Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So why is Mike Card funny / relevant?

Forum 26 joke circa 2011. To downplay the win in the 2006 ECF, a Sabres fan made the claim that Buffalo would have won the series if not for blueline injuries forcing the likes of Mike Card into the lineup. Mike Card didn't play a game in that series.

Things were actually pretty heated on here when both teams were semi-relevant.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
ROR will probably cost Necas (Pesce/Hamilton aren't going to be that interesting to a rebuilding team and guys like Bean/Kuokkanen aren't good enough to be main pieces) and a decent + or two at this point though. Not sure if I'd be comfortable giving all that up now. Unless we're straight up finally going for it by adding another top 6 forward or two. ROR would go a long way at helping our anemic forward group, but it's so anemic I'm not sure he would be even enough especially if we're giving up Necas.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't remember exactly what metrics went into it but I do remember reading an article a while back about players comparable to each other and according to it the most similar player to tarasenko was Jeff Skinner

it's an interesting concept, but it's entirely possible we need a player very similar to jeff skinner that isn't jeff skinner. the relationship didn't seem to be all that positive at any point over the past few years he was here. it wasn't something that came to a head overnight. the writing on the wall suggests that skinner was gone after this season regardless of circumstance. we weren't going to offer him $8 million a season and if things materialized where we were a playoff team with him, we couldn't deal him at the deadline either. the risk of losing him for nothing caused us to take pennies on the dollar, but in truth the situation should have been resolved in one way or another by francis. extend him or deal him. that sort of indecision seems to be in part what cost him his job here.

with all that said, tarasenko is on another level than carolina skinner. year to year consistency being a key factor in that. 112 goals in the last 3 seasons before this one for tarasenko and 89 for skinner. exceeded 65 points every year. skinner hit 63 in his best year in that frame.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'd for sure do cartwheels if we pulled in tarasenko. Just remembered reading that and thought it was interesting. I didn't realize he had so many years left on his contract- 4 more years at a flat 7.5 per. But after this year he has a ntc so if they're going to trade him it'll have to be soon

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I hate talking about this because I know it will never happen, but oh well.

Saw on the Blues forums they’d ask Necas+Pesce for Tarasenko, which seems fair. Now, I hate to give up our only prospective top 6 center, so I wonder if a similarly talented winger like Kuokkanen or Teravainen and a defenseman would work as a base.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I imagine our 1st would be on the table for Tarasenko right?

Is there anyway we could get him without including Necas or Turbo? Pesce/Faulk + 1st + ?

We are short at least 2 top-6 forwards right now; Tarasenko is a huge upgrade now over Necas or TT but how much good would it really do if we have to move out our current top guys to do it?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
it's an interesting concept, but it's entirely possible we need a player very similar to jeff skinner that isn't jeff skinner. the relationship didn't seem to be all that positive at any point over the past few years he was here. it wasn't something that came to a head overnight. the writing on the wall suggests that skinner was gone after this season regardless of circumstance. we weren't going to offer him $8 million a season and if things materialized where we were a playoff team with him, we couldn't deal him at the deadline either. the risk of losing him for nothing caused us to take pennies on the dollar, but in truth the situation should have been resolved in one way or another by francis. extend him or deal him. that sort of indecision seems to be in part what cost him his job here.

My understanding is that players cannot sign extensions until they are in the final year of their contract...so Skinner couldn't sign an extension until ~July 2018...which was about 4 months after Dundon fired Francis.

I'll also point out that Francis did in fact recently extend Slavin and Pesce ASAP to great benefit to this franchise...he was not indecisive.

Tarasenko is a true sniper...a phrase Dundon recently used to describe the type of player they're looking for...Skinner has some nifty hands up close, but I wouldn't call him a sniper...we shall see.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’d hate to lose Necas as he is an organizational need.

Let’s go crazy:

1st, both 2nds, Necas, Pesce for Tarasenko + ROR

Tarasenko - Aho - TT
Ferland - ROR - Svechnikov
Martinook - Staal - Williams
McGinn - Wallmark - Bishop

I'd grit my teeth and do that. That's a lot to give up, but both are in positions of need now and signed for long enough to make it tolerable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd do Necas+ or Teravainen++ for Tarasenko in a heartbeat. But I'm just tired of watching bad hockey so that may be skewing my perspective.

Tarasenko is an individual difference maker and a true sniper. #4 in goals over the past 4 years. He's having a bit of a rough year and he's coming up on his NTC activating. Historically that can create a perfect storm which leads to a trade. If that happens then I hope the Canes are willing to offer up what it takes.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Let’s go crazy:

Tarasenko - Aho - TT

I'd add just about whatever futures it takes to Necas + Pesce for ROR/Schenn + Tank. That is a move that makes the Canes competitive this year. Getting into dreamland.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Let’s go crazy:

Tarasenko - Aho - TT

What about Pesce + 1st + 2nd/s + any prospect not named Svech or Necas for Tarasenko + Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad