Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Honestly, it makes you wonder if the Leafs could be even FURTHER ahead than they already are if they hadn't impeded Dubas with Hunter and Lou.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We just now need to see a situation where the Leafs easily get a playoff spot, the Isles surprise everybody and barely squeak in, and New York then proceeds to bounce the Leafs in the first round in a major upset. Especially as this is going to be their last year before cap hell mode, that'd be the ultimate kick in the teeth.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Dubas hasn't really done anything yet to crown him anything. To give him credit for Tavares is silly, and trading an obvious cap dump are not moves I will praise him for.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ducks retiring Kariya and Niedermeyer #'s

Kariya is no brainer and this should finally put an end to the Kariya saga (Fans still upset about how he left need to just give it up)

Niedermeyer having his number retired is akin to Hawks retiring Mags. It shouldn't be up there but organization wants it because of his role not only on ice but of ice (He is coach now and probably will be in front office or HC gig eventually for organization)

Also Giguere is far more worthy of honor then Nieds and I am surprised Hebert is not up there

Hebert was the heart and soul of franchise alongside Kariya in its early years and is far more deserving then Neids

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Ducks retiring Kariya and Niedermeyer #'s

Kariya is no brainer and this should finally put an end to the Kariya saga (Fans still upset about how he left need to just give it up)

Niedermeyer having his number retired is akin to Hawks retiring Mags. It shouldn't be up there but organization wants it because of his role not only on ice but of ice (He is coach now and probably will be in front office or HC gig eventually for organization)

Also Giguere is far more worthy of honor then Nieds and I am surprised Hebert is not up there

Hebert was the heart and soul of franchise alongside Kariya in its early years and is far more deserving then Neids

You're saying cause Neidermayer didn't play for the Ducks long enough?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Pretty much

Most of his career was with Devils and despite MVP role in Ducks cup win his last few years with Ducks saw him regressing

Overall his career with Ducks was not as impressive as one would believe and his reputation/praise in later years with Ducks was built off more the player he was not the player he became

Its very comparable to what we have seen with Chara in which media talks him up as if he was Chara of 6-7 years ago when his game is clearly regressed

Still solid player but far from what they once were in prime. That was Nieds in Anaheim especially last two years when he should have saw reduced role and his effectiveness was starting to decline

But he was still being praised by media and I believe was allstar his final years but it was mainly for his reputation not his actual quality of play those final years

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
We just now need to see a situation where the Leafs easily get a playoff spot, the Isles surprise everybody and barely squeak in, and New York then proceeds to bounce the Leafs in the first round in a major upset. Especially as this is going to be their last year before cap hell mode, that'd be the ultimate kick in the teeth.
As a complete rat-bastage...I want to see this happen.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Kucherov getting 8x9.5... must be nice to negotiate massive contracts before guys have won anything so they take discounts.
Or maybe it’s just that Yzerman, being a HOFer and excellent GM, correctly assesses player value, has the cred with players regarding said value, and gets them to accept it, for the benefit of the team. Wonder if he included a NTC or NMC?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Florida Tax situation helps

One of the advantages TB has over big markets like NYC

Good on TB and Kucherov for getting this done. Will love watching him in TB for years to come

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Or maybe it’s just that Yzerman, being a HOFer and excellent GM, correctly assesses player value, has the cred with players regarding said value, and gets them to accept it, for the benefit of the team. Wonder if he included a NTC or NMC?

Seems like a good time to bring up Ryan Callahan, who does have a NMC, btw.

I don't know why it is, but the adoration of Yzerman as the best GM bothers me. Don't get me wrong, he's good, probably top 5-10 range, but too many people act like he's never done anything wrong or that he's actually won anything.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think the good far outweight the bad with Yzerman and TB have been on cusp of championship under his watch and appear primed for contending for years

His trades have for most part been magnificent (The big one's) and moves like going with Vasilevskiy and moving on from Bishop were not universally accepted at time but proved right

There were many people who thought Bishop should have been extended and Vas used as trade bait. He made right choice for TB now and in future

To be fair with regard to Callahan

No one expected such a drop in productivity at age 29 from him

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
SY is a really good GM.

What would the equivalent salary in Chicago be to the 9.5 AAV in Tampa?

Looks like about .500-.750 million. EDIT: Actually it would be more with local taxes and what not.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
13M + Full NMC

I still cant believe how Yzerman swindled Berg with Drouin trade

Especially since Drouin's very public issues with TB management should have effected his value some

Also LOL at Habs who plan to continue the idiotic Drouin as #1C experiment

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yzerman is a fantastic GM. He's done almost everything very well...except win a Cup. It's hard to do though. Still can't believe Tampa lost last year. They had the makeup of a Cup winner. 1C, elite & dynamic winger, 1D, excellent forward depth, solid goaltending. They dominated for most of the season too.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Winning a cup is hard. History is littered with NHL teams that were great for long stretches but only had one or zero cups to show for it.

All a GM can do is put his team in the best possible position to win for as long as he can. Yzerman has certainly been doing that. Even if he comes out on the otherside of this window without a cup, he'll still have done his job well. The rest is player execution, coaching, and a lot of luck.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's more good than bad for sure. I just think to be considered the best, you have to have won. I realize, there's only so much a GM can control, but it is what it is. Results matter.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Seems like a good time to bring up Ryan Callahan, who does have a NMC, btw.

I don't know why it is, but the adoration of Yzerman as the best GM bothers me. Don't get me wrong, he's good, probably top 5-10 range, but too many people act like he's never done anything wrong or that he's actually won anything.

Hawks can only wish to have a guy like SY at the helm.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Winning a cup is hard. History is littered with NHL teams that were great for long stretches but only had one or zero cups to show for it.

All a GM can do is put his team in the best possible position to win for as long as he can. Yzerman has certainly been doing that. Even if he comes out on the otherside of this window without a cup, he'll still have done his job well. The rest is player execution, coaching, and a lot of luck.
I fear that Tampa Bay might not ever put together because if there was ever a year to win the east it was this year and they fell flat in the conference finals.

They’ve had a advantage with cap and a income tax free state. They get 4-5 million in extra “money” to spend every year compared to teams in Chicago, Toronto and New York. Yzerman has done well to utilize that advantage.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Stamkos continues to be absolute disappointment when it matters most

If they don't win anything in this era it should fall on Stamkos shoulders given his salary and horrific production in important playoff games

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I fear that Tampa Bay might not ever put together because if there was ever a year to win the east it was this year and they fell flat in the conference finals.

They’ve had a advantage with cap and a income tax free state. They get 4-5 million in extra “money” to spend every year compared to teams in Chicago, Toronto and New York. Yzerman has done well to utilize that advantage.

They still have some time IMO. I think they have at least 2-3 years left in their window.

Plus, since 2015, they've only lost in the playoffs to the champions (Blackhawks, Penguins, N/A, Capitals). They missed in 2017 by 1 point thanks to injuries. It's not like they've been losing to bums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad