Around The League Part 6: The Unrestricted Free Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Since you asked, I think the Canes are a weaker team if it's simply a Duchene-Faulk swap. I think it must return a top-4 RHD, and I haven't heard anyone answer to that concern.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Which is why something like Duchene+Barrie for Lindholm+Faulk might be in the vicinity.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Hypothetically, the Canes could sign a free agent in the offseason to help fill the void on the blueline. Perhaps Shattenkirk is out of Carolina’s league, but Stone is set to hit the market in July. If handedness is not a huge issue, there’s also the likes of Kulikov, Oduya, Daley, etc.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/caphit/all/defense/ufa

I’m not advocating for trading Faulk, though. What he did in Oct.-Dec. last year was probably a fluke, but I don’t think his start to this season is indicative of what his mean is offensively. When he starts scoring again, I think we’ll be reminded of how impactful he can be. The trade talk will die down at that point.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't know.....the question to me was always not *if* Justin was tradeable, but *when* he would become tradeable, ie. when the young guys had developed to the point that losing Faulk could be more easily absorbed. I can't say for certain we're at that point yet, but it's getting there.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Can't trade Faulk, we already have Hainsey in the top 4. If anything we need another top 4 d and let Hanifin progress slowly. I don't want to see a Hainsey/ anyone else top 4 pairing. I don't think hainsey is terrible or anything but that defense post-Faulk isn't going to cut it. Throwing a talented rookie into that isn't going to help his development either.

I wish Eric Staal didn't become a lazy half assed effort break away choking 9 million dollar "leader". This team with an "Eric Cares" Staal is very good. Alas....hope carries on for a number one center to be there at around pick 7-12.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Hypothetically, the Canes could sign a free agent in the offseason to help fill the void on the blueline. Perhaps Shattenkirk is out of Carolina’s league, but Stone is set to hit the market in July. If handedness is not a huge issue, there’s also the likes of Kulikov, Oduya, Daley, etc

As much as I would like us to grab a FA at the right cost, this organization isn't at that stage yet. We will likely do a trade than sign a big FA, which I'm okay with.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Maybe my definition is different from yours, but I wouldn’t call any of Kulikov, Daley or Oduya big FAs. Conceivably there's an argument for Stone considering what's scheduled to be available in July. Even then, I think he’s a clear step below Shattenkirk and maybe Alzner.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't disagree but they'll all be the biggest names available and will therefore be overpaid regardless. Which will be the main reason we won't get any of them.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Since you asked, I think the Canes are a weaker team if it's simply a Duchene-Faulk swap. I think it must return a top-4 RHD, and I haven't heard anyone answer to that concern.
I don't get the obsession with another RHD in the Top 4. Sure, the Canes have had a nice R/L alignment throughout but it's not a necessity, just a nice to have. Hanifin moving up, even when paired with another lefty is hardly unworkable.

The bigger issue is replacing Faulk's shot from the point whether from a RHD or LHD. That's where the bigger impact is because nobody else really has a strong, accurate shot. The dark horse is actually Tennyson who, though you don't see it much, has a good point shot.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It wouldn't surprise you if the Canes will protect Altshuller and expose both Ward and Lack? I'd be down right shocked.

It would not surprise me at all if they protect Carrick. Other than Faulk, who do they have to protect? Hainsey and Tennyson? (No need, they are UFAs). Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin = exempt. Dahlbeck (we assume) will be the 1 required to be exposed.

So, unless they re-sign Tennyson or Hainsey, they can protect 2 of Carrick, Murphy, Lowe, Robertson or Chelios.

Yeah, BBA, while I expect them to protect Ward given his recent play, it just wouldn't shock me to see neither Lack nor Ward protected. There will be a significant goalie population left unprotected (absent an equally significant number of transactions) and a few better (or historically better) tenders will be out there. The organization may make the determination to roll those dice. But like I said, it probably isn't what I expect.

The UFA question is interesting as, I believe, technically a player isn't a UFA until July 1. But that's a case of Vegas rolling the dice.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't disagree but they'll all be the biggest names available and will therefore be overpaid regardless. Which will be the main reason we won't get any of them.

Just looking over the whole thing, holy **** what a bad year for the UFA market (and great year for some mediocre UFAs). Next year should be a good bit better thankfully.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, BBA, while I expect them to protect Ward given his recent play, it just wouldn't shock me to see neither Lack nor Ward protected. There will be a significant goalie population left unprotected (absent an equally significant number of transactions) and a few better (or historically better) tenders will be out there. The organization may make the determination to roll those dice. But like I said, it probably isn't what I expect.

The UFA question is interesting as, I believe, technically a player isn't a UFA until July 1. But that's a case of Vegas rolling the dice.

Well, it would downright SHOCK me, particularly to protect Altshuller. Let's say they leave Lack/Ward unprotected and Vegas then takes Ward. So now the Canes are left with:

1) going into the season with Altshuller/Lack as their starting combo :help:
2) Trying to way overpay in UFA to get a goalie. (and we've never been a hotbed for UFAs).
3) Give up a lot of assets in a trade to get a goalie.

I can't see ANY way RF puts himself in that pickle just to protect Altshuller, who, hasn't shown he can be an NHL goalie at all.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well, it would downright SHOCK me, particularly to protect Altshuller. Let's say they leave Lack/Ward unprotected and Vegas then takes Ward. So now the Canes are left with:

1) going into the season with Altshuller/Lack as their starting combo :help:
2) Trying to way overpay in UFA to get a goalie. (and we've never been a hotbed for UFAs).
3) Give up a lot of assets in a trade to get a goalie.

I can't see ANY way RF puts himself in that pickle just to protect Altshuller, who, hasn't shown he can be an NHL goalie at all.

I'm with you on this. Unless Ward falls off a cliff in his performance, no way he isn't protected.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Altshuller hasn't really been given the chance to though. I would be completely stunned if we're out of it if he doesn't get a few games just to see what he could do, not so much for expansion draft protection reasons but so as to see if he's a possibility to play backup for Ward next year. Though obviously I'd still like to see us go and try to upgrade that with more of a 1B type guy, and while this is a **** year for the skater positions in UFA it's not a terrible one in net: Bishop, Mason, Miller, Bernier, Ochocinco, Elliott, Neuvirth, Greiss, Nilsen, Kinkaid. So while Bishop and Mason aren't realistic, the rest of that list is, and most of that list would be an upgrade over Lack.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Altshuller hasn't really been given the chance to though.

Yeah, I do get that, but to risk losing your starting goalie for a guy who has never played in the NHL and has been average at the AHL? That's exactly my point. He may end up being a decent NHL goalie down the road, but as of right now he's by no means a sure thing to even be an NHL back-up goalie and as I said, I'd be downright shocked to see them protect Altshuller and expose Ward right now.

Though obviously I'd still like to see us go and try to upgrade that with more of a 1B type guy, and while this is a **** year for the skater positions in UFA it's not a terrible one in net: Bishop, Mason, Miller, Bernier, Ochocinco, Elliott, Neuvirth, Greiss, Nilsen, Kinkaid. So while Bishop and Mason aren't realistic, the rest of that list is, and most of that list would be an upgrade over Lack.

Maybe they would. We've seen other guys that we though would be upgrades over our current back-up (and Ward) over the years, but they haven't really panned out. I agree RF should try though.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Altshuller hasn't really been given the chance to though. I would be completely stunned if we're out of it if he doesn't get a few games just to see what he could do, not so much for expansion draft protection reasons but so as to see if he's a possibility to play backup for Ward next year. Though obviously I'd still like to see us go and try to upgrade that with more of a 1B type guy, and while this is a **** year for the skater positions in UFA it's not a terrible one in net: Bishop, Mason, Miller, Bernier, Ochocinco, Elliott, Neuvirth, Greiss, Nilsen, Kinkaid. So while Bishop and Mason aren't realistic, the rest of that list is, and most of that list would be an upgrade over Lack.

Altshuller started the year in Florida, got called up to Charlotte due to the Lack injury, and has had all of 2 starts there. Don't know why they are giving 75% of the starts to Ned who has been awful, Altshuller really needs a fair look. But the way the Canes are handling Altshuller at the moment I'm doubtful we will see him this year. I hate how they are managing the goalie situation with Ned & Altshuller right now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

So, why would Vegas pick him then? Do they have access to information that our staff doesn't? Seems a very small risk to leave him exposed compared to the risk of getting Ward taken if he is not protected and then having no good option for Ward's replacement.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Perhaps Altshuler isn't being given a chance because the coaches who watch him every day don't see a guy with any NHL potential.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm not saying to protect Altshuller by any means. I'm just saying it's disingenuous to say he hasn't shown he can be an NHL goalie when he has exactly 0 minutes of NHL playing time. We really don't know if he can be one or not at this point.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The good thing about the goalie position, is there are a very limited number of spots for them, and obviously less so for starters. If we did inexplicably protect Altshuller and lost Ward, we'd probably not have as much of a problem getting a UFA goalie as other positions just because an open starting position is pretty big. Whether the guy we get would be worth it is a different story. But I really think there is zero chance of us protecting Altshuller, and that's how it should be. And I sure have a hard time believing they'd have any thought of him being backup next year unless we just want to give up now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm not saying to protect Altshuller by any means. I'm just saying it's disingenuous to say he hasn't shown he can be an NHL goalie when he has exactly 0 minutes of NHL playing time. We really don't know if he can be one or not at this point.

I don't think it's disingenuous at all to say that a guy that has only really had success at the ECHL level 4 years after being drafted "hasn't shown he can be an NHL goalie" even if he hasn't played in the NHL yet. :dunno:

He hasn't yet shown he can be a consistently good AHL goalie to this point. If this was Matt Murray (who was drafted the same year), who put up 0.941 and .931 in consecutive AHL seasons, then I'd agree with you, but it's not. I'm not saying he'll never make it to the NHL, just that it isn't obvious that he will make it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad