GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part VI

What is the SCF matchup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd say the Bruins now have all the momentum heading home, but the NHL is treating us to one last 3 day break, so who the hell knows. Weird series with little flow, and almost never both teams playing well at the same time. The awful scheduling likely to blame.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd say the Bruins now have all the momentum heading home, but the NHL is treating us to one last 3 day break, so who the hell knows. Weird series with little flow, and almost never both teams playing well at the same time. The awful scheduling likely to blame.

In fairness to Bettman, the NBA does the same thing.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Who is up for the Conn Smythe? Rask is obvious for the Bruins, not sure about the Blues though? Bennington? Jaden Schwartz? Think they might give it to Bennington even though his stats haven't been that great in the playoffs.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who is up for the Conn Smythe? Rask is obvious for the Bruins, not sure about the Blues though? Bennington? Jaden Schwartz? Think they might give it to Bennington even though his stats haven't been that great in the playoffs.

I’d say ROR for the Blues and Rask for the Blues.

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Budweiser, no wonder why the fan threw it away
haha perfect.

Wouldn't catch me dead with a Budweiser. What stinking horsemanurebeer. How could anybody choose that?

Budweiser; Barley malt, fermented rotten rice, cat piss, and dead horse. Brew until the circling flies drop dead in the brew and then strain and bottle it.

First and only time I drank a bud I thought it was a freaking joke. This is Americas beer?

Anyway the fail beer is symbolic of the fail game here by the Blues.

Lots of looking around after this one.

David Perron cannot be your best player in big games 5 and 6, that can't happen, and yet that was the case. Perron was very clearly dialed right in, again, and had himself a nice game competitive in all areas and very intense. Not one other Blue was ready to play this game. Not one other Blue was even close.

You don't beat a SC champion club with this kind of effort and performance. This was a classic choke job, not taking anything from the Bruins who were very good but the Blues were as bad as the beer.

What a bitter taste. ;)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Try to think of a worse home performance by any club in a seven game series SC final. How are the Blues even in this. They have been absolute crap at home. Get Slaughtered in game 3 and then again tonight with the cup on the line. Out of 3 finals home games the Blues only played one good game. If they lose, and this seems more likely now, its absolutely that to blame. How can you not be jacked to play in a SC final on home ice. Somebody get some defibrillators.

This memo just in. You don't win a cup in a deciding game without heros stepping up and having big games. You never do. Did the Blues think this was going to be easy. That the Bruins would lay down?

You get this chance once in your life. If you're a STL Blue it'll never come again. Lose in Boston in game 7 and they can all blame themselves forever.

Lose a SC final in which you were up 3-2 and the pain of that will always be with you.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
In fairness to Bettman, the NBA does the same thing.

Yeah, they started this same nonsense recently as well. Perhaps not a coincidence that there has been only one good final in the last several in that league as well. I just don't understand what these leagues are hoping to accomplish by dragging out the final series for three weeks. When the puck drops for Game 7, it will have been 28 days since the Bruins eliminated Carolina. Seven games played in an entire month. It's little wonder Stanley Cup Finals games are often some of the worst played games of the entire season. Tough to get any rhythm going when you're just sitting around waiting to play.

Reactions: TB12

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Try to think of a worse home performance by any club in a seven game series SC final. How are the Blues even in this. They have been absolute crap at home. Get Slaughtered in game 3 and then again tonight with the cup on the line. Out of 3 finals home games the Blues only played one good game. If they lose, and this seems more likely now, its absolutely that to blame. How can you not be jacked to play in a SC final on home ice. Somebody get some defibrillators.

This memo just in. You don't win a cup in a deciding game without heros stepping up and having big games. You never do. Did the Blues think this was going to be easy. That the Bruins would lay down?

You get this chance once in your life. If you're a STL Blue it'll never come again. Lose in Boston in game 7 and they can all blame themselves forever.

Lose a SC final in which you were up 3-2 and the pain of that will always be with you.

The Blues were the better team for 45 of 60 minutes tonight. To say they couldn't get up for this game or just thought Boston was going to lay down is a ridiculous statement. If ROR scores on that shorthanded breakaway in the first period instead of missing it and then putting them down 2 men with a brutal puck over the glass move, they're parading around with the Cup right now. They'll lament this missed chance, and they should, but it's not like Boston has looked so hot in this series themselves.

I don't think anyone has ever lost Game 6 at home and gone on to win Game 7 on the road in the final...but it's gonna happen eventually. This oddball series seems like the perfect candidate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Blues were the better team for 45 of 60 minutes tonight. To say they couldn't get up for this game or just thought Boston was going to lay down is a ridiculous statement. If ROR scores on that shorthanded breakaway in the first period instead of missing it and then putting them down 2 men with a brutal puck over the glass move, they're parading around with the Cup right now. They'll lament this missed chance, and they should, but it's not like Boston has looked so hot in this series themselves.

I don't think anyone has ever lost Game 6 at home and gone on to win Game 7 on the road in the final...but it's gonna happen eventually. This oddball series seems like the perfect candidate.
I singled out ROR in earlier posts and other than his goal (which he dusted off for ages) I thought he was junk. So was Tarasenko, Schenn, Binnington, Steen. Schwartz for his part hasn't scored in the entire series after being their hot scorer in earlier rounds. Blues are getting non spectacular performances from their go to players in some of the games and they were taking shots right at Rask all night. Whereas the BRuins were sniping goals the Blues were shooting with no confidence. if this is infecting your go to players you lose.

Fact of the matter is the Blues had a chance to win a SC on home ice for a 50yr old franchise that never had this, and they flat out blew it, and worse, were practically shutout except for the late, and by that time completely meaningless goal. These are the games that define careers after all is said and done. Like I said if the Blues lose this series a lot of questions will be asked of these players forever.

What happened to Steen, Thomas, Maroon, Bozak, Sundqvist. The Bruins supporting cast has been flat out better. Bruins getting goals from the ranks. Blues suddenly look paper thin again as virtually none of their players are having confidence with the puck.

Finally, is Edmonsson injured? The Blues D lineup looked to have some holes last night. Lots of falling asleep moments without one more vet D in there. How do the Blues not insert say Del Zotto, or Fabrri, who are both waiting and ready when Barbashev was suspended and Thomas and others playing injured? The Blues really lacked their typical bite on home ice in this series.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I singled out ROR in earlier posts and other than his goal (which he dusted off for ages) I thought he was junk. So was Tarasenko, Schenn, Binnington, Steen. Schwartz for his part hasn't scored in the entire series after being their hot scorer in earlier rounds. Blues are getting non spectacular performances from their go to players in some of the games and they were taking shots right at Rask all night. Whereas the BRuins were sniping goals the Blues were shooting with no confidence. if this is infecting your go to players you lose.

Fact of the matter is the Blues had a chance to win a SC on home ice for a 50yr old franchise that never had this, and they flat out blew it, and worse, were practically shutout except for the late, and by that time completely meaningless goal. These are the games that define careers after all is said and done. Like I said if the Blues lose this series a lot of questions will be asked of these players forever.

What happened to Steen, Thomas, Maroon, Bozak, Sundqvist. The Bruins supporting cast has been flat out better. Bruins getting goals from the ranks. Blues suddenly look paper thin again as virtually none of their players are having confidence with the puck.

Finally, is Edmonsson injured? The Blues D lineup looked to have some holes last night. Lots of falling asleep moments without one more vet D in there. How do the Blues not insert say Del Zotto, or Fabrri, who are both waiting and ready when Barbashev was suspended and Thomas and others playing injured? The Blues really lacked their typical bite on home ice in this series.

There's two teams on the ice out there, and both want to win. Players don't pick and choose when they're going to be snake-bitten and whether or not the puck is going to bounce favorably for them as it's rolling down the opposing goaltenders back on its way into the net. I don't think anybody would try to claim Boston had outplayed St. Louis through two periods last night, but the Bruins cashed in their 5-on-3 while the Blues hadn't solved Rask despite several close calls.

I just don't see this as a case of the Blues not showing up in a big moment, not showing heart, etc. Boston was on their back foot for the majority of this game but Rask significantly outplayed Binnington. Not a whole lot more to it than that. Switch the 'tenders last night and the result is almost certainly the opposite. If I'm in that Blues dressing room, I'm reminding myself that Binnington hasn't had two bad games in a row in this series, nor has Rask had two good ones in a row. If the pattern holds, the Blues have the upper hand.

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad