GDT: Around the League - Off Season Edition - let the good times roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Second straight year LOU has to trade one of his defencemen so that he can resign his RFAs.

#capissues

He's got 8.5 mil in cap and got a pretty damn good depth player @ 50% retained and the 52nd pick for a defenceman who is 30 and not even their top d man. Only bad contracts I see on that team atm are Komarov, Clutterbuck and I guess Martin and the 1st 2 only got 1 more year left. Pelech is the only person really I would say he has to re sign even though I think he'll try and bring back Palmieri.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's got 8.5 mil in cap and got a pretty damn good depth player @ 50% retained and the 52nd pick for a defenceman who is 30 and not even their top d man. Only bad contracts I see on that team atm are Komarov, Clutterbuck and I guess Martin and the 1st 2 only got 1 more year left. Pelech is the only person really I would say he has to re sign even though I think he'll try and bring back Palmieri.

Panik is really not that good. You can find vet minimum guys who can bring as much as he can.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Panik is really not that good. You can find vet minimum guys who can bring as much as he can.

Guy can score 10-20 goals and plays a physical game at like 1.5 mil. You probably could find a league minimum guy to do that but at least with Panik he's pretty consistent with his scoring (except this past season) if he stays healthy. I also think he'll fit in pretty well on the Islanders.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
another bad cap management Lou Lam trade

Second straight year LOU has to trade one of his defencemen so that he can resign his RFAs.

#capissues

I don't think Lou is a great GM, but this was a solid trade. He actually got assets back for a not-so-good Leddy and his cap hit.

Now he needs to unload Eberle somehow to be in a really nice position.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Regular Season

TOI: 1. Pulock 22:27, 2. Leddy 21:35, 3. Pelech 21:03
ESTOI: 1. Leddy 19:06, 2. Pulock 18:59, 3. Pelech 18:51
PTS: 1. Leddy 31, 2. Pulock 17, 3. Mayfield 15

Playoffs

TOI: 1. Pulock 23:19, 2. Pelech 23:18, 3. Leddy 23:06
ESTOI: 1. Pelech 20:54, 2. Leddy 20:49, 3. Pulock 20:34
PTS: 1. Dobson 7, 2. Leddy 6, 2. Pulock 6

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don't think Lou is a great GM, but this was a solid trade. He actually got assets back for a not-so-good Leddy and his cap hit.

Now he needs to unload Eberle somehow to be in a really nice position.
Agreed. Seems an odd time for DET to move a 2nd.
Banking on vet experience to tutor the youth.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Agreed. Seems an odd time for DET to move a 2nd.
Banking on vet experience to tutor the youth.

Relationship in this industry matters. Lou has built credibility and relationship

He probably asked for a favor or something along that lines. A lot of GMs bail out each other

A 2nd round for Detroit means nothing. They have accumulated enough prospects

Reactions: rumman

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Edmonton is so screwed because of the Heiskanen contract. They will end up giving Nurse $7.5M+ at least and it might end up as one of the worst contracts in the league.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Habs get a lifeline if Price is taken. Plus Weber's 7.8m on LTIR we're talking 18.5m extra cap space on top of whatever they have available now.

Montreal aren't going back to the finals next year, Price is on the wrong side of 30. 5 years remaining might scare Seattle off though. If I'm a Habs fan I'd want Price selected, golden opportunity to retool on the fly with acres of cap space.

Reactions: themilosh

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Habs get a lifeline if Price is taken. Plus Weber's 7.8m on LTIR we're talking 18.5m extra cap space on top of whatever they have available now.

Montreal aren't going back to the finals next year, Price is on the wrong side of 30. 5 years remaining might scare Seattle off though. If I'm a Habs fan I'd want Price selected, golden opportunity to retool on the fly with acres of cap space.

Not sold on our future between the pipes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Isles protecting Clutterbuck and Martin over Bailey and Eberle is a fun move

Making room for Hyman, as their +$5 mil can go to Zach.

Clutterbuck and Martin from 2/3rds of the best 4th line in hockey and once they re-sign Casey Cizikas the gang will be back together.

This doesn't surprise because Eberle and Bailey are among NYI softer forwards and that team is built to hit and compete.

Reactions: The CyNick

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Making room for Hyman, as their +$5 mil can go to Zach.

Clutterbuck and Martin from 2/3rds of the best 4th line in hockey and once they re-sign Casey Cizikas the gang will be back together.

This doesn't surprise because Eberle and Bailey are among NYI softer forwards and that team is built to hit and compete.

And their biggest weakness this playoffs was their inability to drive offense due to lack of finishers. Tampa outscored them at a nearly 2-1 ratio in their final series.

Reactions: Smif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And their biggest weakness this playoffs was their inability to drive offense due to lack of finishers. Tampa outscored them at a nearly 2-1 ratio in their final series.

Much like the Leafs in the playoffs the NYI were playing without their Captain and leading score Anders Lee who recorded 100 goals over his last 3 a bit seasons when healthy.

Softer perimeter players like Bailey 7 games 1-1-2 points and Eberle 7 games 1-2-3 points had little impact in the TB series. The both make $5-5.5 mil so I'm speculating their hoping Seattle takes one and then they can go UFA shopping for a player that fits more the style and system.

Hyman seems like a perfect fit and Lou Lam knows him well and his work ethic and signed him to his last deal with the Leafs.

Tampa Bay only let in 18 goals in their 14 playoff losses so even when they lose they give up very few goals to anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: The CyNick

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Isles protecting Clutterbuck and Martin over Bailey and Eberle is a fun move

May look like a bad move on a micro level talent wise.

But Clutterbuck is a UFA after this year and his money comes off the books. Martin is relatively fine salary wise for what he brings, whose salary isn’t a detriment either way. Getting out under a contract of a 31-year old making $5 to 5.5 million with three years left, coupled with the savings from the Leddy and Ladd salary dumps, would give the Islanders even more flexibility.

So on a macro level, it’s a pretty good strategy, even if the Kraken call Lou’s bluff and take either. The Islanders are probably hoping they actually do.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Have you seen how good their 4th line is. That's called a playoff line

You can't seriously think Matt Martin had more to do with their success than two guys who were driving their offense.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I am Francis, I would take Price and Quick, Gio and Tarasenko. Just one of those goalies get hot at the right time means winning the Cup.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
If I am Francis, I would take Price and Quick, Gio and Tarasenko. Just one of those goalies get hot at the right time means winning the Cup.
I'd take price and retain salary and trade him to some team that has excess of assets but needs a proven goalie. Also just to see MTL burn :popcorn:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Francis should pass hard on Price. However if this tweet is true, it would be dumb not to select Weber.

In this scenario, this is the space Seattle would accrue if Weber retired after each of the next four seasons.

Retirement yearCap BonusAccrued bonus
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Like the recapture penalties, I imagine the bonuses would be capped at Weber's 7.857 cap hit and the additional would roll over. So, if Weber retired after the 2024-25 season Seattle would be able to exceed the cap ceiling by 7.857 in 2025-26 & 2026-27 and by 4.714 in 2027-28. I'd take that madness over anything else Montreal has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad