Around the League - Stanley Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
MacKinnon is dismantling a clearly tired Vegas team. The schedule has been ridiculous, especially for a team flying into the thin air.

Matthews should try rushing from time to time as MacKinnon does and as he did early in the season. At worst, it will create space for others and draw penalties. This guy is just motivated.

It would help if the puck was not on Marner's stick all of the time. Guy is a major liability but plays minutes like he is a star.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well for starters, we can't have guys like Thornton and Simmonds in the lineup if we want to play at that pace.

And then we would need to clone Makar because he is a beast at both ends of the ice. His breakout passes and rushes are majestic.
You won't be the exact same, but you can force quick transition and control like they do. Right now we're too chip and chase and playing slow hockey overall.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Nathan MacKinnon gets paid 6.3 million dollars. That's half of Matthews(almost)

In 44 playoff games, he has 67 points........................ Dude wtf

On top of that, he'll pick a fight with anyone to defend his team

arrgghh when are we gonna get a player who gives a Dman

Reactions: Korg

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It would help if the puck was not on Marner's stick all of the time. Guy is a major liability but plays minutes like he is a star.

The problem with Marner is he relies on an East/West game which just allows the defense to set up and they know he is passing 90% of the time. If he had drove more frequently, he could get into areas that would allow him the option of a high percentage shot and the defense would have to respect that.

His penalty last night was one of many bone headed plays by the team. That was absolutely inexcusable though. Did media even raise the play on their daily love-in?

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Bad goaltending and bad D. Reminds me a bit of the Jo-Sieve headline back when the Sens destroyed us in Game 1 in a similar situation.

Avs should win this series and it could be quick, but the games won't all look like this.

Bad goaltending for sure. That first goal can't go in especially when you're trying to weather the early storm. It was a good backhand by Rantanen, but Lehner was poorly positioned. Maybe it's a different game if that doesn't go in

Fleury back in net for game 2, so we'll see if they fare better

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Bad goaltending for sure. That first goal can't go in especially when you're trying to weather the early storm. It was a good backhand by Rantanen, but Lehner was poorly positioned. Maybe it's a different game if that doesn't go in

Fleury back in net for game 2, so we'll see if they fare better
First Mac goal wasn't good either and he's just looked off all night.

I like Lehner a lot, but he isn't his normal self right now

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MacKinnon is dismantling a clearly tired Vegas team. The schedule has been ridiculous, especially for a team flying into the thin air.

Matthews should try rushing from time to time as MacKinnon does and as he did early in the season. At worst, it will create space for others and draw penalties. This guy is just motivated.
I think that’s the thing with AM. Sometime he would just sit back and wait for Marner and others to create for me and wait for the pass to come and shoot.
His stats might take a hit but I think he is most effective when he is driving the lines and having the puck on his stick like when he had players like Hyman, Brown, AJ and Kap on his line.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
The 2018 "Cinderella" knights will be going through their FIRST rebuild before winning the cup! How very sad.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Avs are such an insanely good team. If your big guys had a fraction of the drive their big guys do, we'd be golden. Mack's second goal is better than the McDavid one our media worships, IMO.

I thought that original hit Graves made could have been more than 2 minutes. What Reaves did was dirty.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Avs are such an insanely good team. If your big guys had a fraction of the drive their big guys do, we'd be golden. Mack's second goal is better than the McDavid one our media worships, IMO.

I thought that original hit Graves made could have been more than 2 minutes. What Reaves did was dirty.

It certainly is frustrating watching stars on other teams lead the way to success when the ones on your team get outshined by old man Spezza.

MacKinnon is absolutely insane. How many players right now could you take over him in a playoff series?

Reactions: Korg and Lemonlimey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
First Mac goal wasn't good either and he's just looked off all night.

I like Lehner a lot, but he isn't his normal self right now

VGK just gets stupid with their goalie utilization. Down the stretch it was MAF one and then Lehner the next and Lehner has been struggling a lot. Then they win a Game 7 and start the cold guy against the Presidents Trophy winner.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nathan MacKinnon gets paid 6.3 million dollars. That's half of Matthews(almost)

In 44 playoff games, he has 67 points........................ Dude wtf

On top of that, he'll pick a fight with anyone to defend his team

arrgghh when are we gonna get a player who gives a Dman

Can't use Mack's contract bc he signed it before McDavid and Eichel. Plus, he was deemed overpaid. People forget that Mack was not worth his RFA contract and the Avs overpaid for him. Heck, he was moved to RW b/c he was struggling at C.
But since ROR and Duchence trade, Mack hit the next few gears and become the best player in the league.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Can't use Mack's contract bc he signed it before McDavid and Eichel. Plus, he was deemed overpaid. People forget that Mack was not worth his RFA contract and the Avs overpaid for him. Heck, he was moved to RW b/c he was struggling at C.
But since ROR and Duchence trade, Mack hit the next few gears and become the best player in the league.

I actually think Mack is better than McDavid. I would choose him over CM.

Makar is OUT OF THIS WORLD it's utterly ABSURD the amount of talent they have, and Mack makes 6.3M!!! It guts me fully to think of that.

They will be a straight up dynasty going forward.

Makar is 22 holy f***

Reactions: jabubenice

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I remember speed being thrown around the Leafs when Keefe took over. But MY GOD this Avs team is fast!

On another tier for sure. Comparably we are a few years away if we even get there.

Colorado will be 2 or more tiers above everyone the next 5 years. They have Byram and Newhook coming...... like WTF the talent

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I actually think Mack is better than McDavid. I would choose him over CM.

Makar is OUT OF THIS WORLD it's utterly ABSURD the amount of talent they have, and Mack makes 6.3M!!! It guts me fully to think of that.

They will be a straight up dynasty going forward.

Makar is 22 holy f***

Yes, yes.
Wait until they actually need to pay them.

Reactions: jabubenice

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Yes, yes.
Wait until they actually need to pay them.

With the best player making 6.3 million it could be an easy sell. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign for way under value.

We had JT making 11 and that really skewed things.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, he will be in line for a major raise.

They have almost 20 mill in cap space but they need to re-sign Landeskog, Makar, Saad, and Grubauer... And that excludes Johnson's 6 mill cap hit. Landeskog, Makar, and Grubauer will realistically take up more than 3/4's of that on their next deals (and that is if Makar gets a bridge).

My guess is that Colorado pays through the nose (possibly Newhook and their 1st this year) for Seattle to take Johnson from them, they bridge Makar, and then they go cheap with the rest of their spots by using Byram, Kaut, Ranta, and bargain bin UFA's. Or they dump a mid-price guy like Compher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad