Around the League Thread | Summer Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I feel like the E Karlsson situation is holding up all the trades and activity. That will be the domino that sets off the trades...

Reactions: Vector and andora

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Lots and lots of 1 year deals,,next year's ufa crop is going to be big.

Which is why I think anybody that gave up term to sign a short term deal is foolish. The cap going up 4m or something will probably be more than equaled out by the over-saturation of the market. Next year’s free agent crop (both UFA and RFA) is looking a lot stronger. Because of this there may be even less money available for them. I think a lot of these guys would of been much better off taking advantage of this weak free agent class and taking guaranteed money for maybe making 0.25m more a year that is far from guaranteed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
why waive zadina now? they don't have a cap problem, the buyout window is closed and waivers resets at training camp. i am missing something.
Waiving him hoping someone claims him. Otherwise, I expect them to buy him out if they have an Arbitration case later this summer.

He's due $4.56 mill over the next 2 seasons. But only $1.52 mill cash due to the under 26 rule which reduces the buyout rate to 1/3. Thus it's an average dead cap of $380K. That's $3 mill in real money saved.

Reactions: andora

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I don’t remember this incident - what happened?

Nice for us to be in the right side of one these “missed him by that much” draft picks. Detroit taking Zadina so we could get Hughes was such a massive windfall.
Im hoping history repeats itself....

Willander wins the Norris in 2027! Nate Danielson signs with the San Diego Gulls.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Boston lost A LOT of depth and haven’t done anything to really rebuild it.

As of now JvR is probably on their 2nd line. A third line of Lucic-Geekie-Frederic is ugly. They replaced Clifton with Shattenkirk, which is a huge downgrade, and Orlov left. There’s no prospect depth past Lysell. Top it off, they have about 6m in space with both Frederic and Swayman needing new contracts.

I’m not confident the Bruins are even guaranteed to be a playoff team.
Well Orlov was a deadline acquisition, so most of their President Cup run was without him, but otherwise yeah. Really seemed like they were greater than the sum of their parts last season and that's going to be tough to repeat with Bergeron and Krejci in question.

Reactions: Vector

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Waiving him hoping someone claims him. Otherwise, I expect them to buy him out if they have an Arbitration case later this summer.

He's due $4.56 mill over the next 2 seasons. But only $1.52 mill cash due to the under 26 rule which reduces the buyout rate to 1/3. Thus it's an average dead cap of $380K. That's $3 mill in real money saved.

detroit has no arbitration eligible rfas. also, not sure why they didn't buy him out last week if that was the game.

normally you just let every gm in the league know a player is available free. at this point it seems like maybe a point is being made to zadina and his agent.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Treliving talks about his new acquisitions;

"At the most important times, the rink shrinks. There is no space. You need courage. We wanted to add players like that.

I think have a ton of them in this room. You have to get to certain areas to be productive at this time of the year. With the players that we have, adding to it the type of DNA that these guys bring drags everybody along with it.

You can’t have players that have a lot of piss and vinegar but can’t play. The guys that we have added all fill a specific role for us."

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Treliving talks about his new acquisitions;

"At the most important times, the rink shrinks. There is no space. You need courage. We wanted to add players like that.

I think have a ton of them in this room. You have to get to certain areas to be productive at this time of the year. With the players that we have, adding to it the type of DNA that these guys bring drags everybody along with it.

You can’t have players that have a lot of piss and vinegar but can’t play. The guys that we have added all fill a specific role for us."
That’s interesting. I thought Bunting, Schenn and Acciari all played with “courage”

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That’s interesting. I thought Bunting, Schenn and Acciari all played with “courage”
I agree, maybe Treliving didnt want to buck up for these players (all were free agents and got substantial $ on the open market)...and they needed to move on, because what they had in the playoffs last season obviously 'didnt work'.

I'm liking what BT is doing..they will likely be one of the most despised teams in the east..the 'bunch of assholes' factor is very high..they'll be more like the Bruins than the Leafs.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I agree, maybe Treliving didnt want to buck up for these players (all were free agents and got substantial $)...and they needed to move on, because what they had in the playoffs last season obviously 'didnt work'.

I'm liking what BT is doing..they will likely be one of the most despised teams in the east..the 'bunch of assholes' factor is very high..they'll be more like the Bruins than the Leafs.
I dont get this angle though? Bertuzzi of 4 yeara ago maybe.. but he doesnt have that edge anymore.. maybe he gets it back

Domi in spurts i guess but isnt exactly intimidating and reaves can barely keep up but still has a deterrance factor

I dont know.. i see a bit more edge but need something like lomberg or kolesar were on the bottom line.. and a forward up top that just never stops no matter what zone (domi) and doesnt try and play above his means (bertuzzi)

Konecny is a guy lots of fans want.. is he it

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I dont get this angle though? Bertuzzi of 4 yeara ago maybe.. but he doesnt have that edge anymore.. maybe he gets it back

Domi in spurts i guess but isnt exactly intimidating and reaves can barely keep up but still has a deterrance factor

I dont know.. i see a bit more edge but need something like lomberg or kolesar were on the bottom line.. and a forward up top that just never stops no matter what zone (domi) and doesnt try and play above his means (bertuzzi)

Konecny is a guy lots of fans want.. is he it
Bertuzzi and Domi are local lads, and I agree with Treliving, that they will get the best versions of these players..That core group needs a spark...the team needs a redo.

Sometimes, there's more to putting a team together than staring at spreadsheets..Intangibles, that the Panthers had, and the Leafs didnt.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
As much as I don't like to, gotta give Treliving a thumbs up for Bertuzzi/Domi. Good value and no term, nice work.
Agreed.. as it came down that they signed and was waiting on terms the only number that made sense was 1 year

Playing the same game we are essentially

Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad