Post-Game Talk: Around the league: Playoffs IV | Let's Go Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuues!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Stars versus Blues isn't even on in HD on Shaw. C'mon, SNet and CBC. Get your act together.

*edit* Okay, maybe that's because it's just a replay. nvm...

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Can't bring myself to care at all about Blues vs Stars.
Certainly want the Bruins out, so go Columbus.
San Jose is the team left that most carries the "old guy who has never won it" factor, but Colorado is fun to watch. So meh?
And Carolina, what the actual crap?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Lololololo! I couldn't be happier with Holland being named the Oilers new GM. Him and Nicholson should dinosaur that franchise real good.

I've completely disagreed with most members on this board to hire Holland. He's been riding the Bowmans and some excellent European scouting for YEARS and what he's done to Detroit for the last decade, is a joke.

Edmonton fans should be concerned but excellent news for us.

Reactions: DL44

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I don't think Holland is a "generational GM" like I've seen a lot of people think and he wasn't my top choice for our franchise, but he sure as hell will be a huge upgrade on the dinosaurs and collection of morons running the joint to date.

Edmonton should at least achieve mediocrity under Holland which will almost be a generational upgrade for them LOL

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I don't think Holland is a "generational GM" like I've seen a lot of people think and he wasn't my top choice for our franchise, but he sure as hell will be a huge upgrade on the dinosaurs and collection of morons running the joint to date.

Edmonton should at least achieve mediocrity under Holland which will almost be a generational upgrade for them LOL

Holland is a dinosaur too with his best days behind him. He’s made some questionable trades and hands out terrible contracts as well. “Huge upgrade” is a hyperbole

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Holland is another OBC guy anyways. Nicholson worked with him for years in Hockey Canada. I think this move was to keep Gretzky, Lowe and MacT in their present positions. Oilers fans are in for another 5 years of mediocrity.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I wasn't sure if Holland was past it or not, but stooping to take the Oilers job is pretty strong proof he's a hack. His legacy as an NHL front office guy will be pretty hilarious if he ends up being the guy who trades McDavid out of edmonton (he will)

Reactions: vancityluongo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Holland won't be able to make a dent for a couple years.
That cap is tied up. I don't see what his welcome-to-Edm-splash move can be... a Poolparty trade?

He'll rightfully be afforded at least a yr... unfortunately at the expense of burning another prime McDavid season. Meanwhile Holland will take heat for being a dinosaur till that happens. Chiarelli shambled that roster and cap nicely.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I wasn't sure if Holland was past it or not, but stooping to take the Oilers job is pretty strong proof he's a hack. His legacy as an NHL front office guy will be pretty hilarious if he ends up being the guy who trades McDavid out of edmonton (he will)
Benning might move up the GM rankings by default if Holland turns out that be that. He'll move up again if another team is suckered into hiring Chiapet as a GM.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The real test for Holland is off-ice more than on-ice (not an Edmonton joke).

Mike Gillis would probably get punched in the face by a media member if he tried to fire Keith Gretzky, let alone Wayne. Holland is a guy who can step in and actually clean house without the Jim Matheson/Steve Simmons types of the media getting obscenely butthurt. "Future HHOFer, needs to bring in his own guys, clean house, time for a change, etc."

If he does that (and by that - I mean turfs Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, W. Gretzky, K. Gretzky and anyone else not named Joey Moss or Bob Nicholson), then leverages his massive network in the league to attract a smart outsider... they have a shot at turning things around without it resulting in McDavid demanding a trade.

FWIW Yzerman originally mentored under Holland. Obviously a smart hockey mind, and the Detroit connection is what made him go to that organization... but Holland is also the guy that found Hakan Andersson, Jim Nill was the best assistant GM in the league for years, etc. I wanted Holland here because he clearly has the ability to find talented people and put them in key roles around him. Whether he does that in Edmonton or even has the ability to do so in Edmonton is the question, but it sounds like he was given the authority to do whatever he wants. It'll be interesting to see what he does.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Holland won't be able to make a dent for a couple years.
That cap is tied up. I don't see what his welcome-to-Edm-splash move can be... a Poolparty trade?

He'll rightfully be afforded at least a yr... unfortunately at the expense of burning another prime McDavid season. Meanwhile Holland will take heat for being a dinosaur till that happens. Chiarelli shambled that roster and cap nicely.

Yeah this seems about right. That Oilers roster is horribly constructed, larded up with bad contracts, and they don’t have a ton of room to maneuver with their cap situation. I’d guess most GMs, even Steve Yzerman or whoever, would find it daunting to turn the team around quickly.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Holland is a dinosaur too with his best days behind him. He’s made some questionable trades and hands out terrible contracts as well. “Huge upgrade” is a hyperbole
Contracts, a couple of not so great ones trying to remain competitive. Once the decision to rebuild was committed to his moves have been very good. Got assets for Tatar and Nyquivst. And some contracts coming off the books. Yes Abs and Neilson are not great and Dekeyser is overpaid but it’s not that horrible compared to a Lucic or Eriksson.

But I don’t envy what he needs to do in Edmonton over the next 2 years. Hard to move out salary. Plenty of teams need to do that as well. Question for Holland is how long McDavid is willing to wait for results.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Holland gets the Oilers job, Therrien and Mike Yeo get assistant coaching jobs in Philly. Teams reaching deep into the recycling bin these days, as usual.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i have to laugh at how desperate the oilers obc were to get off the hot seat to pay $5 million a year to get a guy with enough credibility to fire/sideline them all.

now to see what holland thinks the solution will be.

i wonder if he somehow signs nyquist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad