Around the League Part 9: The Post-Tavareslyptic Hellscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I really just don't think they wanted to hitch their wagon to those guys for those prices and especially term. I'm sure we'll see plenty of money shelled out to Aho and probably TT at a minimum.

And while they aren't unreasonable, I can see not wanting to pony up for Lindholm and his inconsistencies at that point in his development. And Hanifin has done nothing to deserve that contract at this point. It may turn out to be a good bet, but it's certainly a gamble based on what he's shown at this point. I think a bridge would have been better, but I guess you always run the risk of a Subban situation.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Hanifin's and Lindholm's contracts aren't so unreasonable as to force them to be traded. I liked the trade at the time but I'm worried about how cheap our ownership seems to be.

As was said, I don't think this had anywhere near as much to do with the contract size as it did with a) getting the guy(s) we wanted and b) changing up the locker room make up.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I look at it like this: instead of paying that money to hanifin the canes will give it to Hamilton plus a little extra. Hamilton already is the player hanifin hopes to become- is the difference in their play worth ~.75 million dollars? I'd say so. Even if they keep Hamilton around for way less time.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I look at it like this: instead of paying that money to hanifin the canes will give it to Hamilton plus a little extra. Hamilton already is the player hanifin hopes to become- is the difference in their play worth ~.75 million dollars? I'd say so. Even if they keep Hamilton around for way less time.
My thoughts exactly. Those two contracts are reasonable, but they aren't worth that money in a canes uniform. I'd rather put that money on Hamilton and try to see how Ferland does then give him a raise.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I do hope Ferland works out, but if Hamilton plays like he has the past few years and if we can sign Fox, I'm less concerned about whether we can resign him or not. That's not to say I don't want to re-up him if he has a good season....I'm just saying I'm happy if Hamilton and Fox end up in our sweater.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I really just don't think they wanted to hitch their wagon to those guys for those prices and especially term. I'm sure we'll see plenty of money shelled out to Aho and probably TT at a minimum.

And while they aren't unreasonable, I can see not wanting to pony up for Lindholm and his inconsistencies at that point in his development. And Hanifin has done nothing to deserve that contract at this point. It may turn out to be a good bet, but it's certainly a gamble based on what he's shown at this point. I think a bridge would have been better, but I guess you always run the risk of a Subban situation.

I think Hanifin is more than I'd want to pay, but it's in at least in the ballpark. Lindholm's contract, however, was pretty significantly more than I think he's worth. Lindholm is not gonna develop significantly at this point. He is what he is- a mediocre secondary scoring option without the emotional drive to take control of play and without much to recommend him in other aspects of the game. He has offensive skill, and that's very clear- in bursts. But he's never had the fire he needs to actually turn that skill into consistent results, and he's never played a physically intimidating game or had a defensive game that's been anything better than average.

Hanifin does have the fire and the physical tools to be an elite player, he just needs the hockey sense. Will that come? Maybe. That contract is a gamble for sure. But worse gambles have been made.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

Which is true for right now. My worry is in 3 years time. What's the salary difference going to be then, or will Hamilton even be here. I can't disregard that.

Reactions: Unsustainable

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Which is true for right now. My worry is in 3 years time. What's the salary difference going to be then, or will Hamilton even be here. I can't disregard that.

That's true but there's no guarantee that hanifin ever becomes any more than he is now. I'm not in the room with any of these guys but they must have been ok with the risk of Hamilton moving on in 3 years against the risk of hanifin developing beyond a sheltered #4 in that time frame

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I take it a step further: as I said in another thread it’s a reasonable contract for Hanifins potential. But in terms of current value I see 5 contracts on the canes blue line I like better for the next season (and 19–20). Hanifin is signed longer term than most but is also less proven than any of those 5.

That is less about Hanifin’s market value and more about the Canes surplus on the blue line.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Sounds a lot like the Jon Jones situation where he took tainted ***** pills.

Nah, Jones has never done anything wrong. Just has really bad luck :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, I love that a guy whose nickname is “Bones” used the dick pills excuse. Can’t help but hate the guy - he remains super preachy despite being a total pos.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, that’s a weird guy to pick on.

Has less to do with how average Saad is and more to do with the Panarin that Chicago gave up to get the band back together (which failed miserably).

More interesting that the only two players listed are two guys whose careers have been severely overrated due to their ties to a dynasty Blackhawks team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad