Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You pay taxes on where the game is played... so that's not true. No way the remaining games would've resulted in tat much in taxes

He has like 6 years left on his contract, and that's 41 games per season that go from CA taxes to NV taxes (no state income tax).

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Sharks retaining for 6 more years AND sending two 3rd rounders to Vegas seems really puzzling.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sharks retaining for 6 more years AND sending two 3rd rounders to Vegas seems really puzzling.

Fun fact, it works out to just under 1.4M in retention for the next six years

After the "dead cap goes away", the Wild still have 1.6M in dead cap for four additional years

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Fun fact, it works out to just under 1.4M in retention for the next six years

After the "dead cap goes away", the Wild still have 1.6M in dead cap for four additional years

Assuming no more buy-outs, the Wild will be free of any and all dead cap hits the year I retire. Not sure if that's an encouraging or sobering thought.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Assuming no more buy-outs, the Wild will be free of any and all dead cap hits the year I retire. Not sure if that's an encouraging or sobering thought.
I think it should be assumed the next GM will likely have to extend the wilds dead cap attempting to straighten out Guerins tenure

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’m thinking Freddy gets bought out for sure , possibly Spurgeon also
I really don't think you buy out somebody making $2.1M

If anything, Spurgeon just becomes one of the LTIR things that so many other teams are able to take advantage of. We'll see what happens after missing mostly a full year, but as of now, he's still a good player.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I really don't think you buy out somebody making $2.1M

If anything, Spurgeon just becomes one of the LTIR things that so many other teams are able to take advantage of. We'll see what happens after missing mostly a full year, but as of now, he's still a good player.
When that somebody is signed for 2.1 and 4 more seasons the buyout may be a thing

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we assume there will be a new GM in 2026-27, which I don't, Gaudreau would only have two years left on his deal. Foligno as well. I don't see Guerin buying either of them out, and with only two years left, a new GM wouldn't have to either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Freddy G isn't a contract buyout contract it's one that you send though waivers to the AHL.
-Freddy G buyout with 2 years left would be 4 years of dead cap: $920k x2 and $590k x 2.
-Freddy G buried in the AHL with 2 years left: $950k x 2.

GMBG won't do this with him because of his loyalty to "his guys" (Merrill as example). A new GM won't have those same loyalty and shouldn't have a problem being a little cutthroat when he takes over and cleans house.

Foligno could be a buyout candidate, but he's more of a retain and trade candidate.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Foligno could be a buyout candidate, but he's more of a retain and trade candidate.

They might be 4th liners, but Duhaime and Dewar both provided a little toughness for this team. With them gone, Foligno now becomes a little more valuable and needed...especially if we are adding multiple rookies to the lineup

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They might be 4th liners, but Duhaime and Dewar both provided a little toughness for this team. With them gone, Foligno now becomes a little more valuable and needed...especially if we are adding multiple rookies to the lineup
toughness, and even more, speed.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I was just going along with the buyout in a couple of years idea. Foligno isn't going anywhere. He's a GMBG's guy.

Duhaime doesn't really fall into the tough guy category for me. Clutterbuck, Foligno, Maroon, and Reaves are/were tough guys. Stewie was a respected face puncher, but not tough while playing. Duhaime is more like a Greenway, Middleton, and Scandella quasi tough guy, that nobody really fears.

I thought Dewar was more tenacious than tough.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I looked up Kahk's numbers and he isn't doing bad. 2.75 GAA and a .923 SV%. Record is bad though 1-3. So who knows what's going on, but I always figured he'd be a good 1B, backup goalie like Khudobin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad