Around the League Thread Part III: Free Agent Frenzy Hangover

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
There’s just a monumental drop off after Jones. It seems like a blueline full of fillers, which we as Kings fans know what that’s like the past couple of seasons with Doughty and the rest of the blueline.

Agreed, to an extent. The Hawks don't have a second top-pairing guy to play with Jones, but Murphy, McCabe and deHaan are adequate 3/4/5 guys and while there is no Werenski to play with Jones, the Hawks defense should be significant better this season. The hope is one of the young d-men will grow into a top pairing guy over the next couple years. It obviously won't be Boqvist who went in the Jones trade but there are a few others who have high ceiling potential - so who knows?

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
. [B said:
It's pretty remarkable the arch the Kings have made in the last 12 years. Top prospect pool with a second and fifth overall pick for franchise players, a few playoff years, Stanley Cup/WCF/Stanley Cup, and now back to the beginning - top prospect pool with a fifth and second overall pick for franchise players in consecutive years.[/B]

tenor.gif

Reactions: BringTheReign

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I imagine he'll replace Kuokkanen on the 2nd line, although somebody's going to be playing on their off wing. The number of left shot wingers on the Devils is reminding me of the late 90's rosters.

Left: Zacha-Bratt-Tatar-Sharangovich-Kuokkanen-Wood-Johnsson-Boqvist

Right: Thompson?

THey are a bit thin but Sharangovich , Bratt, McLeod

and they have some CAP $ left.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think one big difference between the Hawks and Kings is that the Hawks have sure things in some young players, such as Debrincat and Kubalik. The Kings only have potentially good young players in the deep prospect pool, but no one guaranteed to be scoring beasts like Debrincat and Kubalik. That said, I am optimistic about our prospects.

The Hawks have been more aggressive than the Kings in getting young players up to the NHL sooner than later. Whether that's good or bad is debatable and it probably depends on the player more than anything else but DeBrincat was 19, Boqvist and Dach were 18 when they started their NHL careers. It worked well with DCat, Boqvist probably should have spent a year in the AHL and the jury is still out on Dach. I think if management can be patient it is generally better to handle it the way the Kings are by over marinating them rather than rushing them.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The Hawks have been more aggressive than the Kings in getting young players up to the NHL sooner than later. Whether that's good or bad is debatable and it probably depends on the player more than anything else but DeBrincat was 19, Boqvist and Dach were 18 when they started their NHL careers. It worked well with DCat, Boqvist probably should have spent a year in the NHL and the jury is still out on Dach. I think if management can be patient it is generally better to handle it the way the Kings are by over marinating them rather than rushing them.

Yeah, I agree with longer development, but it seemed to have panned out for the Hawks. It may also with the Kings, but the point being that the Hawks have talent that we already know are really good. The Kings are still a question mark until the prospects make it to the NHL full time and hit certain goal scoring numbers.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think if management can be patient it is generally better to handle it the way the Kings are by over marinating them rather than rushing them.

We don't take credit for this... Detroit lets their prospects overripen in the AHL more than any team in the league.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Seems like young defenseman are like QB’s now. Next guy up, gets to set the new level and on and on.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Doughty's contract was about 2.5% higher as a percentage of the cap when signed. Older player etc...but he just finished a season where he was All-NHL First Team and runner up for the Norris to go along with everything else he had accomplished.

Pretty gnarly contract number there.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Doughty's contract was about 2.5% higher as a percentage of the cap when signed. Older player etc...but he just finished a season where he was All-NHL First Team and runner up for the Norris to go along with everything else he had accomplished.

Pretty gnarly contract number there.

Thing about all contracts signed 2+ years ago, they were signed knowing their impact will be “reduced” every year as the cap was growing. These contracts get no cap relief for atleast 3 years, and might not see any real relief for 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->