Around the League XXXV: Illinois Represent

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Weber I agree. I'm sure Price will be fine. He is a goalie a great team can win with, like a Holtby, Crawford.

I just hope Weber retires in the next few years and hits NSH with a huge penalty.

I don't see how that happens, although this league is so dumb, I wouldn't put it past them.

Reactions: BrianE

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The league has already given way too many precedents for teams getting out of those kinds of penalties. He'll have an LTIRetirement situation almost assuredly.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't see how that happens, although this league is so dumb, I wouldn't put it past them.
MTL has no reason to put him on LTIR if he wants to retire, unlike the Hawks with Hossa. I'm sure the players will just continue to collect their paycheques though.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
MTL has no reason to put him on LTIR if he wants to retire, unlike the Hawks with Hossa. I'm sure the players will just continue to collect their paycheques though.

I mean, I don't think the league would actually go through with the penalty or they would be dumb to. Hey look, Nashville is a great hockey market and a perennial contender. But let's punish them with a huge cap penalty (wasn't it something crazy like 20 mil potentially) because they matched a contract from another team that was completely legal at the time they signed it. But I know better than to underestimate the stupidity of the league.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I mean, I don't think the league would actually go throw with the penalty or they would be dumb too. Hey look, Nashville is a great hockey market and a perennial contender. But let's punish them with a huge cap penalty (wasn't it something crazy like 20 mil potentially) because they matched a contract from another team that was completely legal at the time they signed it. But I know better than to underestimate the stupidity of the league.

Weber for Subban could hurt Preds in long run

I agree that the NHL doesn’t wanna punish teams for this but they’ve always had the LTIR fallback and been able to have a reason to look the other way. The Preds will not have that because the Habs have no reason to try and push him into LTIR. All that would mean is the Habs have to foot the bill of his contract instead of him retiring and the Habs being completely off the hook. That’s why this situation is a bit different than any one the nhl has encountered yet. There’s zero incentive for the Habs to put him on LTIR, so I’m sure if it came to it they’d try and fight it because all they’re getting stuck with is a bill.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Weber for Subban could hurt Preds in long run

I agree that the NHL doesn’t wanna punish teams for this but they’ve always had the LTIR fallback and been able to have a reason to look the other way. The Preds will not have that because the Habs have no reason to try and push him into LTIR. All that would mean is the Habs have to foot the bill of his contract instead of him retiring and the Habs being completely off the hook. That’s why this situation is a bit different than any one the nhl has encountered yet. There’s zero incentive for the Habs to put him on LTIR, so I’m sure if it came to it they’d try and fight it because all they’re getting stuck with is a bill.

I get what your saying, the way the rules are set up, but I just think if push comes to shove, they aren't going to stick the Preds with a 24 mil cap bill and force them to gut their team.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I get what your saying, the way the rules are set up, but I just think if push comes to shove, they aren't going to stick the Preds with a 24 mil cap bill and force them to gut their team.
I think it’s most likely to happen when his salary drops to 1 mil a year at 38 years old and the penalty would be 8 mil a year I believe. I wonder what options Nashville is going to have as far as acquiring his contract to LTIR or buyout. I’m really interested myself to see how this plays out but we’re quite a few years away from that.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think it’s most likely to happen when his salary drops to 1 mil a year at 38 years old and the penalty would be 8 mil a year I believe. I wonder what options Nashville is going to have as far as acquiring his contract to LTIR or buyout. I’m really interested myself to see how this plays out but we’re quite a few years away from that.

If the league was smart (and they aren't) they'd change that. The idea that they allowed these contracts to be signed under one set of rules only to change the rules after the fact, is one of the dumbest things in sports.

If everything stays as it is, I wonder if the Preds don't trade for his contract back right before he's done to insure he's on LTIR.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
If the league was smart (and they aren't) they'd change that. The idea that they allowed these contracts to be signed under one set of rules only to change the rules after the fact, is one of the dumbest things in sports.

If everything stays as it is, I wonder if the Preds don't trade for his contract back right before he's done to insure he's on LTIR.
I’ve always thought having any kind of punishment for these long term contracts is ridiclous. Especially if you’re gonna turn your back and look the other way to avoid punishing teams, why even add the rule to punish teams for that? Just grandfather the rule in and say no more contracts with that term are allowed anymore.

It’s maddening how poorly the nhl has handled all this.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
No chance the Preds are hit with an absurdly harsh recapture for a contract they didn't even sign. NHL is just making this up as they go along, which is how recapture exists in the first place, so they're not going to bury Nashville on this one. The league already let New Jersey off the hook for most of their penalty and their violate was way more flagrant than anything the Preds did.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
We’re not holding out for more money, because if I called Jarmo right now, he’d probably drive up to my house and we’d put a deal together. (Panarin’s) biggest thing is … he loves the team, he loves the coach. It’s not the team or the way they treat him. It’s about, does he want to spend the next eight years in Columbus? That’s the only thing at stake right now. If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it. But it isn’t a two-year deal. It’s gonna have to be an extended, seven- or eight-year deal put in place.

Does Artemi Panarin want to spend the next 8 years in...

Ok yeah, the Blue Jackets need to trade Panarin and try to get something for him. I thought maybe he was refusing to sign cause he was betting on himself to break the bank, but if his agent is saying this to media, he's probably gonezo.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Panarin had a taste of big city life, and Columbus just doesn’t measure up.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Reactions: migi

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Panarin had a taste of big city life, and Columbus just doesn’t measure up.

Bingo. Hence the LA/NY/CHI rumors. Hell, I wouldn't doubt if Vegas is thrown in there in the offseason.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There's no way CLB will get a player as good as Saad when they probably trade him. They may get a 1st +, but no guarantee they turn into a Saad. In the end it will turn out to be an alright move by Bowman. Could argue he should have kept him, or traded for something better, but CLB will get the worst of the trade in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad