Around the League Thread Part II: Final Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
it's a good cap hit for him

Another big mistake by Colorado. Saad was a machine in the playoffs (think he was tied for their goal scoring lead) AND has the Stanley Cup experience and wins. You need players like that on a team that's never won. Colorado got worse this offseason.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Another big mistake by Colorado. Saad was a machine in the playoffs (think he was tied for their goal scoring lead) AND has the Stanley Cup experience and wins. You need players like that on a team that's never won. Colorado got worse this offseason.

I think it was expected that Colorado got worse this season, their cap situation wasn't great. If they got Saad at 4.5 they could have fit him and Jost in, but that means a roster size of 20 and only guys in their system to bring up so it might not have been feasible.

The writing is on the wall with the Avalanche, things are going to change drastically after the upcoming season. Kadri, Burakovsky, Nichushkin - all UFA after this season - along with guys like Helm, Matteau, Sherwood who they just signed. They have a decent set of prospects, but the two key guys are Bowen and Newhook and Bowen is already on the roster. Without them they are middle of the pack. They don't have the top-end prospects to replace those UFA's so they are probably going to have to sign guys, which isn't cheap. They could try and gut their pool with trades to extend, but I'm not sure their prospects have the value to bring in the necessary pieces, it's not like they are full of A-level guys. They will certainly have a ton of space, but the UFA guys they have now are going to be looking to cash in.

Even if they signed Saad for what St.L did, the 5 years is a problem. MacKinnon is going to get double digits, meaning their top 3 forwards + Makar are going to be taking up over 40% of their cap space after a couple of years.

I've been impressed with Sakic, but I think the expectation was this past year was their best shot. Having Kadri, Saad, and Burakovsky on those older contracts gave them some wiggle room. They are going to look quite different in 22-23, Joe's got his work cut out for him.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I know having Eichel on this team would have amazeballz but let's be honest about what Kevyn Adams is actually willing to take to make the trade happen...

NMC kicks in July 2022.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I know having Eichel on this team would have amazeballz but let's be honest about what Kevyn Adams is actually willing to take to make the trade happen...

NMC kicks in July 2022.

At this point hard pass, Danault slammed the door shut and long term it'll probably be the better move. It cost us nothing, we can move the key piece (most likely Turcotte) to the wing, and we don't have to worry about injuries or that massive contract.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
At this point hard pass, Danault slammed the door shut and long term it'll probably be the better move. It cost us nothing, we can move the key piece (most likely Turcotte) to the wing, and we don't have to worry about injuries or that massive contract.
I think this free agent frenzy this week slammed the door on a lot of teams. I’m sure someone will pony up some assets for him, but Buffalo missed out on an opportunity where multiple teams are in the bidding.
But then again, some desperate GM will offer up to ouch and HF Boards will crash!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ryan Reaves traded to New York for a third.

Now he doesn't have to answer for the teams adding toughness on the west coast. He can pick his fights out east.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Bit of a surprise to see Vegas trade him away, but I'm not complaining.

And now Lumbus resigns Werenski to an extension.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Ryan Reaves traded to New York for a third.

Now he doesn't have to answer for the teams adding toughness on the west coast. He can pick his fights out east.

Really bummed for MacD. He's wanted that fight and now it won't happen.

The fall out from Wilson's horrific act of violence is something else though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This dude gets it.

Werenski's extension cover one RFA year and five UFA years. Off top of my head, Makar's deal covers five RFA years and one UFA year. Not quite apples to apples especially with Makar not having arbitration or offer sheet routes.

Not the perfect example, but it'd be like comparing Drew Doughty's second contract to his third contract.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Werenski's extension cover one RFA year and five UFA years. Off top of my head, Makar's deal covers five RFA years and one UFA year. Not quite apples to apples especially with Makar not having arbitration or offer sheet routes.

Not the perfect example, but it'd be like comparing Drew Doughty's second contract to his third contract.

Yup. One thing you can always count on with Dom: he doesn't get it.

Reactions: cyclones22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->