Around the League Thread | Everything Else Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its rediculous other teams couldnt figure their shit out to beat this
Kind of what it comes down to. Tanev had. A 10 team ntc so 21 teams he can moved to. Say theirs is 6-8 seriously interested teams and those other 6 or so opted not to push more than a 2nd and former 2nd rounder and a conditional pick to secure Tanev???

Reactions: andora

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think a lot of Canuck fans were caught up in the Tanev hoopla, based on his last couple of years in Vancouver playing with Quinn Hughes. But that was 'then', this is 'now'.

Tanev isn't 29 or 30 any more, he's 34, and coming off an injury-riddled three years in a Flames uniform. He's still valuable playoff insurance......but not at the expense of a first round draft pick.

And I'd be surprised if he re-ups in Dallas, unless they go on an extended march all the way to the Cup Final. I think Conroy and the Flames got what they could. If they'd really valued Tanev, they'd have made an effort to sign him to an extension.

I'm sure he would have been willing to sign a 'team-friendly' deal to stay in Cowtown. But from all reports, he wasn't given the chance.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'm sure he would have been willing to sign a 'team-friendly' deal to stay in Cowtown. But from all reports, he wasn't given the chance.
The TDL isn't here yet.
IMO they put in a really big effort if one of their goalies is traded.
The best backup is a stout defence, they can make a decent goalie look really good.

He might not need to make a team friendly deal either. The going rate for 34/35 year olds isn't that high or long.

What made him so respected in the room in Vancouver is the same in Calgary.

Apparently I totally missed a day. Trades trades trades.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No trade list or not that is a return flames fans should be very disappointed with. No high pick. No top prospect. Quite honestly it looks like a whole lot of nothing. Very strange to pull the trigger on that offering IMO.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
No trade list or not that is a return flames fans should be very disappointed with. No high pick. No top prospect. Quite honestly it looks like a whole lot of nothing. Very strange to pull the trigger on that offering IMO.
It does position the Flames to be the "third" in a trade. Taking on some cap for picks/prospects to facilitate a bigger trades for some other teams.

Dallas sure loaded up but are now capped out. 250K left.

A bold trade for the Canucks for now and the future would be for Crouse. The team could use a big winger that can skate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiripa20

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Tanev isn't 29 or 30 any more, he's 34, and coming off an injury-riddled three years in a Flames uniform.
Pardon? First off, this is his fourth year in Calgary.

Secondly, he's missed 19 games total in these four seasons including 2 fully healthy years.

Reading your takes from the sidelines the last while I'm not certain if you're a bot or a real human with shoddy memory but either way you need to brush up on your data-scraping.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Secondly, he's missed 19 games total in these four seasons including 2 fully healthy years.

Reading your takes from the sidelines the last while I'm not certain if you're a bot or a real human with shoddy memory but either way you need to brush up on your data-scraping.
I counted 46 games since he joined the Flames.

Edit Yeah did not realize the shortened season so it’s 20 games.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Just off memory that sounds wrong - his first year was the shortened season
Correct. It's less than 20 games he missed total with CGY.

Its rediculous other teams couldnt figure their shit out to beat this
Yep. Hard to believe no one beat that offer on Tanev.

No one offered a 1st? And at 50% retention on the CGY side?

I don't get what Conroy's been holding out for if that's the ultimate return.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

VanJack could legitimately be AI.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think a lot of Canuck fans were caught up in the Tanev hoopla, based on his last couple of years in Vancouver playing with Quinn Hughes. But that was 'then', this is 'now'.

Tanev isn't 29 or 30 any more, he's 34, and coming off an injury-riddled three years in a Flames uniform. He's still valuable playoff insurance......but not at the expense of a first round draft pick.

And I'd be surprised if he re-ups in Dallas, unless they go on an extended march all the way to the Cup Final. I think Conroy and the Flames got what they could. If they'd really valued Tanev, they'd have made an effort to sign him to an extension.

I'm OK with not giving up a 1st rounder. But at the same time I think we need to consider the intangibles - Tanev is a highly respected figure here in Orca town, is a fearless warrior on ice, and can provide valuable leadership for the younger players. And by that I mean real leadership, not Le3D@rsheEp from bums like Brandon balls of steel Sutter and Jay f***ing Beagle.

If Tanev is not extended, I'm really hoping that he'd considered returning to us on UFA.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How tf did Calgary not get a first for Tanev?? And 75% retained too

What a steal by the Stars

from weekes yesterday it sounds like there are hard feelings with treliving so he wasn't going to toronto without a premium, and after two trades of roster players to the canucks this year a third would have been pretty bad optics for a team that is not rebulding so, again, another premium.

plus i think conroy had to move tanev so he could focus on hanifin and marky.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Correct. It's less than 20 games he missed total with CGY.

Yep. Hard to believe no one beat that offer on Tanev.

No one offered a 1st? And at 50% retention on the CGY side?

I don't get what Conroy's been holding out for if that's the ultimate return.
Ty on the tanev gp.. yeah i figured

And yeah.. i mean ..yeah on this trade package i just dont get it. I get maybe the leaf treliving thing and yet another canuck trade but there are several legit teams that could have beat this

from weekes yesterday it sounds like there are hard feelings with treliving so he wasn't going to toronto without a premium, and after two trades of roster players to the canucks this year a third would have been pretty bad optics for a team that is not rebulding so, again, another premium.

plus i think conroy had to move tanev so he could focus on hanifin and marky.
If he gave in on this one to 'focus' on the other two woof

Either overwhelmed or impatient

Reactions: DarrenX

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

I think Tavares is a good comparable, I wouldn't say Pettersson is a much better player than he was (16th in overall scoring in 2018, Pettersson is currently 10th). The cap has not gone up much since Tavares signed due to the pandemic.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think Tavares is a good comparable, I wouldn't say Pettersson is a much better player than he was (16th in overall scoring in 2018, Pettersson is currently 10th). The cap has not gone up much since Tavares signed due to the pandemic.
Not sure why this was a reply to my Tanev post but....

Cap has gone up ~10% since Tavares signed. He signed for $11 mil but his best season was 86 points. Pettersson will likely have back-to-back 100 point seasons and is a few years younger than Tavares was.

Reactions: supercanuck

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Not sure why this was a reply to my Tanev post but....

Cap has gone up ~10% since Tavares signed. He signed for $11 mil but his best season was 86 points. Pettersson will likely have back-to-back 100 point seasons and is a few years younger than Tavares was.

Must have screwed up on the multiquote thing.

Overall scoring has gone up in the league since Tavares signed, particularly amongst elite players, so it's more reasonable to compare how they stack up against their peers.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Either overwhelmed or impatient

there were four buyers rumoured for tanev. two of them are division rivals, and one employs their old gm. if calgary doesn't really want to deal with any of them then they have only one buyer unless the other guys offer a premium. so you give it some time for that toe happen, make a last call, then strike a deal with dallas. don't forget the hamhuis lesson of what can happen if you spend too much time and effort trying to squeeze the last dollar out of dallas for an aging top 4 dman at the tdl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad