Around the League - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Some pretty boring first round matchups. The Blues-Hawks one should be good though. Kings-Sharks could be interesting as well. Hoping both the Blues and Sharks can advance, would make the playoffs much more exciting.

lmao

So you're hoping the two best teams get beat to make the playoffs "more exciting"

jebus The Hawks especially are the most exciting and entertaining club in the league.

My own version is playoffs become classics when most of the best teams advance.

For instance last season when a club like Calgary advances it screws up not just one round of playoffs, but two.

I prefer to see the best hockey played by the best teams. SJ. STL, is never that in the playoffs.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
lmao

So you're hoping the two best teams get beat to make the playoffs "more exciting"

jebus The Hawks especially are the most exciting and entertaining club in the league.

My own version is playoffs become classics when most of the best teams advance.

For instance last season when a club like Calgary advances it screws up not just one round of playoffs, but two.

I prefer to see the best hockey played by the best teams. SJ. STL, is never that in the playoffs.

If Blues and Sharks win aren't they the better teams? Did you stop to think about that?

And sorry for being tired of seeing the same two teams hoist the Cup every year. Seeing something different, like a Blues-Sharks WCF, would be exciting. Sue me.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Atlantic Division
(1) Florida vs (WC1) NY Islanders
(2) Tampa Bay vs (3) Detroit

Metropolitan Division
(1) Washington vs (WC2) Philadelphia
(2) Pittsburgh vs (3) NY Rangers

Central Division
(1) Dallas vs (WC2) Minnesota
(2) St. Louis vs (3) Chicago

Pacific Division
(1) Anaheim vs (WC1) Nashville
(2) Los Angeles vs (3) San Jose

Full schedule and TV: https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs/2016/

Florida in 4.
Tampa in 5.
Wash in 5.
Pitts in 7.

Dallas in 6.
St. Louis in 7.
Ana in 6.
SJ in 7.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If Blues and Sharks win aren't they the better teams? Did you stop to think about that?

And sorry for being tired of seeing the same two teams hoist the Cup every year. Seeing something different, like a Blues-Sharks WCF, would be exciting. Sue me.

Do I really have to explain this?:laugh:

If Blues should somehow manage to beat the dynastic Hawks this season after losing several times to them, no, it does not mean the Blues are the better team, it would mean they caught a Hawks team that has played around 80 more playoff games over the last 5 seasons and is probably more fatigued.

Similarly SJ, if they were to finally knock off the multiple time SC Champ Kings does not equate to SJ being a better team than LA. Note that the Sharks, after losing to the Kings multiple times, and how they lsot last time, would have differential motivation to finally beat the Kings one time.

Think about it before getting back to me and for instance that the Flames beating the Oilers finally in 86 had nothing to do with being a "better team" they simply managed to beat the Oilers one time in playoff history. That's all it means.

Nobody would be as pedantic to suggest that the Flames were actually the better club. lol

hope this is clear

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

If Blues should somehow manage to beat the dynastic Hawks this season after losing several times to them, no, it does not mean the Blues are the better team, it would mean they caught a Hawks team that has played around 80 more playoff games over the last 5 seasons and is probably more fatigued.

Similarly SJ, if they were to finally knock off the multiple time SC Champ Kings does not equate to SJ being a better team than LA. Note that the Sharks, after losing to the Kings multiple times, and how they lsot last time, would have differential motivation to finally beat the Kings one time.

Think about it before getting back to me and for instance that the Flames beating the Oilers finally in 86 had nothing to do with being a "better team" they simply managed to beat the Oilers one time in playoff history. That's all it means.

Nobody would be as pedantic to suggest that the Flames were actually the better club. lol

hope this is clear

Just going to toss my 2 cents in here.

If SJ and Blues win thier series it most certainly means they are the better team this year in this playoffs. A seven game series leaves little "luck" on the table. Also LA is as rested as possible after missing last year and Chicago can not use fatigue in the first round no matter how many deep runs they went on in previous years. That excuse is only valid IMO from conference finals on.

If you are talking who is the best team over the last 5 years, sure, Chi and LA are obviously better. Sorry if that was your intent. Didn't bother to read the previous posts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just going to toss my 2 cents in here.

If SJ and Blues win thier series it most certainly means they are the better team this year in this playoffs. A seven game series leaves little "luck" on the table. Also LA is as rested as possible after missing last year and Chicago can not use fatigue in the first round no matter how many deep runs they went on in previous years. That excuse is only valid IMO from conference finals on.

If you are talking who is the best team over the last 5 years, sure, Chi and LA are obviously better. Sorry if that was your intent. Didn't bother to read the previous posts.

word

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

hope this is clear

What does that have to do with anything? If Blues and Sharks win their series they deserve to go through, no?

And the history you're talking about is exactly why it would be fun and exciting to see those teams pull upsets. Isn't that what sports are all about? Seeing an underdog defying the odds and having success. That's what makes great sport stories and everlasting memories. It's why the "Miracle on ice" was/is such a huge thing. And to be clear, I'm not directly comparing these playoff series to the Miracle on ice, but the same logic applies albeit on a much smaller scale.

How much excitement is there if the same teams win every year? In European football, seeing Leicester likely winning the EPL is a great, great story. Here is this team whose whole roster is probably worth only 1 player on City or Chelsea and they're having tremendous success. A big part of that success is Jamie Vardy who worked a normal, boring day job and played in one of the lower divisions in english football just a few years ago and now he's one of the best goalscorers in the Premier League. How is that not more exciting than having Chelsea or United being dominant?

Similarly in the NHL, seeing Thornton hoisting the Cup would make for a great storyline, or having Blues finally get over the hump and go on a deep run would both make for better stories than Kings/Hawks winning again.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What does that have to do with anything? If Blues and Sharks win their series they deserve to go through, no?

And the history you're talking about is exactly why it would be fun and exciting to see those teams pull upsets. Isn't that what sports are all about? Seeing an underdog defying the odds and having success. That's what makes great sport stories and everlasting memories. It's why the "Miracle on ice" was/is such a huge thing. And to be clear, I'm not directly comparing these playoff series to the Miracle on ice, but the same logic applies albeit on a much smaller scale.

How much excitement is there if the same teams win every year? In European football, seeing Leicester likely winning the EPL is a great, great story. Here is this team whose whole roster is probably worth only 1 player on City or Chelsea and they're having tremendous success. A big part of that success is Jamie Vardy who worked a normal, boring day job and played in one of the lower divisions in english football just a few years ago and now he's one of the best goalscorers in the Premier League. How is that not more exciting than having Chelsea or United being dominant?

Similarly in the NHL, seeing Thornton hoisting the Cup would make for a great storyline, or having Blues finally get over the hump and go on a deep run would both make for better stories than Kings/Hawks winning again.

I hear what your saying. part of the issue for me though is the contrivance the NHL engages in to produce these rivalries. Essentially they have teams play an 82 game season just so that the probability of two teams within a 30 team league playing each other in first round approximates 50%. Think about how bogus that is. Play a complete season and for what? Basically determining who gets the one extra home game.

That's what I can't stand, that we seemingly get the SAME matchups year after year which is unfair to any of those teams involved.

A simple 1 vs 16 format in interlocking playoff play was vastly superior format and allowed winners to advance in what was a fairer format. i.e. not contrived through divisional and conference nonsense and 2nd place vs 3rd place every year in first round.

But my honest view. I tend not to like upsets unless its the upstart Oilers or a team I like involved in them. Otherwise they just seem to weaken the remaining playoffs. This is an odd opinion to have but I'll also state 2006 was the weakest playoffs and SC final between two clubs that otherwise wouldn't be there that we've seen since say Calgary vs Tampa. The SC finals before and after the lockout year were extremely weak if you were not a fan of those clubs. I tend to be disappointed when great teams are not in the final.

DHHJ

Dec 11, 2014
Justin Schultz

Does anyone know who the agent is for Justin Schultz? Thanks for any help!

DHHJ

Dec 11, 2014
Sorry, but who is his agent? I know that Newport has him but who in Newport?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Sorry, but who is his agent? I know that Newport has him but who in Newport?

Donald Meehan has been named as his agent in the past, representing Newport, but with an agency like that I don't know if it's ever really one person.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Predictions:
RD1: Blues, Stars, Kings, Ducks, Caps, Pitt, Florida, Tampa
RD 2: Blues, Kings, Pens, Florida
RD 3: Blues, Pitt
SCF: Blues

Book it boys. Blues wininning the cup (just my gut feeling)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The league needs to do something about these coaches challenges for offside goals. They need to widen the blue line and re-write the rule a little bit.

Red Wings/Lightning game, yet another goal called off on a nice passing rush because a players skate is an inch ahead of the blue line before the puck.

Lightning scored like 40 seconds later so it might not have mattered tonight. But maybe it will.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
wow what a surprise....Blackhawks getting a 5-3 in the first period of the first game....

bring it on Bettman and your love of the Chicago boyz

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Schultz plays first nhl playoff game. 5-6 minutes of game time. Injured or on a short leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad