Around the League Thread Part III: Free Agent Frenzy Hangover

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That's a giant contract for Werenski. Like them or not now, Karlsson and Doughty earned their contracts. Werenski is now the third-highest-paid defenseman by AAV. That's a lot of dough. He's obviously a great player but he certainly wouldn't have gotten that here.

Anyway, onward and upward my fellow Kings nerds.

Reactions: Legionnaire

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Seems like with Columbus being unable to keep their top players, they just offered Werenski a blank check and he took it

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Werenski's deal is perhaps overpayment, but for acity who cannot keep top players, he's been openly loyal and dedicated to the team. Also, he's been a consistant producer every year he's been in the NHL. 335 games, 65 goals and 189 points, and usually gets close to 25 minuates a game and effective in all situations.

only burns and hamilton have more goals that he does, since he arrived in the NHL. He's a top d, and got paid accordingly.

He's only 24, has a lot of years left to produce.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
what is Nurse's extension going to look like?
Holland overpays, and typically GMs have to overpay to keep guys in Edmonton.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That's a giant contract for Werenski. Like them or not now, Karlsson and Doughty earned their contracts. Werenski is now the third-highest-paid defenseman by AAV. That's a lot of dough. He's obviously a great player but he certainly wouldn't have gotten that here.
I guess I'm one of the few that thinks the Werenski contract is okay.

He's probably getting overpaid by about a 1.5M. But that's what it takes to keep a guy in Ohio. It's better than trading him IMO.

You're supposed to pay players for what they're going to do, not what they've done. Werenski is 24 years old. He'll be 29 in the last year of the deal. CBJ is getting all his prime years. It's a much better contract than Doughty/Karlsson who are being paid for what they did in the past.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
So it’s better to pay for what they might do and not for what they’ve have done , are doing and have accomplished

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess I'm one of the few that thinks the Werenski contract is okay.

He's probably getting overpaid by about a 1.5M. But that's what it takes to keep a guy in Ohio. It's better than trading him IMO.

You're supposed to pay players for what they're going to do, not what they've done. Werenski is 24 years old. He'll be 29 in the last year of the deal. CBJ is getting all his prime years. It's a much better contract than Doughty/Karlsson who are being paid for what they did in the past.

I'm actually not even sure it's overpayment given contracts like Trouba's and by year 4-5 it'll look downright great.

But I also don't think it's comparable to Doughty/Karlsson especially given it was one RFA year

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Not that I believe it’s a possibility at this time, but I think Werenski’s contract actually helps in a trade scenario. He can be viewed as a commodity with a known value for a set term, rather than an RFA who wanted god knows what or from who. This might make it easier to agree on a price for him in a year or two, if the Jackets go that route. Which at this point is unlikely but you never know.

Reactions: funky and bland

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Not that I believe it’s a possibility at this time, but I think Werenski’s contract actually helps in a trade scenario. He can be viewed as a commodity with a known value for a set term, rather than an RFA who wanted god knows what or from who. This might make it easier to agree on a price for him in a year or two, if the Jackets go that route. Which at this point is unlikely but you never know.
Couldn't agree more.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Why the f*** would anyone want Ryan Reaves on their roster? Let alone extending him for another year. Such as waste of space.

Token

May 15, 2019
Why the f*** would anyone want Ryan Reaves on their roster? Let alone extending him for another year. Such as waste of space.
You clearly missed Wilson beating up most of their top line in a single brawl …

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
All I know is that whenever the Kings have to play against Reeves I hate it.

I think that says something.

I would of just rather called Seattle and got Paul MacDermids son or offered Kurtis Gabriel $850-$900k as opposed to pay a 35 year old Ryan Reaves $1.75 million and promptly extend him another year for the reported same amount.

They are all pressbox guys but I would prefer to save cap space when it comes to picking up a pugilist.

Did they not also bring in Tinordi? He’s a big boy too. Doesn’t drop the gloves much but is a presence out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia