Around the League Thread | Hockey is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There are a lot of teams in the NHL where I look at them and wonder what the f***ing point of them existing even is.

Blue Jackets, Blues, Predators, Capitals, Jets, Flames, etc. All middling boring teams with management/ownership too cowardly to go hard in any direction. Just kind of wandering around in the middle making some moves but then taking steps back to go nowhere. Utterly useless.

I’d almost lump the Wild and Islanders in there but at least one of them made a big splash for Horvat and the other made the two biggest buyouts in history. Then neither have followed up with anything to further push them over the edge and are just upper-tier middling teams.
CBJ is trying to compete, they are just crazy incompetent. Jurmo deserves to be fired and will probably be fired.
WAS has one focus and that’s getting Ovy to break Gretzky’s record. After that they are going to rebuild.
Wild is in a weird spot, they have some really good pieces and it does make sense for them to continue to build and wait for the cap penalty to pass.

The rest, from a sporting perspective they should rebuild but this just illustrates that rebuild is not just a pure sporting decision but a financial decision. And it would be crazy to see like 6-8 teams trying to rebuild at the same time.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I still have no idea what the Flames were thinking with those contracts. Such a stupid move right from the beginning. Huberdeau trade/contract as well. WTF are you thinking?

Just feels like a team full of players just there for the paycheck.
Just be glad the mastermind behind those deals are now working for the Leafs.

northwestrcomfort

Jul 11, 2023
CBJ is trying to compete, they are just crazy incompetent. Jurmo deserves to be fired and will probably be fired.
WAS has one focus and that’s getting Ovy to break Gretzky’s record. After that they are going to rebuild.
Wild is in a weird spot, they have some really good pieces and it does make sense for them to continue to build and wait for the cap penalty to pass.

The rest, from a sporting perspective they should rebuild but this just illustrates that rebuild is not just a pure sporting decision but a financial decision. And it would be crazy to see like 6-8 teams trying to rebuild at the same time.
I like CBJ because they went for it. They didn’t’ trade either Panarin or Bob when they probably knew neither were going to resign and they got Duchene. Also had horrible injury luck last year. Biggest issue with them is horrible coaching choices and likely a bad environment given all the players leaving (e.g. Dubois).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I like CBJ because they went for it. They didn’t’ trade either Panarin or Bob when they probably knew neither were going to resign and they got Duchene. Also had horrible injury luck last year. Biggest issue with them is horrible coaching choices and likely a bad environment given all the players leaving (e.g. Dubois).

Their biggest problem is they refuse to get an actual centre. They’ll do everything else but try and acquire one.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I saw Nickelback in Vancouver in the summer ish and they killed. I think it's just trendy to hate them.
Did Kroger's voice sound like it did today when you saw them? He literally could not hit the notes for How You Remind Me, which is not a challenging song to sing.

Can’t even be bought out, would be like 12 years of cap penalty
haha. wow. that is a super mega buy out proof contract:
1698634092358.png

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I still have no idea what the Flames were thinking with those contracts. Such a stupid move right from the beginning. Huberdeau trade/contract as well. WTF are you thinking?

Just feels like a team full of players just there for the paycheck.
I hate the Flames,but I see why Treliving signed them..Basically,they have a number of elite prime aged players on the team..You may as well milk what you can from your current core group for a few seasons ( they were a 112 point team the season before last).

The only other alternative is to get rid of everyone..and do a ground up rebuild.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Did Kroger's voice sound like it did today when you saw them? He literally could not hit the notes for How You Remind Me, which is not a challenging song to sing.

Didn't actually see them today, maybe I'll be able to find video.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
I saw Nickelback in Vancouver in the summer ish and they killed. I think it's just trendy to hate them.
it was definitely trendy to hate them

they still suck tho and you should feel bad for giving them money

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
it was definitely trendy to hate them

they still suck tho and you should feel bad for giving them money
Meh, my wife wanted to go, and I really enjoyed myself. They've got a pretty big catalog. You're definitely not going there to hear like Bob Dylan etc but if you want to hear fun rock jams they've got that nailed.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not a fan of their music at all but I will say the hate is probably due to the generation that would tune into the radio and hear their songs being overplayed to death. That was due to the radio stations being forced to play Canadian content 35% of the day.

Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado were horribly overplayed as well during the early 2000s.

Reactions: Kryten and andora

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Not a fan of their music at all but I will say the hate is probably due to the generation that would tune into the radio and hear their songs being overplayed to death. That was due to the radio stations being forced to play Canadian content 35% of the day.

Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado were horribly overplayed as well during the early 2000s.

Nickelback, Nelly Furtado, and Avril Lavigne weren't getting play due to CanCon rules. They all had a number of really, very big international chart hits over a several years. They were getting play like that all over the place. They've all sold tens of millions of records worldwide.

Like, I think Nickelback is just absolutely awful, but they had absolutely enormous hits beyond just the Canadian market.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
showing my age here but i remember back in high school i had this friend who wasalways talking up this local band that not a lot of people knew called nickleback. it was the late 90s and they had this song that was on semi-regular rotation on 99.3 the fox that sounded exactly like the band bush.

and i thought, yeah that’s what the world wants to listen to, a cancon version of bush (x)

well they sure showed me right?

Reactions: Zombotron

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado
were horribly overplayed as well during the early 2000s.
Isnt every hit song overplayed to death..?

Avril lavigne and Nelly Furtado had worldwide success...Unlike bands like Tragically Hip,Trooper,54-40 who are only really known in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad