Around the League Thread | Playoffs Approaching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also, As good as Freddy Andersen stats have looked for the Canes this season, I feel like he's going to suck in the playoffs again...

This Avs game is reminiscent of his playoff performances where he just can't make a timely save...basically didn't make a quality stop until they were down three goals.

Reactions: Dab

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
My point is that they have weaknesses. Goaltending is a wild card and they lack C depth. If either Kadri or MacKinnon is out, their 2C is Newhook or Compher. The ability to win in the regular season with key player(s) injured means nothing.

Well every team has weaknesses then, they are still my favorite in the West along with the Blues.

Reactions: geebaan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

As hard as AZ has played for their coach for most of the season, it's waning now. 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 9 goals against over the past 6 games with just 7 goals scored total. So, no empty netters against. outscored 38 to 7. You can't keep up against the constant losing forever in terms of the team's effort.

Reactions: Paradise Circus

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Just noticed the east is already settled. They can rest their players for a long time. Western team will be beat by the SCF.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
TIL that theres not a single player on the Blackhawks that is a plus player. Thats impressive. I dont think theres another team in the league where there isnt a single plus player on the roster.

Reactions: mriswith

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
A nice big logjam at the western wildcard with 5 teams jammed between 28 and 30 pts. Canucks deceptively 6 pts back of the pack... (deceptive as in they look closer than they really are)... 97 points (0.600) is the current playoff bar in the West. That is probably higher than it will end up being. But teams are performing right now - Vegas, Dallas, St.Louis.. all in around 0.600 with Nashville at 0.580.

Playoff bar will likely end up resting around 0.580ish-0.590ish.. ~95pts.

Canucks with 55 games remaining... need to play at 0.663 clip to hit 95 pts. Basically from here on out, they need to win 2/3.
^ my post from Dec 9th.
28-13-8 since... 0.653
Almost there...

Reactions: supercanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Juolevi hasn't played since march 23rd, no injury report, just healthy scratch on a terrible team I'm guessing??

I'd be shocked if he gets qualified
last hurrah in the NHL I guess
What do you think was a worse call, Juolevi in 2016 or being the team that took Hugh Jessiman in the wild 2003 draft?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s between juolevi and Reinhart

Battle of the ages
4th overall and 37 games played 2 points
5th overall and 38 games played 3 points

So similar

Juolevi is a much better player and won't be Reinhart's comparable real soon (maybe Hickey?). Looks like he has played well in Detroit. Take their 11-2 loss against Penguins. 14:44 of ES time and even rating. All other Dmen were -2 or -3.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Crazy that one of those players got a 1st and 2nd round pick in their D+3 season

Its that interesting debate of when to pull the plug on a prospect and trade him

I wish more GM’s would admit a mistake and not double down and let an asset depreciate out of pride.

It’s that notion of “pedigree” and ohh he’s a first rounder.

Reactions: vanuck

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Juolevi is a much better player and won't be Reinhart's comparable real soon (maybe Hickey?). Looks like he has played well in Detroit. Take their 11-2 loss against Penguins. 14:44 of ES time and even rating. All other Dmen were -2 or -3.

He’s been a regular healthy scratch for Detroit now.

Reactions: F A N and Dab

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Aw that's too bad. Stecher was a healthy scratch over there as well. Maybe Yzerman likes former Canucks' Dmen but his head coach doesn't.
Detroit’s left side is what Dekeyser, Staal, Walman, and Osterle? Dekeyser won’t be back. Staal as a veteran 3rd pair or 7th Dman only.
If the wings want to push closer to a PO spot next season they will need to upgrade the top 2 LHD spots.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Detroit’s left side is what Dekeyser, Staal, Walman, and Osterle? Dekeyser won’t be back. Staal as a veteran 3rd pair or 7th Dman only.
If the wings want to push closer to a PO spot next season they will need to upgrade the top 2 LHD spots.
I imagine we will see them take advantage of other teams cap issues and acquire a solid Dman, or two.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I imagine we will see them take advantage of other teams cap issues and acquire a solid Dman, or two.
Lots of pressure on Detroit to make the playoffs next year… not sure it’s going to happen.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Lots of pressure on Detroit to make the playoffs next year… not sure it’s going to happen.
Not sure there's any pressure on them to make it next year, but they shouldn't be in the bottom of the league and getting blown out every other game.

If they make the smart moves I expect Yzerman will they should be in wildcard contention atleast.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure there's any pressure on them to make it next year, but they shouldn't be in the bottom of the league and getting blown out every other game.

If they make the smart moves I expect Yzerman will they should be in wildcard contention atleast.
A tonne of work for the wings to do to get into WC race next season.
They are 28 points behind the 8th spot this season. Currently sit 8th worst having been passed recently by Buffalo in the standings.

That is a massive turnaround to even be within 5/6 points of the final WC spot next season.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
A tonne of work for the wings to do to get into WC race next season.
They are 28 points behind the 8th spot this season. Currently sit 8th worst having been passed recently by Buffalo in the standings.

That is a massive turnaround to even be within 5/6 points of the final WC spot next season.
Certainly lots of work, but they have lots of options and several very good young players to build around.
Big if they make the moves they could, but I'd think they make a few big moves. Idk what they are but theyre in a position for anything and thats the point.

Kinda same with Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad