Around the League Thread | Summer Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Saw the rumour of Myers and Lebanc swap
Both are UFA next season, Lebanc is a 3rd line winger that's below average defensively
And he somehow makes close to 5m this season in cap hit

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Both are UFA next season, Lebanc is a 3rd line winger that's below average defensively
I would do it if we can drop a winger like Boeser too. Myers absolutely can NOT be on the opening night roster if we’re a serious organization.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was that guy who had what most thought was a breakout season a few years ago in 18/19 with 56 points, then just signed a 1 year deal for $1 mill. Had a bad season that year, with just 33 points in 70 games, but rather than pay him for what he was, SJ actually went ahead and gave him a nice deal (basically what most expected him to have gotten, if you averaged this deal he is on now, with that $1 million deal for 1 year), $18.9 mill over 4 plus $1 mill is $19.9 thus really a $4 mill AAV over 5 years.

Kind of that nudge nudge handshake type agreement to help SJ's cap, but in the end SJ, really should have put the screws to him and it's a lesson that all agents try to tell their clients (see Gravikov) should heed and get paid when they can. Never know what will happen.

No shit. Yeah he's done a couple weird signings in the past 2 years but somebody throw up their depth chart next five years and salary cap with projections. They are fine
That's assuming they don't follow what LA did in a year or two and move picks/prospects/young players to get established players due to hit UFA in a year like a Fiala/PLD type. And LA is a much more desired UFA destination than Detroit is.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He was that guy who had what most thought was a breakout season a few years ago in 18/19 with 56 points, then just signed a 1 year deal for $1 mill. Had a bad season that year, with just 33 points in 70 games, but rather than pay him for what he was, SJ actually went ahead and gave him a nice deal (basically what most expected him to have gotten, if you averaged this deal he is on now, with that $1 million deal for 1 year), $18.9 mill over 4 plus $1 mill is $19.9 thus really a $4 mill AAV over 5 years.

Kind of that nudge nudge handshake type agreement to help SJ's cap, but in the end SJ, really should have put the screws to him and it's a lesson that all agents try to tell their clients (see Gravikov) should heed and get paid when they can. Never know what will happen.

That's assuming they don't follow what LA did in a year or two and move picks/prospects/young players to get established players due to hit UFA in a year like a Fiala/PLD type. And LA is a much more desired UFA destination than Detroit is.
Well we only have the present to judge.. but if they make the playoffs two yrs in a rowand show decently and a good player is available and it works... why not

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hey if those bland cliches work for you great.
Yeah ,its odd..Seems like Yzerman is rebuilding half of his team in Free Agency.

and still does not have enough of the requisite young elite core players to fall back on.

After 7 years out of the playoffs, and sticking to the rebuild plan, they've started to crack...and now this.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
the wings took the wrong approach. their lottery luck has sucked and they haven’t homered on game breaking talent with their picks.

you can either keep farming and wait til you strike gold or rush into mediocrity

they chose to rush.

sam presti would not approve. neither do i.

the hronek trade for them makes zero sense now. why if they were going to sign guys to term and not weaponize space did they trade hronek

Reactions: me2 and Vector

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
the wings took the wrong approach. their lottery luck has sucked and they haven’t homered on game breaking talent with their picks.

you can either keep farming and wait til you strike gold or rush into mediocrity

they chose to rush.

sam presti would not approve. neither do i.

the hronek trade for them makes zero sense now. why if they were going to sign guys to term and not weaponize space did they trade hronek
They sold hard at the deadline and although I thought they should have tanked this year, they ended up with their pick of the centres after the big 4 so the ufa spree didn't hurt them.

I think the Hronek trade is just a case of getting offered a lot more value than the player was worth along with Yzerman being a size queen on defense. After the sea of #6's we've been subjected to the last couple years I'm sure we're going to love Hronek but the gap in perception of how good of a player he is between our board and the Wings board is massive.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They sold hard at the deadline and although I thought they should have tanked this year, they ended up with their pick of the centres after the big 4 so the ufa spree didn't hurt them.

I think the Hronek trade is just a case of getting offered a lot more value than the player was worth along with Yzerman being a size queen on defense. After the sea of #6's we've been subjected to the last couple years I'm sure we're going to love Hronek but the gap in perception of how good of a player he is between our board and the Wings board is massive.
most of the time i subscribe to the “fans say x about a player and they’re usually right” thing within reason

but i don’t know. hronek seemed like a 2-3 guy to me in the games he played. maybe it’s one of those 2010 mason raymond things where the fanbase thought he was one thing but now you go back and watch and he was flying out there.

i do hope that they wait until next summer to extend him rather than now. he won’t be pp1 and they can see if he’s actually a fit as a 2nd pair matchup guy. probably will bring that number down

Reactions: mriswith

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Agreed. And they do have Seider.

I feel Detroit may be falling into the same trap as Winnipeg did. They are taking a patient draft and develop approach which is good but at the same time, Larkin, Copp, and Compher are in their primes. I actually think they should of pursued Eichel.

I suppose if the timeline to compete actually is years away then accumulating all this draft capital and prospects while signing stop gaps make sense.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Drance said something I had not thought of.

Miller extension defenders kept saying this is what he would have got as an UFA.

Now that we've seen what kind of contracts teams are signing players to, I'd say there is zero % chance he gets 7x8 as a FA this summer. Especially with the season he had.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Miller extension defenders kept saying this is what he would have got as an UFA.

Now that we've seen what kind of contracts teams are signing players to, I'd say there is zero % chance he gets 7x8 as a FA this summer. Especially with the season he had.
But how does he play with a contract on the line? It’s not as simple as saying he wouldn’t get paid given the contracts handed out. You are changing the variables with him having the extension going into the season.

Yzerman….he admitted at the end of the year his rebuild didn’t work. I wonder if he’s feeling some pressure.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
But how does he play with a contract on the line? It’s not as simple as saying he wouldn’t get paid given the contracts handed out. You are changing the variables with him having the extension going into the season.

Yzerman….he admitted at the end of the year his rebuild didn’t work. I wonder if he’s feeling some pressure.
Teams AND players are not signing 7 year contracts with how the cap is and is projected to be the year after.

The bad thing about the Miller contract ( for me ) is the final 3-4 years.

Yzerman's run with Detroit is a great example of how much of a team effort managing is. He does not have the pro- & amateur-scouts he had in Tampa. To me the team was still in a healthy spot before this summer. Now they are in an pretty awful pit they dug for them selves.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Teams AND players are not signing 7 year contracts with how the cap is and is projected to be the year after.

The bad thing about the Miller contract ( for me ) is the final 3-4 years.

Yzerman's run with Detroit is a great example of how much of a team effort managing is. He does not have the pro- & amateur-scouts he had in Tampa. To me the team was still in a healthy spot before this summer. Now they are in an pretty awful pit they dug for them selves.

There have been long contracts signed. They may be centered on RFAs but players deemed important moving forward are indeed signing long term deals. A motivated Miller repeating a ~100 point performance would get paid in any market.

The other factor is that this was a very weak free agent class with many players very much hitting the end of careers limiting some term. A part of the reason why the free agent class was weak is because GMs have handed out long term contracts the last year or so with that same uncertainty present.

Reactions: racerjoe

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Agreed. And they do have Seider.

I feel Detroit may be falling into the same trap as Winnipeg did. They are taking a patient draft and develop approach which is good but at the same time, Larkin, Copp, and Compher are in their primes. I actually think they should of pursued Eichel.

I suppose if the timeline to compete actually is years away then accumulating all this draft capital and prospects while signing stop gaps make sense.
He is probably looking at larkin as his stamkos.. the vet that by the time they compete is the vet leader

With a different look if we had traded him like everyone wanted that summer before the re sign - does a team re up him for that?

Since walking him to ufa was the least likely scenario i never liked the poimt of what he would have got in ufa but rather what would the team who traded for him have re signed him for

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There have been long contracts signed. They may be centered on RFAs but players deemed important moving forward are indeed signing long term deals. A motivated Miller repeating a ~100 point performance would get paid in any market.

Him not scoring ~100 isnt just about motivation.

I think most of the contracts with term this summer were mistakes.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Him not scoring ~100 isnt just about motivation.

I think most of the contracts with term this summer were mistakes.

On your first point you can’t say. Nor can I. That’s the point. Take the extension out of the equation and you have a major variable changed. That’s the point.

Second point….sure but that has nothing to do with the point. Substantial term and money has been handed out for the past 12 months with the same uncertainty in cap. The short contracts this summer are a combination of some players betting on themselves (so the next year could be a big contract which in later years means the same thing) and it being a poor free agent crop. Money available plays a roll but not really for the upper end talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad