this year before Dec 1st, he can still play.
It would make sense if he never reported and hadn't played a game in the NHL yet, that he wouldn't be allowed to play.
yeah I don't know anymore, Brian Gionta signed after the Olympics to play in the NHL as he had no contracts in place elsewhere but was allowed to play after Feb in the NHL...we will see who signs him/if anyone does...he might just go play in Sweden.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That is nonsense

They had agreement and it expired. You cant demand a team continue to follow a NTC when it expires and if that is what Berglund demanded that says more then enough about how Berglund acts and why Sabres have done what they have done

Also if anyone should have grievance in situation its Blues and Sabres who paid generously for his pathetic and subpar play thru years
Berglund still had a partial NTC at the time of the trade.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
it makes absolutely zero sense why he would even go to waivers...if a team could offer him peanuts who the hell is going to sign him at his existing contract and claim that?? just so freaking odd...Dreger and Weekes said the very same thing on NHL Network - if no team claimed him he couldn't play this year -

I will stand corrected as I was wrong - didn't think this was possible as it starts a very slippery slope here with terminating guaranteed contracts...
I’m almost certain there’s an established pattern that’s well documented. Team would be in big trouble if they hadn’t dotted all the i’s and crossed all the t’s.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm doing it for both yesterday. I'd strongly consider for Jones, straight up. I'd have to chew it and really dig in.

I’d decline just because of our defensive prospects and getting Hughes on hours ELC for a few years.

Although Jones for 4 more years at 5.4M is a bargain.

It’s a tough decision but having Hughes that cheap for a few seasons is the deal breaker for me.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Even if you finish dead-last in the league you're still not guaranteed Hughes, and while he is likely going to be very good, there's a chance he's not. You're getting an already-known, Norris-caliber defenseman (at a bargain) and a very, very good defenseman who is still young and getting even better, instantly bolstering the biggest need the team has. Even if you remove Werenski and go Jones straight-up, that's really difficult for me to not think long and hard about. The defensive prospects are assets. You can never have too many good defensemen on your team/in your system.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Even if you finish dead-last in the league you're still not guaranteed Hughes, and while he is likely going to be very good, there's a chance he's not. You're getting an already-known, Norris-caliber defenseman (at a bargain) and a very, very good defenseman who is still young and getting even better, instantly bolstering the biggest need the team has. Even if you remove Werenski and go Jones straight-up, that's really difficult for me to not think long and hard about. The defensive prospects are assets. You can never have too many good defensemen on your team/in your system.
JD said that we had the #1 pick, so that was already established in this potential offer...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You hope your first overall pick turns into a franchise defenseman. Jones is that. Werenski is just gravy. This team would instantly be back on track to be great.

For both it’s a no brainer but I don’t think Columbus would even consider that.

Hughes for Jones straight up and I probably go with Hughes. Having him cost controlled + our defensive prospects cost controlled for a few seasons could open up another window for a Hossa type of signing to go on a 4-5 year Cup run even at the expense of not being able to resign all of your home grown talent.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Hughes for Jones straight up and I probably go with Hughes. Having him cost controlled + our defensive prospects cost controlled for a few seasons could open up another window for a Hossa type of signing to go on a 4-5 year Cup run even at the expense of not being able to resign all of your home grown talent.
Columbus wouldn’t, but that’s not the question. I’d swap Hughes for Jones but I certainly can see why others wouldn’t.

Jones+Werenski is a package that lands McDavid if he wanted out of Edmonton for whatever reason.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Jones is a potential Norris trophy candidate...he has so much upside here..I think I am with you though as Hughes at an ELC vs Jones and what we have coming on defense would make me stand put..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No, he didnt. He missed the deadline to file the teams he would not go to.
From Freidmans 31 thoughts:

The forward was traded from St. Louis to Buffalo in the Ryan O’Reilly deal on July 1. The date is significant. Berglund had a full no-trade clause that ended the day before, June 30. He had the right to submit a partial no-trade beginning on Canada Day. For whatever reason, it was late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad