Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I was just busting balls but it would not shock me.

"Mathews gets 3 shots on goal ...scores 2 ...but 1 of the 2 against only 3 oops. ..Tavares gets 5 shots on goal but only scores 1 in the real game ..he played better than Mathews."

GTFO Fiddy

Reactions: clydesdale line

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Why are Americans so hung up on where a hockey player or fan was born?

Are we? I mean, yay team America, but most of us don't care if a star player is an American, Canadian, European, or Russian aside from it being cool when a Chicagoland dude makes the club. Meanwhile, north of the border, you have analysts complaining back when Toronto didn't have any Ontario-born talent, Montreal obviously favoring Quebecois players, and a seemingly obvious agenda against Russian players and softie Euros from Canadian analysts and especially from the national treasure that is the pretty blatantly Canadian exceptionalist Don Cherry. If someone's a Canadian boy, they get away with almost anything. I'm positive if you completely flipped Ovechkin's nationality with Toews and changed nothing else, Alex would be the second coming to a lot of folks while Toews would be a lazy Russian to those same folks that can't stop from fawning over him.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Why are Americans so hung up on where a hockey player or fan was born?

Are we? I mean, yay team America, but most of us don't care if a star player is an American, Canadian, European, or Russian aside from it being cool when a Chicagoland dude makes the club. Meanwhile, north of the border, you have analysts complaining back when Toronto didn't have any Ontario-born talent, Montreal obviously favoring Quebecois players, and a seemingly obvious agenda against Russian players and softie Euros from Canadian analysts and especially from the national treasure that is the pretty blatantly Canadian exceptionalist Don Cherry. If someone's a Canadian boy, they get away with almost anything. I'm positive if you completely flipped Ovechkin's nationality with Toews and changed nothing else, Alex would be the second coming to a lot of folks while Toews would be a lazy Russian to those same folks that can't stop from fawning over him.

This explains it pretty well.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
wild start to this caps - pens game.

Crosby just missed making it 2-0 on a nifty save from Holtby. About a minute later it’s 2-1 caps

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree with much of this. Hockey is a World game, everywhere you look or listen to, announcers and pundits always talk about where players are from, it is just natural at this point. Don Cherry is obnoxious with this, usually ripping on "soft" Russians and pimping all those Western Canada boys!!

As being an obvious US homer, was raised on USA Hockey as a kid, I find it funny that many of my fav Hawks players were not US players.

Savard, Secord, and Larmer all my favs as a kid in the 80's...all obviously from Michigan lol...

Then, Eddie the Eagle Belfour was arguably my favorite Hawk right with Roenick...and again, Belfour from upper North Dakota!

Then was Krivokrasov, Daze, and Joe Murphy that were absolute favs of mine.

Chris Chelios was always in my top 3 year after year, but he was a warrior and not because he was a Chicago boy.

My favorite player of all-time was Pat Lafontaine, if not for playing when head hunting was allowed, he would have numbers similar to Yzerman if he wasnt forced to retire, he was that damn good and arguably the most skilled American player all-time (he and Kane).

Good post, found it odd that was even thrown our way lol

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, I'm not really sure how a Canadian can claim that Americans are obsessed with where a player is from. That's very typical of a Canadian fan more than any other nationality.

Canadians typically hated Russians, because of the rivalries back in the day. Americans weren't even on the radar at that time. Now it is more so the Americans that the Canadians don't like because of the more recent rivalries with them after they became a good hockey country.

I could care less about where a player is from nowadays, but obviously if you are playing vs Canada I like you a little less. There are Canadian players I don't like *cough* Subban *cough* there are Russians I don't like, and there are Fins I don't like. Has less to do with what country you are from nowadays than it used to be.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Don Cherry is a clown, but he's Canada's clown. Canada's relationship with Don Cherry is a lot like the Hawk's relationship with White Sox fans. He might be a clown, but he's OUR clown.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Odd question: I am looking for a place to purchase anFlames alternate jersey. But they must be able to customize the back as I do not want a current player on the jersey. Any ideas?

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
That is what I am wondering. I might call the Calgary Shop itself and see if they can do it for me. Nobody does the custom stuff it seems or has the alternate jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad