Around the League Thread | Full Arenas Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think I've ever seen an acquisition look as immediately terrible as Seth Jones.

Heck MAF is on the same team but you are right things have gone really sideways in the windy city and I have to admit that they were my sleeper candidate this year.

That being said there aren't as bad as there start indicates as their PDO won't stay that poor but their season is over, now the only question is what other young stud will they draft next summer?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The only thing separating the two is that Chicago invested significantly more in Jones.

Well that and there is the probability that Jones will actually come around and be a very good player for the black Hawks, first 6 games aside.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Heck MAF is on the same team but you are right things have gone really sideways in the windy city and I have to admit that they were my sleeper candidate this year.

That being said there aren't as bad as there start indicates as their PDO won't stay that poor but their season is over, now the only question is what other young stud will they draft next summer?
Horrible defensive coaches drive poor PDO.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Horrible defensive coaches drive poor PDO.

Fair enough but they also have had incredibly bad luck over their first 6 games and their PDO numbers won't remain as low as they are now and that was my point.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Fair enough but they also have had incredibly bad luck over their first 6 games and their PDO numbers won't remain as low as they are now and that was my point.
Don't disagree, but they have a 'unique' defensive coverage system that's proving it doesn't work in the NHL. This was the biggest issue that Eakins had with the Oilers.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I thought they looked like Vegas usually looks. Controlled the play. Controlled the shot share. Controlled the chances.

Ran into a tough team with a hot goalie.

That’s what a game between two well coached teams. It didn’t look too different and they’re missing by far their two most prolific offensive forwards.

The thing about Vegas is that they haven't scored a PP goal yet and are still controlling play fairly well with 2 of their top players out as well as Tuch.

I doubt that they win the division as the Oilers were my pick there but they are still a team to beat for a playoff spot when it comes time.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hull was 40 that's hardly a fair comparison and it cost Phoenix nothing he was a UFA

Jones cost the Hawks 3 major building blocks and almost 12% of their cap space

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Holding Mcdavid and Drai to a combined 3 assists in their season opener at home, and clawing out the shootout point is looking pretty good right now… Just saying.

Oilers look good this year.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Couldn't imagine being in my late teens or early 20s and having hundreds of thousands of dollars just flowing in regularly. In university I had a $500-limit credit card, and somehow managed to screw that up.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Couldn't imagine being in my late teens or early 20s and having hundreds of thousands of dollars just flowing in regularly. In university I had a $500-limit credit card, and somehow managed to screw that up.
Important to have good people around you plus yourself realizing that your earning potential is very short lived as a pro athlete. You won’t see this annual income for all of your life. It comes fast and has to last you for the next 50 - 60 or so years of your life.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Holding Mcdavid and Drai to a combined 3 assists in their season opener at home, and clawing out the shootout point is looking pretty good right now… Just saying.

Oilers look good this year.

As long as they get goaltending, they'll be a decent playoff contender. I still think they top-out in the second round unless a bunch of guys breakout.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Nick Ritchie making 2.5 already looks like a terrible contract which was so predictable. On the 4th line and lots of Leaf fans want him out of the lineup. Mrazek at 3.8 is also pretty suspect. Him and Campbell are both made of glass and Hutchinson isn’t a legitimate NHL option. Extremely questionable offseason from Dubas.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Leafs need to blow it up and try again. Both the roster and their management. They have some incredible individual pieces, but the sum is definitely less than its parts right now. It is a really poorly constructed team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nick Ritchie making 2.5 already looks like a terrible contract which was so predictable. On the 4th line and lots of Leaf fans want him out of the lineup. Mrazek at 3.8 is also pretty suspect. Him and Campbell are both made of glass and Hutchinson isn’t a legitimate NHL option. Extremely questionable offseason from Dubas.
The team has gotten incrementally worse each passing year that Dubas has been GM.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Leafs need to blow it up and try again. Both the roster and their management. They have some incredible individual pieces, but the sum is definitely less than its parts right now. It is a really poorly constructed team.
Did Dubas really go and build the team in the image he wanted? Thought he was the new school guy, heavy into analytics and puck possession.
Major downfall for him was his contract negotiations with his RFAs. Should have known his weaknesses and delegated to someone who could handle it. Lou Lam wouldn’t have given their kids that kind of contract. New gm like Dubas couldn’t handle the media and fan heat during those negotiations and gave in too much.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
:yo:

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Hull was 40 that's hardly a fair comparison and it cost Phoenix nothing he was a UFA

Jones cost the Hawks 3 major building blocks and almost 12% of their cap space
Fine. But performance wise (I didn't know cost was part of the equation here)... Hull came in extremely out of shape and retired after like 6 games.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Campbell was killing it before that Pittsburgh game. It happens. I actually quite like the Mrazek/Campbell duo but it's a fair point about the injury concerns. Hilariously, Carolina picked up Andersen (also made of glass) and he's been on fire. They also picked up Raanta (made of ... something more breakable than glass?)

I think the Leafs will be fine. It's super fun to watch them implode though.

Reactions: Tonystretcher

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Did Dubas really go and build the team in the image he wanted? Thought he was the new school guy, heavy into analytics and puck possession.
Major downfall for him was his contract negotiations with his RFAs. Should have known his weaknesses and delegated to someone who could handle it. Lou Lam wouldn’t have given their kids that kind of contract. New gm like Dubas couldn’t handle the media and fan heat during those negotiations and gave in too much.
Nothing that the leafs have done in at least like three seasons has been directed by analytics. A bunch of terrible moves.

Dubas has just been unable to properly surround the core pieces he has has in place. Bunch of bad fits all over the lineup and they’ve had this issue for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark