Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like Vrana and Bertuzzi as guys that have shown more offense in the past and may find it again in the right situation. Primarily looking for a top six winger to play alongside Rossi. I like the size Bertuzzi has and I think Guerin would too.

Henrique would be fine if Khusnutdinov turns into a winger.

Outside of those three guys, I don't like anyone else on that list, they're all kinda like Johansson to me.

I could take a chance on Duclair too.

I'd only take Henrique on a short deal (2 yr max), so what Marat K does doesn't really effect that. I don't see them competing for the same lineup spot.

I have Marat K is in competition with Dewar, Shaw, and the AHL scrubs for lineup spots. It's the MarJo and Freddy G contracts that are blocking FWD lineup spots away imo.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd only take Henrique on a short deal (2 yr max), so what Marat K does doesn't really effect that. I don't see them competing for the same lineup spot.

I have Marat K is in competition with Dewar, Shaw, and the AHL scrubs for lineup spots. It's the MarJo and Freddy G contracts that are blocking FWD lineup spots away imo.

To be clear, I wouldn't give any of these guys more than a 2 year deal, and more likely a 1 year deal.

I have Marat playing top 9 next year though. The question with him is the offensive upside, but the skating is there, the mature and responsible game is there with him. I'm not sure if he'll be a C or W, but I am pretty sure he'll be a 3rd line player.

I posted the Capfriendly lineup screenshot, and that's what I think the roster will look like for the most part next year. Henrique coming in would necessarily push Khusnutdinov or Rossi to wing, and I don't see Rossi as a weak link at center.

They could always break Marat in at wing and move him to C later, but so far that doesn't seem like something Guerin does, and Russo has indicated they view Marat as a center.

I generally don't believe that top prospects should ever play on the fourth line. Guys like Johansson, Gaudreau, Shaw and even Foligno should be there before guys like Rossi, Marat, Ohgren, etc.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
To be clear, I wouldn't give any of these guys more than a 2 year deal, and more likely a 1 year deal.

I have Marat playing top 9 next year though. The question with him is the offensive upside, but the skating is there, the mature and responsible game is there with him. I'm not sure if he'll be a C or W, but I am pretty sure he'll be a 3rd line player.

I posted the Capfriendly lineup screenshot, and that's what I think the roster will look like for the most part next year. Henrique coming in would necessarily push Khusnutdinov or Rossi to wing, and I don't see Rossi as a weak link at center.

They could always break Marat in at wing and move him to C later, but so far that doesn't seem like something Guerin does, and Russo has indicated they view Marat as a center.

I generally don't believe that top prospects should ever play on the fourth line. Guys like Johansson, Gaudreau, Shaw and even Foligno should be there before guys like Rossi, Marat, Ohgren, etc.

You could say that currently 2 or 3 lines are NHL 4th lines. I'm fine with young players being broken in on the 4th line as long as its used as line that creates mismatches. Basically the opposite of how Evason ran the bench. For FWDs, outside of the top line, the ToI isn't that much different 5v5 ends up only being one or two less shifts a game. It's the special teams play that really separates things.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Zucker held out by the Yotes today.
No, Billy. No,no,no. Nope. Don't do it! Don't you dare.
Keep your hands off that damned phone.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Stankoven now with Hintz and Robertson recently in round 2. Wyatt Johnston a late first. Heiskanen is there. WTF?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only three draft picks that have played NHL games for the Stars since 2019 are Harley (1st, 2019), Johnston (1st, 2021) and now Stankoven (2nd. 2021).

Not to take away from any of those players who all look very good, but the Wild have gotten NHL games from Boldy (1st, 2019), Beckman (3rd, 2019), Rossi (1st, 2020) and Hunt (3rd, 2020).

Wallstedt (1st, 2021) looks like he'll be a player at some point, Nesterenko (6th, 2019) has played some games for Anaheim and could do more in the future. We also have other guys who look like they could be NHL players at some point, that we're all different degrees of happy with:

Khusnutdinov (2nd, 2020)
Bankier (3rd, 2021)
Lambos (1st, 2021)
Spacek (5th, 2022)
Haight (2nd, 2022)
Yurov (1st, 2022)
Ohgren (1st, 2022)
Heidt (2nd, 2023)

When it's all said and done, comparing Harley, Johnston and Stankoven to something like Boldy, Rossi and Yurov, I'm not sure we're that far off? I don't know what else Dallas has or what they're going to turn into, but our big three doesn't include guys like Marat, Ohgren, Heidt and Wallstedt yet. Does Dallas have that?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Mittelstadt for Byram, things are certainly happening

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, but how are their 6th rounders doing?
Ben Brickman is with the Wild oddly enough in the ECHL and is from Edina. Doesn't look good.
Remi Poirier seems to be doing okay as a goaltender (29 GP, 3.11, .905)
Evgeniy Oksentyuk went back to Russia
Francesco Arcuri is in the ECHL and is scoring at a good pace there
Matthew Seminoff is in the AHL and is meh it seems (rookie 11 points in 50+ games)
Angus MacDonell is scoring well in the OHL, and has the most Irish name I've heard in a while

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ON the one hand, I'll be pissed if Guerin doesn't make any moves, because it will indicate that he thinks everything is fine as is. OTOH, I am terrified that he will be trading Dewar for a 34 yo depth forward with grit.

Just clean up your mess, Bill. Get rid of Middleton, one of Gaudreau, Maroon, or Foligno for picks, and let's call it a day. Moving Duhaime or Dewar doesn't count. Those are easy trades to make.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
ON the one hand, I'll be pissed if Guerin doesn't make any moves, because it will indicate that he thinks everything is fine as is. OTOH, I am terrified that he will be trading Dewar for a 34 yo depth forward with grit.
Honestly, not terrified of moving Dewar for a 34 year old depth forward, because Dewar is probably on his way out. I'm terrified he's going to move one of the rookies for a 34 year old depth forward because he thinks this team can go far in the playoffs if he keeps tinkering with the 'grit' and 'character' of this team.

Has anyone actually called out Guerin's hypocrisy?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Seeler got 4 years x $2.7 million from the Flyers. NTC for 1st two years. Wow. Not sure he deserves that kind of term/money, but I'm happy for him.

Last edited:

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Wennberg to Rangers for a 2nd and a conditional 4th.
Seems like a bit too much?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Prices seem kind of low, so far. Well see what Guentzel goes for, which might reset the market a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad