Around the League XXXVI: Fire all the coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Pretty obvious that the initial hit was fine. The finish with slamming him to the ice was what concussed him, and was not ok. Correct call to suspend him a couple, IMO.
After seeing from a different angle the side of Petersson's head did appear to hit the ice. Did it deserve a 2-game suspension? Very debatable. This type of board play occurs all the time in the NHL.
Matheson is not even that big (listed at 193 lbs) but Petersson is obviously a featherweight and he is viewed as a budding star, hence the league feels obliged to protect him.... whether right or wrong.
In my mind this was excessive hence warranted a 2 minute roughing call and that ends it.
In the debate on Sportsnet they showed exactly the same type of play in a recent game only Brooks Orpik (not a star) was the guy who hit the ice. No one even blinked. Not even a penalty was called. Just saying. I'm done here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
After seeing from a different angle the side of Petersson's head did appear to hit the ice. Did it deserve a 2-game suspension? Very debatable. This type of board play occurs all the time in the NHL.
Matheson is not even that big (listed at 193 lbs) but Petersson is obviously a featherweight and he is viewed as a budding star, hence the league feels obliged to protect him.... whether right or wrong.
In my mind this was excessive hence warranted a 2 minute roughing call and that ends it.
In the debate on Sportsnet they showed exactly the same type of play in a recent game only Brooks Orpik (not a star) was the guy who hit the ice. No one even blinked. Not even a penalty was called. Just saying. I'm done here.
Raffi Torres didn't get a penalty on his disgusting hit on Hossa...just saying, penalties really don't matter if the refs miss it or didn't see it fully.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

AD mentioned it, but refs sometimes miss calls... they're looking up ice, or following the play, and they just catch something out of the corner of their eye or whatever. If they didn't get a good look, it's hard for them to call a penalty on something.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
So.... are the Hawks contenders or pretenders? I haven't been watching much, but like what I am seeing so far especially Towes back into the picture so I am definitely tuning in.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So.... are the Hawks contenders or pretenders? I haven't been watching much, but like what I am seeing so far especially Towes back into the picture so I am definitely tuning in.

Hard to say until we see what type of Crawford we get back. If we get close to the Vezina version back and Murphy can play a solid 3/4 then I think this team can score enough to make the playoffs as a wildcard. From there anything can kind of happen.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Hard to say until we see what type of Crawford we get back. If we get close to the Vezina version back and Murphy can play a solid 3/4 then I think this team can score enough to make the playoffs as a wildcard. From there anything can kind of happen.

Thanks. Or if some of the kids step it up big I presume.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
1st time offender.

I know.

Like I said, I'd like them to change the CBA so that they don't need repeat offender status to start handing down the long, meaningful suspensions. You force these guys to lose some real money, suddenly it's not so hard to adjust.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Jets defense is just as bad as ours is. Might be worse once Murphy and Forsling get healthy. The central is up for grabs for sure.

In other news, the one line team of Dallas was shut out. They are not off to a good start.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not sure yet. Offense looks really good but defense/goaltending is bad. Crow coming back and being his usual self could go a long way, but the defense has to get a lot better regardless. Maybe Forsling and Murphy will help that as well. Toews looks for real though.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
We are currently in the golden era of hockey. Just wow this talent around the league.

And yes, I'm one day older than Panarin, this little guy from Finland who havent been able to watch NHL regularly before 2007.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Maybe he meant as far as injuries, though that still doesn't make sense considering McDavid got injured his rookie year and is still just getting started (hes played 82 games in back to back years after that however).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The only real "argument" against Crosby was that he didn't win enough championships prior to three years ago, which is a ridiculous thing to say in a sport so reliant on the entire team, system, the goalie not sucking, and overall luck, but the back to back championships erased even that, too.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad