Post-Game Talk: Around the league: Playoffs IV | Let's Go Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuues!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
All of Holland's initial moves will look good because of the inevitable comparisons to Chia's last couple of years.

Always good to climb a little further up the mountain before lunging into the abysss.

Pretty sure this would make Vancouver's next open position for GM extremely desirable.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
If he does that (and by that - I mean turfs Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, W. Gretzky, K. Gretzky and anyone else not named Joey Moss or Bob Nicholson), then leverages his massive network in the league to attract a smart outsider... they have a shot at turning things around without it resulting in McDavid demanding a trade.

That's a mighty ask, even for someone with the stature and experience of Holland.

Take a look at Oilers upper management. Wayne is Vice-chair of the board (with rumours of minority ownership.), Lowe is also Vice-chair on the business side. MacT is Vice President of Hockey Operations (by definition, on top of Holland). That's like asking a janitor to fire the CEO. He simply doesn't have the power.

Now, he can get rid of underlings like Howson/Sutter/Gretzky. In Keith's case, he was brought on my Chiarelli from Boston, so I think he's ok on merit alone. But firing Wayne's brother while he's having wine with Katz would be a really ballsy move.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
That's a mighty ask, even for someone with the stature and experience of Holland.

Take a look at Oilers upper management. Wayne is Vice-chair of the board (with rumours of minority ownership.), Lowe is also Vice-chair on the business side. MacT is Vice President of Hockey Operations (by definition, on top of Holland). That's like asking a janitor to fire the CEO. He simply doesn't have the power.

Now, he can get rid of underlings like Howson/Sutter/Gretzky. In Keith's case, he was brought on my Chiarelli from Boston, so I think he's ok on merit alone. But firing Wayne's brother while he's having wine with Katz would be a really ballsy move.
I'm with you. I'll believe the alumni is gone when it happens. Holland took a big payday and will most likely try to work around them.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Aside from Wayne, they all report to Nicholson, who needs to keep Holland happy. Look at how the Oilers managed his recruitment - they essentially publicly announced every step so if Holland spurred them and they had to hire Keith G., the hope was the fans would be appeased by "well, at least they tried."

I agree that the most likely outcome is that Holland tries to work around them, likely taking on more of a operational role while the OBC continues to fade into obscurity. But people here are pretty pissed. My company has season tickets and word is that renewals are not going well at all. Our firm has basically said they want all concerts and potential playoff games at the same price they're paying now, or they're not renewing (currently it's only regular season/pre-season).

If that's the consensus position, they'll have to do some public appeasement beyond just hiring another re-tread Cup winning GM.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pretty sure this would make Vancouver's next open position for GM extremely desirable.
Really?...Holland certainly demanded full autonomy before he took the Oilers post (he's earned it)...He does not have to jump through hoops anymore.

I'm not convinced the Canucks ownership would let any GM cede 'total' control.

Reactions: Zippgunn

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Really?...Holland certainly demanded full autonomy before he took the Oilers post (he's earned it)...He does not have to jump through hoops anymore.

I'm not convinced the Canucks ownership would let any GM cede 'total' control.

Benning basically has total control right now and doesn't have to report to any President of Hockey Ops.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning basically has total control right now and doesn't have to report to any President of Hockey Ops.
Does he have total control though?...we dont know that....Isnt this the same ownership that pressured Nonis to trade Edler/Kesler to TBL for Brad Richards?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Does he have total control though?...we dont know that....Isnt this the same ownership that pressured Nonis to trade Edler/Kesler to TBL for Brad Richards?

every GM reports to the owner, and the owner will always give input. Why would you think otherwise? Owning a hockey club is a rich man's toy and the dream of every sports fan, you can bet that every sports owner will influence decisions.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
every GM reports to the owner, and the owner will always give input. Why would you think otherwise? Owning a hockey club is a rich man's toy and the dream of every sports fan, you can bet that every sports owner will influence decisions.

... ours much more so than most apparently...

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

I've seen varying takes on how involved the OBC is involved in hockey decisions. Some have vehemently denied them taking part in hockey decision while it seems Oilers fans accept they're deeply involved in anything important. In regards to W.Gretzky If I recall correctly Friedman mentioned on his podcast at the time of the Chiarelli firing someone had told him he only gives opinion when asked and otherwise tries to stay out of it.

I'll definitely be interested to know if the rumored full autonomy is more of a gag order on the alumni rather than a "I want them out of here" type deal. I guess we'll see if any of them are removed before the announcement is official.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
... ours much more so than most apparently...
For some, it is an extremely rare, limited edition collectible that is proudly displayed on the shelf and never opened or touched; and it simply continues to grow in value because of that.

For others, it is the action figure they enjoy the most and childishly beat the f*** out of. Sure it might be fun to play with (and slightly grotesque as a grown adult) but eventually its going to break.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I've seen varying takes on how involved the OBC is involved in hockey decisions. Some have vehemently denied them taking part in hockey decision while it seems Oilers fans accept they're deeply involved in anything important. In regards to W.Gretzky If I recall correctly Friedman mentioned on his podcast at the time of the Chiarelli firing someone had told him he only gives opinion when asked and otherwise tries to stay out of it.

I'll definitely be interested to know if the rumored full autonomy is more of a gag order on the alumni rather than a "I want them out of here" type deal. I guess we'll see if any of them are removed before the announcement is official.

Maybe there's an actual directive from Nicholson and co. to restrict the influence of the OBC? It's entirely possible.

MacT is actually in charge of the Oilers AHL franchise. I think Holland should deal with that immediately.

The OBC was also directly responsible for hiring Paul Coffey. He spent more time watching his son in Toronto than teaching young Oiler prospects.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I don't think I've ever heard a rink get more excited about a worse anthem singer than Nationwide does about LEOOOOO!!!!!!!

Wouldn't want Holland, so this is fine.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The NHL is a f***ing joke. How is that NOT 5 min. He lined him up and laid the elbow to Andersons head. WTF. f*** this broken ass league.

Reactions: mossey3535

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The NHL is matchfixing. Eakins getting a 5 was a joke and this call solidifies the fact that the league did not want to influence this game by throwing Bostons best dman out of the game.

Bullshit. The NHL is a total joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad