Around the League Part 9: The Post-Tavareslyptic Hellscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think Wilson is underrated as a player even when he plays like a complete shithead a lot of the time but there's no way in hell he's even close to being worth that especially at that term. Just wow. Awful, awful contract.

Apparently this now means we're going to have to give Michael Ferland the Alexander Semin contract or something like that according to a Calgary fan on the main boards. :laugh:

Last edited:

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
As others are alluding to when they mention Ferland, WSH isn’t just shooting themselves, a contract like this has the effect of causing everyone else’s contract to increase. Anyone who scores 40 points can now claim to be worth $5M.
Same thing is happening to my our forwards now with the Rask contract. Thankfully Slavin and Pesce signed a friendly deal, so our D can at least be cost controlled.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
...and yet Washington’s GM gets an A+ rating by NHL Radios Boomer Gordan even with the GM letting Trotz walk and before this signing was announced. Whereas Don Waddell gets a D while we got stronger in almost every category except Goaltending

How did they let Trotz walk? He chose to leave because he didn’t like the terms of his contract, no?

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Tom Wilson had his best season last year with 60% OZ starts playing with Washington's best players. He also shot over 11% compared to his career ~7%. He had decent shot attempt numbers but hot damn this is a terrible contract for someone who's about 5% more valuable than Brock McGinn.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Capitals Re-sign Tom Wilson

Six years, $5.17 million per year.

I feel like that’s a bit high.

Holy ****

The $ amount is horrible. The term is worse.

This is one of those egregious contracts that teams/agents know they have to discount in negotiations. Nobody, and I mean nobody, thinks this is a contract reflective of his value, overall or otherwise.

14 goals, 35 points, playing wing. I'd argue this contract is at least $2 million too much. I don't care about the term and actually don't have a problem with it. It's the fact that they are paying so much annually.

This contract screams of "#1 reason owners will get their lockout". Can you say compliance buyout?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Tom Wilson had his best season last year with 60% OZ starts playing with Washington's best players. He also shot over 11% compared to his career ~7%. He had decent shot attempt numbers but hot damn this is a terrible contract for someone who's about 5% more valuable than Brock McGinn.
Is he even more valuable then Brock McGinn? I'm serious about that. I legitimately have more faith in McGinn to ever be a 40+ point player in the NHL than I would Wilson. I mean he was playing on a line with f***ing Ovechkin all season and couldn't even get to 40 points. Even adding in the intangibles of Wilson literally trying to kill just about anyone on the other teams this is truly god awful and instantly the worst contract in the league. Yes, worse then Lucic's contract, by a f***ing mile.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is he even more valuable then Brock McGinn? I'm serious about that. I legitimately have more faith in McGinn to ever be a 40+ point player in the NHL than I would Wilson. I mean he was playing on a line with ****ing Ovechkin all season and couldn't even get to 40 points. Even adding in the intangibles of Wilson literally trying to kill just about anyone on the other teams this is truly god awful and instantly the worst contract in the league. Yes, worse then Lucic's contract, by a ****ing mile.

The only thing I can think is that Washington is essentially paying Wilson a bounty to continue to try and kill other team's star players. That is the one thing he's better at than any other player in the game- getting away with absolutely disgusting attempts to injure.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Is he even more valuable then Brock McGinn? I'm serious about that. I legitimately have more faith in McGinn to ever be a 40+ point player in the NHL than I would Wilson. I mean he was playing on a line with ****ing Ovechkin all season and couldn't even get to 40 points. Even adding in the intangibles of Wilson literally trying to kill just about anyone on the other teams this is truly god awful and instantly the worst contract in the league. Yes, worse then Lucic's contract, by a ****ing mile.
I know you hate the way Wilson plays but come on, Dave. He’s a damn good player and while it may be a million too high and a couple years too long, goddamn if every team doesn’t need a player like him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I know you hate the way Wilson plays but come on, Dave. He’s a damn good player and while it may be a million too high and a couple years too long, goddamn if every team doesn’t need a player like him.
It's at least a couple million too high, not just a million, and I'd agree that every team needs a player that can try to make an impact on the game physically within the rules of the game. Problem I have with Wilson though is his general approach is "f*** the rules of the game". He makes so many illegal hits whether through deliberately hitting players from behind, deliberate charging, targeting the head, or leaving his feet to jump in to a hit it honestly amazes me that he hasn't been given the Cooke or Torres treatment by the league yet. Frankly the guy is as bad or worse then Steve Downie was, and Downie was definitely a better player, yet he hasn't been given the same treatment in terms of lengthy suspensions and zero benefit of the doubt on any borderline hit by the league.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Wilson is underrated as a player even when he plays like a complete ****head a lot of the time but there's no way in hell he's even close to being worth that especially at that term. Just wow. Awful, awful contract.

Apparently this now means we're going to have to give Michael Ferland the Alexander Semin contract or something like that according to a Calgary fan on the main boards. :laugh:
We ARE going to have to give Ferland something like that. 20 goals scorer who plays physical in his prime? That’s why Calgary traded him. They don’t want to be the team on the hook playing him 5 million plus. That’s the cost of the trade we made.

I find it highly unlikely Ferland is taking less than 4.5, and way more likely he’ll be 5.5-6.0. We’ll be lucky to get him at 5.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We ARE going to have to give Ferland something like that. 20 goals scorer who plays physical in his prime? That’s why Calgary traded him. They don’t want to be the team on the hook playing him 5 million plus. That’s the cost of the trade we made.

I find it highly unlikely Ferland is taking less than 4.5, and way more likely he’ll be 5.5-6.0. We’ll be lucky to get him at 5.
Eh we'll at least have a season for Ferland to show whether or not he can do so when he's not on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau. If he can show that he can be a 40-45+ point and 20+ goal type player when he's not playing on a top line and he can maintain the physical play then 100% pay the man his money.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well that’s going to happen across the board. The cap was raised so agents now argue for higher average salaries. We’re seeing it everywhere, guys are getting at least 500k-1m more than you’d expect.

I agree we were lucky to have Slavin and Pesce where we had them WHEN we had them. We’d be paying them a lot more this year. We can’t really brag about those deals compared to this year. Different landscape already.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Eh we'll at least have a season for Ferland to show whether or not he can do so when he's not on a line with Monahan and Gaudreau. If he can show that he can be a 40-45+ point and 20+ goal type player when he's not playing on a top line and he can maintain the physical play then 100% pay the man his money.
I think he’s going to have to really bomb this year to not get paid. Even if his numbers drop people will blame that on the Canes not the player. Someone will assume when he plays with the better talent they have he’ll put up better numbers.

And we need to sign him to make that trade good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad