Around the League Part 9: The Post-Tavareslyptic Hellscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

$5.25 million x 6 years. Same deal as Slavin but one less year. I like Skjei but this just makes Slavin/Pesce’s deals all that much better

Wonder if Hayes’ deal will get done with his hearing coming up. I have come to really like the idea of Faulk for Hayes, by trying to extrapolate snippets from that “War Room” article from The Athletic a month ago. Specifically, the part about a rebuilding team in the East with lots of RFAs to sign/add to potential deals,being interested in Faulk. A 6’5” forward who can play C or LW,put up 25g last year, kill penalties and win face offs would be a great addition to our top 9, especially if Skinner’s 25-30g are going out the door before October.

But..Faulk to NYR doesn’t really make sense for them, so what do I know.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Meanwhile, TD...
enhanced-buzz-12294-1383687124-10.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think he’s going to have to really bomb this year to not get paid. Even if his numbers drop people will blame that on the Canes not the player. Someone will assume when he plays with the better talent they have he’ll put up better numbers.

And we need to sign him to make that trade good for us.
Fox is far more important in that trade to me, need to get him under contract for this to be a good deal. That said, I could easily see Ferland getting 4 per on the open market even if he drops off in production this year. He already has a season where he's shown he can pot 15 as a 3rd/4th liner and a season where he put up 21 riding shotgun to Johnny Hockey.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
How did they let Trotz walk? He chose to leave because he didn’t like the terms of his contract, no?
If they gave him their best possible deal and after further negotiations and he still decided to walk, then that’s on Trotz. Otherwise what was really keeping them from resigning him unless Trotz just wanted a new challenge?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If they gave him their best possible deal and after further negotiations and he still decided to walk, then that’s on Trotz. Otherwise what was really keeping them from resigning him unless Trotz just wanted a new challenge?

What negotiations, exactly? I thought winning the cup activated a clause in his contract and he chose to walk away and sign elsewhere for more. Maybe I’m uninformed.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
What negotiations, exactly? I thought winning the cup activated a clause in his contract and he chose to walk away and sign elsewhere for more. Maybe I’m uninformed.

I might be uninformed as well, didn’t follow their stuff to deep, but damn if you don’t try everything to resign him after what he did for the club.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think he’s going to have to really bomb this year to not get paid. Even if his numbers drop people will blame that on the Canes not the player. Someone will assume when he plays with the better talent they have he’ll put up better numbers.

And we need to sign him to make that trade good for us.
Why are we ignoring that Hamilton is already the d-man we wished Hanifin would be? I don't think it's a given Hanifin ever turns the corner. In fact he regressed hard last year after the All-Star game which he didn't really deserve to go to if we're being honest.

As long as Hanifin keeps derping all over the defensive zone, especially as a guy who apparently thinks he should be paid like a top pairing guy, Ferland leaving in UFA doesn't exactly automatically make us lose the trade. Not to mention, we could sign Fox and he can potentially put up 30ish points while derping all over the ice in the defensive zone even while also being sheltered and being given a lot of offensive zone starts and PP time. And if Ferland is truly a 20 goal power forward, we have more than enough cap space to overpay him if we want/have to.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

He had an option to extend his contract for two years with a cup win with a raise from $1.5 to $1.8 m. He wanted much more and a longer term extension, and the Caps held on principle that they had agreed already that the reward for a cup would be a small raise and two more years. He wanted a big raise and 5 more years. The Caps pouted and refused to negotiate and Trotz got exactly the contract he wanted from the Isles ($4m, 5 years). He gave the Caps the chance to play ball, but they f'ed it up.

And then paid the extra 2 mil Trotz wanted to Wilson, apparently.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We ARE going to have to give Ferland something like that. 20 goals scorer who plays physical in his prime? That’s why Calgary traded him. They don’t want to be the team on the hook playing him 5 million plus. That’s the cost of the trade we made.

I find it highly unlikely Ferland is taking less than 4.5, and way more likely he’ll be 5.5-6.0. We’ll be lucky to get him at 5.

Not sure I see it quite the same way bleed. Ferland's not a center, he's a wing. Comps are guys like Tanner Pearson and to a lesser extent Brock Nelson. That's a $3.75 million to $4.25 million. Pearson's a pretty physical player with one 20 goal season under his belt. Frankly if Ferland plays the physical game pots 15-20 goals and puts up 35-45 points, then I'd pay him closer to the top end of that scale. But it wouldn't break my heart if we stood pat at less than $4 million. That mid $4 million figure is what solid 2-way, 40 point centers seem to get. Not sure I'd go there for a wing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t see if he’s remotely good for us that we can let him walk after trading what we did to get him, when he’s clearly the “change of culture” guy in the trade.

Lindy and Hanifin for Hamilton is overpayment from us. Ferland is the player they wanted rid of the least, and Fox is a legit prospect.

I would fall over if we got Ferland signed for 4 million. I think if he was going to sign for that he’d be wearing a Flames Jersey this year. They’ve said they were trading him due to his ufa status and 4 million wouldn’t have hurt them. Anything we can easily do, so could they. Obviously a year away from ufa they talked to his agent to see the price they wanted, and promptly traded him to us.

The cap has gone up. Average salaries are getting a bump. His first remotely comparable player just got paid. I’ll stand with my original predications on what he wants. Maybe we don’t give it to him, but someone is.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
His first comparable player just got paid, but if the man puts up 15 goals next year (I’d be happy with that) he’s not getting what Wilson got. It took winning a cup to get Wilson that payday, and everyone already agrees it’s overpayment. I doubt he’s somehow getting more than $5mil per year if he puts up 15 goals next season.
And that’s what I said. He could go anywhere in the 4.5-6.0 range. I think he’s going to want 5.5-6 if he produces. I think we’ll be lucky to get him to re sign for us at 5 if he does well. If he bombs he will still likely get 4 or more. He wasn’t bombing for them, they didn’t want to pay five or more for the term I’m sure he wants.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
His first comparable player just got paid, but if the man puts up 15 goals next year (I’d be happy with that) he’s not getting what Wilson got. It took winning a cup to get Wilson that payday, and everyone already agrees it’s overpayment. I doubt he’s somehow getting more than $5mil per year if he puts up 15 goals next season.

With us missing the playoffs again we should be able to lock Ferland up at a nice price.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Lindy and Hanifin for Hamilton is overpayment from us. Ferland is the player they wanted rid of the least, and Fox is a legit prospect.

nitpicking, but I'm not sure that's precisely accurate. The canes and flames tried to work a deal around lindy and ferland in the weeks before the draft. hamilton wasnt available. I read, but couldn't find the source later, that they were trying to move hamonic or brodie for a 1st rounder. when that didn't happen, hamilton was made available and the deal moved quickly thereafter.

i agree with your point. ferland riding shotgun to johnny hockey scored what a 22 lindy gets in his sleep, and ferland is certain to have a larger cap hit after 2019.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So according to the Business board, the Montreal Canadiens are actively blocking a return of the Quebec Nordique.

Call me petty but if this true, well done Montreal.
Is Montreal still owned by the Molson people? If so they did this once before and it led to angry fans in Edmonton, Winnipeg and QC shooting up their local Molson breweries so this probably is something they wish never got out to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad