Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi is arguably equal to Mittelstadt now, with a higher ceiling, he's a better goal scorer, he's 3 years younger, he doesn't need a new contract this summer, he is and will be cheaper. What exactly is the benefit to us?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I would give up Rossi for Mittelstadt in a heartbeat, almost posted that very thing here yesterday. He just fits our expected window better IMO. We theoretically could fit him in at anything under $6MM AAV very easily.

I believe Buffalo is after a goalie though, and with rumors of Fleury as more of an extension candidate than retirement candidate, it makes you wonder if Gus gets dangled in the off season. Unlikely, but if Casey is coming back I would be pretty happy, he’s become a very solid player in this league.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
It’s impossible to project the window because there is zero coherent plan with the roster construction. A blind monkey flinging darts at an unlimited possibilities board would likely end up easier to predict than whatever idiocy Guerin has rolling around his dinosaur skull.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I would give up Rossi for Mittelstadt in a heartbeat, almost posted that very thing here yesterday. He just fits our expected window better IMO. We theoretically could fit him in at anything under $6MM AAV very easily.

I believe Buffalo is after a goalie though, and with rumors of Fleury as more of an extension candidate than retirement candidate, it makes you wonder if Gus gets dangled in the off season. Unlikely, but if Casey is coming back I would be pretty happy, he’s become a very solid player in this league.
I just don’t see a huge difference in upside between Mittelstadt & Rossi

If Mittelstadt was better on faceoffs, I could least see some argument for it. As of now though, it just feels like a marginal upgrade that’ll cost the team more money.

I guess you could argue that it could end up working out like the Reinhart trade did for Florida. Really wish we found a way to bring him in back in 2021.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s impossible to project the window because there is zero coherent plan with the roster construction. A blind monkey flinging darts at an unlimited possibilities board would likely end up easier to predict than whatever idiocy Guerin has rolling around his dinosaur skull.

If I was trying to predict a window I would say it's still at least a few years out when guys like Khusnutdinov, Ohgren, Yurov and Heidt are at least a couple years into the league, if they all make it. Something needs to be done with the defense during that time too, and obviously Wallstedt has to be a good+ starter.

But to suggest we have a window any time in the next 2-3 years is crazy to me. Especially next year.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
If I was trying to predict a window I would say it's still at least a few years out when guys like Khusnutdinov, Ohgren, Yurov and Heidt are at least a couple years into the league, if they all make it. Something needs to be done with the defense during that time too, and obviously Wallstedt has to be a good+ starter.

But to suggest we have a window any time in the next 2-3 years is crazy to me. Especially next year.
And then the issue becomes Kap and Ek being 30ish years old and that’s if Kap is even here.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And then the issue becomes Kap and Ek being 30ish years old
This isn't an issue, you need veterans on a Cup team, and you could do worse than those two

and that’s if Kap is even here.
This would be an issue though, but that still doesn't mean our window is now when Johansson and Zuccarello are playing in the top six

If Kaprizov leaves in two years we probably don't have much more of a window than Fletcher gave us, but it is what it is, that's on the GM, and I don't think my opinions on the GM are any mystery

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Sabres are apparently taking calls on Middelstadt. Is he someone we should pursue?

To me, he seems to be in the mold of Ek, not skill or play style wise but in that he is a damn good 2C but not the high end 1C the team needs.

I don’t particularly care he’s a MN boy.

What would it cost? Would people be upset if Rossi was part of the package?
He will be a RFA with arbitration rights. Will probably get 5M+ per year, which, with MN's cap situation, would a near impossibility. Keeping Rossi and his 863K cap hit for next year is far more in line with MN's needs.
I mean, if we can send Foligno the other way then I'm all in, but otherwise...

Reactions: Sweetnut

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He will be a RFA with arbitration rights. Will probably get 5M+ per year, which, with MN's cap situation, would a near impossibility. Keeping Rossi and his 863K cap hit for next year is far more in line with MN's needs.
I mean, if we can send Foligno the other way then I'm all in, but otherwise...
We can afford $5M+. Just not $6M+.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We can afford $5M+. Just not $6M+.

What's the math on this? Assuming Wallstedt replaces Fleury? What are we doing for 4th line/defense?

I have us at 4.5M cap space after re-signing Fleury, Chisholm, Bogosian, Shaw and Dewar. If we replace Fleury with Wallstedt it gives us 6.5M. Trading Rossi for Mittelstadt adds another ~1M to the count if your goal is to add Mittelstadt.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

If Mitts is moved, it would need to be for a top 4 RHD that is defensive minded. Goaltending has actually dropped to the bottom of the list for now as UPL has been lights out and Levi is doing well in Rochester.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If Mitts is moved, it would need to be for a top 4 RHD that is defensive minded. Goaltending has actually dropped to the bottom of the list for now as UPL has been lights out and Levi is doing well in Rochester.
Thanks, I was thinking about asking you guys but didn’t want to be rude since he is still under RFA control. Sounds like we wouldn’t have what you are looking for then, I doubt Faber or Spurgeon would be offered up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What's the math on this? Assuming Wallstedt replaces Fleury? What are we doing for 4th line/defense?

I have us at 4.5M cap space after re-signing Fleury, Chisholm, Bogosian, Shaw and Dewar. If we replace Fleury with Wallstedt it gives us 6.5M. Trading Rossi for Mittelstadt adds another ~1M to the count if your goal is to add Mittelstadt.
Dewar ~$1.5M
Chisholm ~$1.5M
Bogosian ~$1.5M
Shaw at $900k
Khus, Rossi, Faber and Wallstedt on ELCs

Assumption is the cap is at $87.5M

I think there's something like ~$5.9M leftover.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dewar ~$1.5M
Chisholm ~$1.5M
Bogosian ~$1.5M
Shaw at $900k

1709667492790.png

You must be assuming Merrill is dumped and we don't have a 7D on the roster too

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, I had Merrill in there. I don't have Lettieri and I have Shaw as the 13th forward.

So it's the same thing, you have 5.2M in space with an empty forward slot, I have 4.5M with Lettieri as the 13th forward.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Looking at the list of free agents that might be under 5M,

Vrana
Zucker
Bertuzzi
Labanc
Hoffman
Wennberg
Olofsson
Henrique
Silfverberg
Eberle
Kapanen
Domi

I'm not a huge fan of any of those but I'd take a chance on Vrana or Bertuzzi.

But gotta leave some space for Heidt at the start of the season, maybe Ohgren.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dewar ~$1.5M
Chisholm ~$1.5M
Bogosian ~$1.5M
Shaw at $900k

I think you can get all of BoGo, Chisholm, Dewar, and Shaw for $4m or less.

I think BoGo leaves to chase another Cup somewhere else. It fits with his last 3 contracts (TB, TOR, TB) for cheap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, it's not like BUF has a shortage of small, offensively inclined forwards. Either a RHD or a budding power forward would what they would like. Sort of like Stramel :sarcasm:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Looking at the list of free agents that might be under 5M,

Vrana
Zucker
Bertuzzi
Labanc
Hoffman
Wennberg
Olofsson
Henrique
Silfverberg
Eberle
Kapanen
Domi

I'm not a huge fan of any of those but I'd take a chance on Vrana or Bertuzzi.

But gotta leave some space for Heidt at the start of the season, maybe Ohgren.

Henrique interests me, but the contract has to be "right". Have him center one of the middle 6 lines and PK2 would be nice. His health the biggest issue for me.

I'm not interested in the rest of that list. It's a lot of names of players that I want to be better than they really are.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Henrique interests me, but the contract has to be "right". Have him center one of the middle 6 lines and PK2 would be nice. His health the biggest issue for me.

I'm not interested in the rest of that list. It's a lot of names of players that I want to be better than they really are.

I like Vrana and Bertuzzi as guys that have shown more offense in the past and may find it again in the right situation. Primarily looking for a top six winger to play alongside Rossi. I like the size Bertuzzi has and I think Guerin would too.

Henrique would be fine if Khusnutdinov turns into a winger.

Outside of those three guys, I don't like anyone else on that list, they're all kinda like Johansson to me.

I could take a chance on Duclair too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad