Around the League Thread Part II: Final Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Just took a quick look at the Logan Mailloux fiasco.

There are a number of legal issues that I'm not sure the Habs thought all the way through.

There are a number of immigration issues that only competent immigration counsel can provide answers for.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Just took a quick look at the Logan Mailloux fiasco.

There are a number of legal issues that I'm not sure the Habs thought all the way through.

There are a number of immigration issues that only competent immigration counsel can provide answers for.

Well done Montreal!!! What would have happened if Blake bulled this junk. Sheesh. I don't even want to know.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
We traded Darcy Kuemper for Scott Wedgewood and Tobias Reider at the 2018 deadline.
Apparently he’s a fine wine, only gets better with age.

Is it my imagination or was this the busiest UFA day ever? Feels like it. Also haven’t been on here a ton today but haven’t had any trouble loading the site at all. Do you believe in miracles?

Reactions: kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Apparently he’s a fine wine, only gets better with age.

Is it my imagination or was this the busiest UFA day ever? Feels like it. Also haven’t been on here a ton today but haven’t had any trouble loading the site at all. Do you believe in miracles?
Absolutely, but probably because of the expansion draft. We still haven't seen the end of the Eichel saga either.

Reactions: Bandit

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Honestly Sakic panic bought. Probably coulda waited till mid season to pull the trigger. Avs could be a division leader with an average HF poster in goal.

Shit if Cal comes out decent, Quick can probably be had for less.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
"we just need replacement level goaltending' inevitably turns into 'we're going to panic buy at inflated value a replacement level goalie who shows signs of not being one instead of a proven #1' for all these pretenders. Really disappointed in the Avs there.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
They are going to seriously regret letting Grubauer walk. Washington is a goalie factory and that guy is really good, major downgrade for Colorado.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Grubauer blew it against VGK, it was time to move on.

Wonder where Eichel ends up? Sounds like VGK or Anaheim.

Would be extremely difficult at this point for Vegas to acquire him. They are at the cap. Even throwing in a guy like Reilly Smith to help with the numbers wouldn’t be enough.

I’d say keep an eye on Minnesota still. Maybe the Rangers too but it’s more likely he gets dealt to the West.

Teams are moving on and using their cap space so the options are dwindling.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Anaheim is going to be very bad next season, no way do they include a first. I just don’t see them doing it. At this point I really don’t see any team being interested. Way too much and way too many unknowns about his neck. Kings got their guy and thankfully gave up nothing. Hopefully Vilardi takes a big step next season and Turcotte stays healthy and dominates the AHL.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Honestly Sakic panic bought. Probably coulda waited till mid season to pull the trigger. Avs could be a division leader with an average HF poster in goal.

Shit if Cal comes out decent, Quick can probably be had for less.

Yeah they overpaid, but their cap has them backed into a corner. Had they paid Grubauer 5.9 like Seattle did, they'd have 3M in cap space with 17 guys on the roster. Jost is getting a raise, so even plugging in 2 ELC guys would put them over.

Getting a solid guy like Kuemper at 3.5M was absolutely needed, the extra value they paid was necessary to keep them from losing someone they wanted to keep on their roster.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Yeah they overpaid, but their cap has them backed into a corner. Had they paid Grubauer 5.9 like Seattle did, they'd have 3M in cap space with 17 guys on the roster. Jost is getting a raise, so even plugging in 2 ELC guys would put them over.

Getting a solid guy like Kuemper at 3.5M was absolutely needed, the extra value they paid was necessary to keep them from losing someone they wanted to keep on their roster.

Except later and later into the season you go, the higher and higher the cap can be to fit.

It was a panic move.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Avalanche aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, sorry, not picking them to win it all. Vegas kicked their ass in round 2. Grubauer should have been the guy. Sub 2 GAA and 7 shutouts, got better every year and this season was his breakout year. Colorado got weaker this offseason. Every Stanley Cup winner has their guy that has been in the system for a while, plugging in a piece like this won't work. Their defense is still too inexperienced. Avalanche are still a couple years from being a real threat and by that time they'll have the cap crunch because of this horrible Landeskog contract and MacKinnon getting 11 and Byram getting 7+. Stupid, stupid move to let Grubauer get away. The Landeskog contract and letting Grubauer walk will be big mistakes.

Colorado is a warning I've been preaching the last couple weeks - if you don't have a drafted and developed goalie, or at least a goalie you acquired and had in the system for a few years (like Grubauer), you are not winning the Cup, period. Big, big mistake by Sakic, especially after the concerns they had a few years ago.

Kings still have time but need to get it going. Getting an elite goaltender prospect through next year's draft or hockey trade should be the #1 priority now. The prospect pool needs it badly and it's the 1 glaring weakness after drafting Clarke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad