Around the league part 2

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I think both them and a number of fans here all believe that getting into the playoffs is like a lottery ticket. The odds are low, but one of the teams HAS to win it!

For building a contender, that kind of attitude is foolish.
It’s a loser mentality that has plagued this team since Andy Murray. Luc used to and still repeats it. “Just make the playoffs and anything can happen”. Basically just means “We know our chances are low but cross your fingers and maybe we’ll get lucky this time”. No true contender thinks that way.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

200w.gif

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think both them and a number of fans here all believe that getting into the playoffs is like a lottery ticket. The odds are low, but one of the teams HAS to win it!

For building a contender, that kind of attitude is foolish.
It makes sense with a younger core. Eventually you need to get out of the rebuild, and playoffs are a part of emotional and mental growth.

After all, I think the Kings benefitted from playoff experience in 2010 and 2011 before winning in 2012. The difference being that core players like Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, and Quick were in their 20s.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
love that kid and think he's gonna be quite a force (Nazar)

he's one of the first college kids i've basically agreed 100% with @Herby on (other than Faber maybe) so I hope that's significant somehow haha

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
"just get in the playoffs" is straight up loser mentality.
its excuse making wrapped in self pity as a gift - to open upon inevitable defeat.
its repulsive.
I'm convinced that Luc has this line of thinking because of 2012 and the Kings winning as an 8th seed. The issue is, he doesn't understand that, that Kings team in 2012 was really only an 8th seed in name only because of how tight the Western Conference was that year.

It's a bit of "well, the team did it once" without understanding the how and why of that team doing what they did.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Tigermask, They were really only an 8th seed for the reasons you mentioned and became champions because of god -like once in a lifetime goaltending with a big side order of team defense.
Im scared to wonder about what robitaille thinks.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm convinced that Luc has this line of thinking because of 2012 and the Kings winning as an 8th seed. The issue is, he doesn't understand that, that Kings team in 2012 was really only an 8th seed in name only because of how tight the Western Conference was that year.

It's a bit of "well, the team did it once" without understanding the how and why of that team doing what they did.

Is it that much difference?

2011-2012 - 1st place 109 points, 8th place 95
2023-2024 - 1st place as of today, 111 points 8th place 96.....

Sorry I don't find much difference.......

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Tigermask, They were really only an 8th seed for the reasons you mentioned and became champions because of god -like once in a lifetime goaltending with a big side order of team defense.
Im scared to wonder about what robitaille thinks.
Exactly. I will say, if you go through those games and that roster I think everyone (besides maybe Lewis?) had their big moment at some point though. Richards in game 1 against the Canucks, Greene getting a goal in game 6 of the finals. Fraser in game 1 of the finals.
As instrumental as Quick was, that team got big contributions from 95% of it's roster when it mattered.

Edit: Scratch the Lewis part out. I forgot he was the one that caused the turnover to Stoll in overtime of game 5

Last edited:
Reactions: 21Dog

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Deep teams win the cup. The Kings aren't deep. Especially on defense.
The Kings are kind of deep, actually. There just aren't any real gamebreakers.

Are the 2019 Blues the worst Cup winner of the current century? Seem like the worst recent winner. Only recent winner I can look at from a skill point of view that this current Kings team could possibly match up with but the Kings lack the toughness of that team.

Blues needed 26 games like the 2014 Kings. They scored a total of 75 goals. 2.88 GPG. Allowed 65 for a 2.5 GAA. Pretty amazing that they won but that's the blueprint for the current Kings which is why, of course, most of us are predicting a 1st round exit.

2014 Kings scored 88. 3.38 GPG. 69 goals against for a 2.65 GAA.

2012 was 2.85 GPG and a 1.41 GAA for Quick haha.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Luc has been saying this long before 2012. 2012 just validated his beliefs. I don’t care what anyone says, it’s always better to be a top seed going in. How many 7-8 seeds have won a cup? How many top 2–3 seeds have?

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Let’s see the moneypuck odds for the kings at the conclusion of the season. Right now they sit near the bottom of the playoff teams for a cup win.

But they have just under a 30% chance of making the second round. So for a team with those expectations, I guess there is a modicum of hope.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Isn’t it still crazy that we don’t know the identity of this team? With Dean he was always clear and upfront about it but Blake has been looking for theirs ever since he signed on.
I think their identity is to frustrate/bore their opponents into submission - and im not even joking about the bore part. The problem with that approach is its inherently passive. So when they get down in a game they dont have the attacking mentality. They dont have a hitting line which could change momentum when theyre down in games. They dont have top end scorers who could generate offense out of nowhere like a McDavid or MacKinnon. Thats why they still played the 1-3-1 when down last season against EDM. They have no other tactics.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Isn’t it still crazy that we don’t know the identity of this team? With Dean he was always clear and upfront about it but Blake has been looking for theirs ever since he signed on.
Every time this comes up, I ask who the core players of this team are. Who are the 5-6 players the team is built around? Where do you even start to identify the core pieces? This team is just a collection of spare parts cobbled together.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
With Nashville losing and done with regular season at 99 points, it seems like a real chance the Kings get passed by Vegas for 3rd and get the WC1 spot against Vancouver. Especially since losing right now to Minny.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
With Nashville losing and done with regular season at 99 points, it seems like a real chance the Kings get passed by Vegas for 3rd and get the WC1 spot against Vancouver. Especially since losing right now to Minny.
The Kings can only drop to WC2. They can’t finish in WC1. Nashville has the tiebreaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad