Around the League Thread Part III: Free Agent Frenzy Hangover

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not sure about this one. 4M is a little high, considering he's been inconsistant. If he returns to form, it's a fair deal. If he doesn't, then it's three long years.

4M left for Sanheim

I think it's fine. He's the 22nd-highest-paid goalie in the league, making slightly more than Petr Mrazek and Cam Talbot. I don't think his struggles last season rest solely on his shoulders, plus he's only 22 with a ton of potential. I'd take him in LA for that price without a doubt.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I think it's fine. He's the 22nd-highest-paid goalie in the league, making slightly more than Petr Mrazek and Cam Talbot. I don't think his struggles last season rest solely on his shoulders, plus he's only 22 with a ton of potential. I'd take him in LA for that price without a doubt.
Philly fans seem to shit all over him every chance they get. Not sure if that means he sucks or just Philly being Philly.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Philly fans seem to shit all over him every chance they get. Not sure if that means he sucks or just Philly being Philly.

last year was a rough year for sure, although I imagine a lot of those same "fans" were singing his praises after the 19-20 season

Reactions: Bandit

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think he's the right goalie for that sort of minor gamble at least.

Pedigree, history of excellence in the league, youth.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm hoping the story about the sharks having a fractured locker room is true. If not, it's still entertaining to read.

*toasts*

Confusion to the sharks!
:cheers:

It looks like the sharks may need to go into full rebuild and won't be competitive for a few years. That fan base has not had to endure that since back to the expansion years. The sharks have been a competitive team for a long time, and it will be interesting to see how the fanbase does with sustained period of mediocracy.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You can’t even rebuild though. People can laugh about how bad the Kings are, but the Sharks are probably in the worst shape of any team in the entire league for the future. The substantial money they owe aging players for the next 4-5 years is staggering. Just a series of disastrous moves like trading for Karlsson and then having that pick become a lottery selection. Doug Wilson is best friends with the owner so he essentially has lifetime job security like Bob Murray, but he needs to go. Without Eklund their prospect pool is average too. What a train wreck that entire team is top to bottom.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You can’t even rebuild though. People can laugh about how bad the Kings are, but the Sharks are probably in the worst shape of any team in the entire league for the future. The substantial money they owe aging players for the next 4-5 years is staggering. Just a series of disastrous moves like trading for Karlsson and then having that pick become a lottery selection. Doug Wilson is best friends with the owner so he essentially has lifetime job security like Bob Murray, but he needs to go. Without Eklund their prospect pool is average too. What a train wreck that entire team is top to bottom.

which is why I think it will be very prolonged mediocrity. Their fans are going to have a good decade ahead of them here.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
Am I alone in suspecting Kane will, in-fact, play out next season as a Shark*, while the NHL continuously kicks the can down the road with intermittent "updates" like, "We take these allegations very seriously/we're still investigating/updates will be forthcoming!"...??

*Note: Not sure this is necessarily even a good thing for them; it's more: I just don't forsee a swift resolution to this. Now, if San Jose management truly is fed up with him, they might try and Dean Lombardi his contract; but, of course, that's almost certainly gonna' end up in arbitration (we Kings fans have seen this movie before - or , rather, we didn't, since no details were actually shared with the public; but, whatever...)

Reactions: Kings Rule

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Doug Wilson is no Dean Lombardi, but most Sharks fans will tell you how great Wilson is as a GM.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Am I alone in suspecting Kane will, in-fact, play out next season as a Shark*, while the NHL continuously kicks the can down the road with intermittent "updates" like, "We take these allegations very seriously/we're still investigating/updates will be forthcoming!"...??

*Note: Not sure this is necessarily even a good thing for them; it's more: I just don't forsee a swift resolution to this. Now, if San Jose management truly is fed up with him, they might try and Dean Lombardi his contract; but, of course, that's almost certainly gonna' end up in arbitration (we Kings fans have seen this movie before - or , rather, we didn't, since no details were actually shared with the public; but, whatever...)

It's not like they would, hypothetically, suspend a player indefinitely while they investigate and eventually wait for said player to self deport and never resolve it.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

escalated-quickly-anchorman.gif

"Kapril The Thrill" is going to be 'thrilling it up' in Moscow soon if Guerin is going to continue playing hard ball.

Reactions: KingsCourt and YP44

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Not sure this is necessarily even a good thing for them; it's more: I just don't forsee a swift resolution to this. Now, if San Jose management truly is fed up with him, they might try and Dean Lombardi his contract; but, of course, that's almost certainly gonna' end up in arbitration (we Kings fans have seen this movie before - or , rather, we didn't, since no details were actually shared with the public; but, whatever...)

It sounds like his teammates are more than fed up with it... hence the recent article:

Several Sharks teammates don't want Evander Kane back on the team: Sources

Evander Kane's teammates want him out off Sharks amid gambling allegations

"Some of his Sharks teammates don’t want the left winger to return next season, according to The Athletic. San Jose reportedly tried to trade Kane earlier this summer, due mostly to the 30-year-old’s strained relationship with a number of teammates."

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I have said it before.
Our lack of player development and lack of structure in the scouting department was our undoing
Maybe, but every person that finally tastes success has some used car salesman moments along the way. It’s possible for Murray to have been not that great for us and then figured it out when he got to TB.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Maybe, but every person that finally tastes success has some used car salesman moments along the way. It’s possible for Murray to have been not that great for us and then figured it out when he got to TB.

Let's not forget, we drafted a lot of great players after Murray left, too.

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I know Futa had a big say in drafting Simmonds, but I wonder if the uptick in positive press for the Kings drafting since Blake took over is due to Yanetti having more control over it since Futa left. Drafting in the top 5 is one thing, but I feel like public sphere prospect evaluators have loved all of our round 2-7 picks in the last 3-4 drafts too (which is great).

Development will still be the key, but I think we're starting to see that bear fruit with players like Iafallo, Anderson, Bjornfot, and Kaliyev.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Our scouting department has improved significantly since the departure of Lombardi if we're being honest. Our player development, especially at forward, is still extremely suspect.
Is it really development or just what they've drafted. As I pointed out in another thread, the Kings have drafted just one winger in the first round since Tukonen in 2004. The only first round "misfire" at center so far since 2004 is Kempe and he is probably fine for his draft position. Now, if GV, AT and QB flounder then you may have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad