Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
reading the fans responses to Tavares "thank you" letter is eye opening. the more and more you read into what Tavares did, my lord does he look evil here...Dr Evil level lol!!

this guy put on a dog and pony show so 5-6 teams could court him, knowing all along he was always going to Toronto - his agent didn't even get back in contact with a number of the teams after their meetings lol!

he spoke about Toronto like 5 times in his thank you letter to Islanders fans, and called it his dream to play for his home team, but he had to hold the Islanders hostage at the deadline and then proceeded bringing in a shit show of teams when it was his dream all along to play for the Leafs??

I used to like Tavares as he has played in Long Island long enough, and seen enough shit that he stayed through - BUT, for the love of God, if you loved the fans and organization at least give them a chance to get something for you at the deadline - he could have requested to be dealt to the Leafs only at the deadline and they could have gotten something back - a few picks and a prospect or two just so the Leafs could take a run at the cup this past year...

I have no problem with Tavares wanting out, not a single one - but how he did it is insulting to that fanbase and their organization - I lost respect like many did for him with how he handled this situation. Isles fans deserved better than this.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The extention for Elias Lindholm by Calgary of 6 yrs @$4.85 million per yr cap hit is either the most brilliant bargain of the last 10 years by any GM or is at minimum "fairbalue" for 44-45 points guy given the $1 million for every 10 points rule of thumb suggested by the GM's Guidebook used by it seems almost every GM for years now since the cap Era began. .

BUT ...here is the thing. ..Aroliba used him as azC...CGY will move him to their top line at RW ..so he will pileup points with Gaudreau and Monica. .So Expect him to bulge to 70+ poi ts..Thus he should be worth $7:million + per year if this scenario plays out as expected.

So this brings us to Schmaltz and what the Hawks will extend him for..
Per the GM's rule of thumb, he should be valued already as around $5.5 million per ..but as we know Stan will overpay thinking he will elevate to that 70+ level of production playing 2C full time with Kane ..so he will probably get a longer deal of say $6.5 million per force years extention with of course the fill NMC thrown in.

BUT ....it is probably a lot less certain he can elevate. ..even with Kane ...be a use of 4 things..1.He is playing C...the duties required at C are more onerous than at wing..So this could take away from his production if as we know Q wants him to get better in the defensive aspects especially in his own zone ..2. He stinks at face- offs ...so chasing the puck after losing it keeps him out of the o-zone longer...3 He only has Jane to help him ..not 2 quality NHL stars like Mohan and Gaudreau to help boost his production n..At this point we do not know if D-Cat is going to get used on the Kane line or not. IF not it means Saad would be and he at best had only Bern a low 50ns producer...last season dropped to 35 points. And hardly a great set-up guy anyway. . 4. Finally. ..will Schmaltz ever get #1 pp unit duty ?You u do not want him to loose draws of the get go and risk chasing the puck down back to our own end ..killing precious o-zone time on the pp ...And how can Q risk Toes stewing if he is benched to favor Schmaltz on the pp?So Toes and hi s "#1C# and that huge $10.5 will trump any consideration to give Schmaltz such featured op time..so no way will Schmaltz pad his stats from the boss that pp tome gives.

Thus there is a risk Schmaltz might never elevate being mid 5z0s 2C level production..In that case we should only extend to no more than $5.5 cap hit level...No NMC..and only 6 years max ...notv8 .We actually should then trade him I'd something better cones along ..like a master of face offs who can pot more goals and bump Toes off the op ..such that that guy would be a real 1C and then Toews reduced in his role to 2C ..

But as we know Stan will over pay...over extend and albatross it with NMC ticket to Country Club to boot!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The extention for Elias Lindholm by Calgary of 6 yrs @$4.85 million per yr cap hit is either the most brilliant bargain of the last 10 years by any GM or is at minimum "fairbalue" for 44-45 points guy given the $1 million for every 10 points rule of thumb suggested by the GM's Guidebook used by it seems almost every GM for years now since the cap Era began. .

BUT ...here is the thing. ..Aroliba used him as azC...CGY will move him to their top line at RW ..so he will pileup points with Gaudreau and Monica. .So Expect him to bulge to 70+ poi ts..Thus he should be worth $7:million + per year if this scenario plays out as expected.

So this brings us to Schmaltz and what the Hawks will extend him for..
Per the GM's rule of thumb, he should be valued already as around $5.5 million per ..but as we know Stan will overpay thinking he will elevate to that 70+ level of production playing 2C full time with Kane ..so he will probably get a longer deal of say $6.5 million per force years extention with of course the fill NMC thrown in.

BUT ....it is probably a lot less certain he can elevate. ..even with Kane ...be a use of 4 things..1.He is playing C...the duties required at C are more onerous than at wing..So this could take away from his production if as we know Q wants him to get better in the defensive aspects especially in his own zone ..2. He stinks at face- offs ...so chasing the puck after losing it keeps him out of the o-zone longer...3 He only has Jane to help him ..not 2 quality NHL stars like Mohan and Gaudreau to help boost his production n..At this point we do not know if D-Cat is going to get used on the Kane line or not. IF not it means Saad would be and he at best had only Bern a low 50ns producer...last season dropped to 35 points. And hardly a great set-up guy anyway. . 4. Finally. ..will Schmaltz ever get #1 pp unit duty ?You u do not want him to loose draws of the get go and risk chasing the puck down back to our own end ..killing precious o-zone time on the pp ...And how can Q risk Toes stewing if he is benched to favor Schmaltz on the pp?So Toes and hi s "#1C# and that huge $10.5 will trump any consideration to give Schmaltz such featured op time..so no way will Schmaltz pad his stats from the boss that pp tome gives.

Thus there is a risk Schmaltz might never elevate being mid 5z0s 2C level production..In that case we should only extend to no more than $5.5 cap hit level...No NMC..and only 6 years max ...notv8 .We actually should then trade him I'd something better cones along ..like a master of face offs who can pot more goals and bump Toes off the op ..such that that guy would be a real 1C and then Toews reduced in his role to 2C ..

But as we know Stan will over pay...over extend and albatross it with NMC ticket to Country Club to boot!

Lindholm has been a bit of a disappointment for Carolina - he was a reach where they drafted him at. I do not see what you see with his contract as it is a fair deal, nothing great or bad...6 years at almost $5mil per year for a guy who hasn't hit 50 points or 20 goals seems pretty meh to me...

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Who is Monica?

X4H2.gif

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Seems pretty dumb to me that you can't play College hockey if you played Major Jr. Or you will be suspended for a year+. Should be able to switch just like you can from College to Jr.

NCAA does a lot of dumb things. I semi understand this rule, however. And with the entire hockey system as currently constituted the NCAA changing this would turn hockey in the US on its head at the developmental levels and completely change the NCAA and CIS landscapes. We may see it someday but won’t be anytime soon.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
NCAA does a lot of dumb things. I semi understand this rule, however. And with the entire hockey system as currently constituted the NCAA changing this would turn hockey in the US on its head at the developmental levels and completely change the NCAA and CIS landscapes. We may see it someday but won’t be anytime soon.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm genuinely curious

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
The effect the NCAA's changes would have on developmental hockey

It would have a major affect on US players, mostly. If the NCAA allowed CHL players you'd have a major influx of Canadian players opting for the NCAA over the Canadian University options they currently choose from. It then would affect the quality of the Canadian University programs in losing so much of their talent to the NCAA. The USHL would probably lose a fair amount of talent as well as players would opt for the CHL knowing they could "fall back" to NCAA. It would kind of just turn the entire system upside down, really.

Bigger picture, it would possibly have implications for other sports. If you're allowing players who have been getting paid (CHL stipend) and/or more importantly who have signed pro contracts, played pro games, and been paid pro money (see: players who get their exhibition games, 10-game tryouts, etc, and go back to junior) now playing against other NCAA "amateurs", other sports are going to look at that and want similar rules. There's already a lot of push back in football as far as the debate of paying players and such, it would just open up a huge can of worms.

The NCAA will never, ever open up the doors to CHL players willingly, but at some point I could see someone trying to take them to court over it. I'm not sure what that would look like or what case would be made, but I wouldn't bet against somebody trying at some point.

EDIT: Another wrinkle is the CHL having been sued recently to have to pay players minimum wage, which would be significantly more than what current stipends are. If these players have to be deeded official employees, they are completely being compensated even more so, which only further emboldens the NCAA's "well they're professionals" stance.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If he finds anybody that thinks the Yotes are worth $500 million, he's going to sell the team to them on the spot.

But that's what outrageous overpays and ridiculous expansion fees does to franchise valuation. Almost have to wonder if the old Thrashers owners are kicking themselves a bit for how "little" they sold the team to Winnipeg. Had they held on for five years, the team could've easily sold for probably triple what they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino