Around the league part 2

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Utah is one of the fastest growing states in the country in terms of out of state transplants.

My brother is partner at a multimillion marketing company in SLC and he would never live anywhere else.

There’s a lot of money in that state and a lot of growth. People who think Utah is some backwards Mormon principality have never been there.

By percent or raw numbers? SLC is nice, but will be hard to get the local tv numbers in that area, as it’s nothing beyond SLC and a few mid level cities. (Granted local tv money may be dead in the next half decade)

That said, when selling national TV deals, St Lake is not as valuable as a Houston or an Atlanta (or an untainted Phoenix market).

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
By percent or raw numbers? SLC is nice, but will be hard to get the local tv numbers in that area, as it’s nothing beyond SLC and a few mid level cities. (Granted local tv money may be dead in the next half decade)

That said, when selling national TV deals, St Lake is not as valuable as a Houston or an Atlanta (or an untainted Phoenix market).

No one’s disputing that Atlanta and Houston are bigger markets. The NHL has already tried and failed to make hockey work in Atlanta twice. Houston, I’m sure, will be an expansion location eventually.

Reactions: BehindEnemyLines

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
No one’s disputing that Atlanta and Houston are bigger markets. The NHL has already tried and failed to make hockey work in Atlanta twice. Houston, I’m sure, will be an expansion location eventually.
bad ownership sunk Atlanta (it almost sunk LA too once - there was talk of LA moving at one point) That Atlanta TV market is hard to resist.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bank it off the goalies dome... :cool:

I would be pretty annoyed as a coach. Not because "grrrr I'm a dinosaur" but if it misses, it almost undoubtedly creates additional opportunities for the opponent to break out.

Imagine missing the goalie's head from behind the net. You would end up clearing the zone and chance a breakaway against.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I would be pretty annoyed as a coach. Not because "grrrr I'm a dinosaur" but if it misses, it almost undoubtedly creates additional opportunities for the opponent to break out.

Imagine missing the goalie's head from behind the net. You would end up clearing the zone and chance a breakaway against.
yeah it's legit worse than missing wide on a rush

i do think it's pretty funny exploiting a weakness in goalie fundamentals though

Reactions: King'sPawn

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The Flames were put in Atlanta simply to keep the WHA out of there, and the eventual Thrashers ownership literally did not want the team to play in the building they owned. Atlanta is not a good pro sports city, but the Hawks and Falcons are still there, despite all their incompetence over the decades.

Put a decent ownership in Atlanta, and there's no reason the market shouldn't work. At least to have a team there. That's the problem the NHL has had though. A lot of ownerships have been awful, and approved for short term interests. Even Arizona, or Phoenix, was the lesser choice, since originally, the Jets were supposed to move to Minnesota to replace the North Stars. Then Phoenix eventually became a whole thing on its own. But, even in a hockey hotbed like Minnesota, the North Stars were in financial trouble back in the day, and had to merge with another failed franchise in the Barons to remain intact.

Basically, everything since the doubling of the league in 1967 has been a bit of a mess. Even the Blues, who made the Final in 3 straight years after expansion, were pretty much a favor given to the Hawks owner.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Hertl, Eichel, Hanifin all seal the deal in the OT comeback against the Avs. Hard to root for the Kings in a Western conference where they are the, at best, sixth ranked team.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Oilers phoning it in this last week to get the Kings only to wind up playing the Knights would be too funny.
I would love that and would be more interesting to play that Stars.. im sick of that cast of characters in EDM esp with the addition of Perry - to let them have another free shot at the 1-3-1 LAK and destroy it would be hard to digest.

Reactions: roccerfeller

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I would love that and would be more interesting to play that Stars.. im sick of that cast of characters in EDM esp with the addition of Perry - to let them have another free shot at the 1-3-1 LAK and destroy it would be hard to digest.
Oettinger might be the most underrated goalie in the NHL.

He'd shut us out every game.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Oettinger might be the most underrated goalie in the NHL.

He'd shut us out every game.
He had his ups and downs throughout the season (had him in fantasy league).. but he's been very solid last month of season. Their record doesnt lie.. but goals against they have 233 and LAK is 208.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Finishing 2nd in the Pacific is better for the Oilers than finishing 1st, everyone in that organization knew it, nobody said anything, but let's be honest, if finishing 1st was a ticket to avoiding Vegas instead of facing them, you would have seen McDavid playing vs. Vancouver
Finishing 1st means they would've played Nashville.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fun question--if you're the Stars and you draw the Kings, do you even gamble on Oettinger or do you just play Wedgewood Hasek?

If I'm Hiller i'm leaning into that narrative, everyone in the West is positioning themselves to play the Kings if possible

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Fun question--if you're the Stars and you draw the Kings, do you even gamble on Oettinger or do you just play Wedgewood Hasek?

If I'm Hiller i'm leaning into that narrative, everyone in the West is positioning themselves to play the Kings if possible
Gotta keep Oettinger warmed up for the later rounds so I think we’d see him.

I’m more worried about getting clapped by the Stars and the prevailing narrative being “Well Dallas is unbeatable anyway, nothing Blake could’ve done about a bad draw like that.”

With the Oilers, I’m reasonably certain a loss will lead to changes considering they blew all their offseason capital on one guy that was supposed to specifically beat them.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Avoiding the OIlers was a stupid idea anyways. Why take a chance and have blake stay longer
The Oilers are probably the 2nd best team in the West.

I don't think anyone believed we'd be a Stanley Cup contender this year anyways.

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
Pretty sure the entire Kings front office thought they were.
I think both them and a number of fans here all believe that getting into the playoffs is like a lottery ticket. The odds are low, but one of the teams HAS to win it!

For building a contender, that kind of attitude is foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad