Around The League LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

trytobe

Nov 29, 2011
the timing probably has less to do with a sudden realization that howson sucks and more to do with jarmo becoming available, either because he's needed the last few months to tidy up before leaving Jokerit or because Davidson's finally managed to convince him to come over.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
While I think Kelkalainen is an excellent hire, I do not understand the timing of this whatsoever. I mean ownership lets Howson stick around to be the guy who pulls off the Rick Nash trade and run the draft where they pick second overall. Then they fire him a dozen games into the next season?

I'm sorry but were they under the impression the Jackets were going to magically turn into playoff contenders after the season they had?

What I want to know is how these people can manage to make so much money that they can afford a pro sports franchise, but have no idea what the concept of 'forward-thinking' is all about.

Howson needed to be fired at the end of last season. Firing him now is just another sign that everything about the Jackets organization, from ownership on down, is a complete and utter cluster****.

JD didn't come in till near the end of the lockout.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
While I think Kelkalainen is an excellent hire, I do not understand the timing of this whatsoever. I mean ownership lets Howson stick around to be the guy who pulls off the Rick Nash trade and run the draft where they pick second overall. Then they fire him a dozen games into the next season?

I'm sorry but were they under the impression the Jackets were going to magically turn into playoff contenders after the season they had?

What I want to know is how these people can manage to make so much money that they can afford a pro sports franchise, but have no idea what the concept of 'forward-thinking' is all about.

Howson needed to be fired at the end of last season. Firing him now is just another sign that everything about the Jackets organization, from ownership on down, is a complete and utter cluster****.

John Davidson is the reason I imagine. He wasn't officially hired until October which was well after the Nash trade, but there were rumors for months before that he was going to end up there. If the team was planning on bringing Davidson in to revamp the organization, changing GMs before he was hired would've been counterproductive.

I think they made the correct decision to get a new President in place and let him handle the hiring of the new GM.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

I know where you are coming from, and on the surface, the situation seems to be everything you are referring to.

However, from what I gathered, Davidson had been looking for a GM for a while now.
Kelkalainen was probably his 1st choice, but he was employed with Jokerit as GM.
Maybe Kelkalainen was considering his options until he finally agreed recently.
Also, there was a lockout, which suspended basically all activities, and that may have caused a delay in the announcement.

It is preferable to fire Howson at the end of the season, but since this is such a deep draft, and the Blue Jackets have 3 1st rounders, it might be best to announce Kelkalainen as soon as possible and let him get to work.
This way, he will have time to familiarize with the NHL once again, establish relationships with both the staff and fellow GMs, decide who to keep and to to let go before the draft, and let him get all the information possible, in regards to the scouting and maybe even possible trades.

Otherwise, there is a lame duck GM, who the whole organization knows will be fired soon, and the lack of a clear leader causes the whole organization to be engage in a power struggle and be stuck in a quagmire.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
So StL. has basically one important injury while Detroit has 8 injuries and they are still schooling Stl. Something is wrong in STL.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Don't worry, they'll turn it around come Sunday...

They blame the goaltending but Detroit is getting good chance after good chance. Suddenly Stl. d looks bad. Are Cole Russel Shatterkirk top 4 dman. Is Jackman and Polak really shut down d man. I like their forwards tons of Hansen types with more scoring skill but i don't know. Good team do not struggle like this for multiple games.

Stl scored short handed. One d man i did not question was Alex P. D

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Man, I remember not to long ago Blues fans saying Halak+Elliot>Luongo+Schneider. Classic example of a product of the system. Same thing happened with Steve Mason when Hitchcock was there.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing rumors of Alexei Ponikarovsky's trade out of WPG. NJD perhaps? Checking.

WPG has apparently traded Alexei Ponikarovsky to NJD. Details to follow.

NJD trade 2013 7th round pick and 2014 4th round pick to WPG for Ponikarovsky.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
whats the point of having draft picks lmao especially the 4 and 5th ones and so on.. for players that have next to nothing in terms of value.. might as well give up future consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad