Around the league part 2

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I was going to say, why in the world would anyone be dumb enough to try fighting someone from the lower row/level and be at such a disadvantage? But then i thought, why in the world would anyone be dumb enough to even get in a fight at a game in the first place?

It's yet another reason why i watch games at home...and only attend games if it's in the suite.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I was going to say, why in the world would anyone be dumb enough to try fighting someone from the lower row/level and be at such a disadvantage? But then i thought, why in the world would anyone be dumb enough to even get in a fight at a game in the first place?

It's yet another reason why i watch games at home...and only attend games if it's in the suite.
Just Boston things, or Philadelphia.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No thanks to Duchene as a defensive 3rd line center.

Well sure but PLD is neither so

I’ve called Duchene the ultimate loser before along with RyJo so it’s not like I was clamoring for him

But again…it’s less about the perfect 3C and more about how many options the Kings had for either signing or trade that WERE NOT PLD and his associated opportunity cost, and I’m not sure I understand why people are arguing with that

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Well sure but PLD is neither so

I’ve called Duchene the ultimate loser before along with RyJo so it’s not like I was clamoring for him

But again…it’s less about the perfect 3C and more about how many options the Kings had for either signing or trade that WERE NOT PLD and his associated opportunity cost, and I’m not sure I understand why people are arguing with that
oh I agree. You know who would have been a good #3C? Vilardi and QB rotating Carter/Richards style.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’ll take Duchene and RyJo at 3 and 4 C for a couple hundred K more than the next couple years over Dubois and Lizotte for a single season.

Reactions: YP44

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Another team with bargain basement goaltending toronto losing to boston again 2-1 after dropping the first game in boston. Samsonov allowed the bruins 2nd goal with 7 sec left in in the first

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
This is when I miss nbc. You could watch just about any series on all all their channels. Now you have 1 choice, and multiple paywalls.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
wish the kings could play with a fraction of the intensity displayed in that game

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Isles blew a 3 goal lead sitting back. Hope Kings take note that it doesnt work in the playoffs.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Islanders are an embarrassment to the sport. I love seeing teams who play like that lose, just such an awful product, the popularity of the sport cratered when teams played like that in the late 90's.

Reactions: chris kontos

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The Islanders are an embarrassment to the sport. I love seeing teams who play like that lose, just such an awful product, the popularity of the sport cratered when teams played like that in the late 90's.
But people always talk about those late 90s teams.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Id like to add that lou lammerillo is a nightmare that doesnt allow facial hair on his players and makes them wear a suit and tie to every game. He must be so highly respected for some reason im dammned if i can figure out why at this point. Lou is a fossil. And i know this because im a fossil as well.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

"There were some close calls for bonuses. Ottawa’s Jake Sanderson missed a fifth bonus of $212,500 this season by one measly point. His contract called for 0.49 points per game or better, and he finished with 0.481. New York Rangers forward Will Cuylle needed one more game for an $82,500 games played bonus. And Los Angeles Kings breakout star Quinton Byfield nailed his goals (20) and assists (35) bonuses squarely on the head."

Overage Penalties for 2024-25​

TeamOverage Penalty
Edmonton Oilers$3,450,000*
Dallas Stars$2,595,407
Washington Capitals$2,252,500
Los Angeles Kings$1,850,000
New Jersey Devils$1,538,897
Montréal Canadiens$1,022,500
Ottawa Senators$850,000
New York Rangers$512,500*
Minnesota Wild$425,000*
Philadelphia Flyers$245,000
Boston Bruins$50,000*
(Florida Panthers)($500,000)**
(Carolina Hurricanes)($50,450)***

Further down in the article, it notes the Kings effective salary cap space for next season as $83,125,000.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Who? The only teams I ever hear people take about from that era are Colorado and Detroit and rightly so. I never hear anyone talking about any of the others. Never once have I heard anyone lament over the 90s Devils or Stars and how great they were to watch.

I'll defend the Arnott era Devils teams. From 1997-2001, the Devils quietly put up as much offense as the Wings/Avs. The trap can be a scapegoat and the Wings played a version of it just with the less ominous sounding left wing lock moniker.

Usually with the trap it was whether or not you had the horses to convert on the counterattack. Detroit had the forwards to make it entertaining For a few years the Devils had the skill before they had to let guys go for budget reasons. At least for me, that was the stark difference between the 2000 Devils and the 2003 Devils. 2003 squad was more of the caricature of "defense first with just enough offense to win."

The other problem was the rapid expansion of the 90's (plus several crappy draft classes). The only way certain teams could compete would be play the trap. Trap + lower skill is a rough watch.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
been telling yall it was just a matter of time with demko

dude's body isn't meant to be a goalie. it's a shame because he's so good at it but once your hips go, you compensate with your knees and your back and stick a fork in him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad