Around The League LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender*

Man, how can the Caps NOT be legitimately interested in Luongo. He's the difference between playoffs and no playoffs - really. They are going nowhere with Holtby.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Man, how can the Caps NOT be legitimately interested in Luongo. He's the difference between playoffs and no playoffs - really. They are going nowhere with Holtby.

No team who sucks wants to get better at this point. Mackinnon/Jones/Drouin loom too large.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Watching the FLA/WSH highlights and Holtby is so ****ing awful, it's comical. I don't see how his play doesn't discourage the rest of the team.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
funny how Hotlby was the reason Caps beat Boston last year... talk about one hit wonder. He's still very young though.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wasn't Bmac saying Jarmo Kekalinen was going to be the first Euro GM and become the GM of the Blue Jackets?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
funny how Hotlby was the reason Caps beat Boston last year... talk about one hit wonder. He's still very young though.

Steve Mason syndrome... this is why you let goalies develop in the AHL for a few years. There's very few guys like Carey Price who can just maintain at the NHL level.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Steve Mason syndrome... this is why you let goalies develop in the AHL for a few years. There's very few guys like Carey Price who can just maintain at the NHL level.

He looked so good in that 1st year too.
At least he is looking better now.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Price didn't though. He's a good young goaltender but criminally overrated because of the market he's in. He's only posted a SV% above .916 once since his rookie season. By contrast, since he became a starter in the NHL, Luongo has only posted a SV% below 916 three times and has a career SV % of 920.

Price is good, but I thought Montreal took a big risk with his career when they brought him up so early. For awhile there it looked like it wouldn't work out for him in Montreal.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
No team who sucks wants to get better at this point. Mackinnon/Jones/Drouin loom too large.

You're forgetting about the Flames :D

Price didn't though. He's a good young goaltender but criminally overrated because of the market he's in. He's only posted a SV% above .916 once since his rookie season. By contrast, since he became a starter in the NHL, Luongo has only posted a SV% below 916 three times and has a career SV % of 920.

Price is good, but I thought Montreal took a big risk with his career when they brought him up so early. For awhile there it looked like it wouldn't work out for him in Montreal.

Yet for some reason I keep seeing Price as the Sochi starter, and Luongo not even on the roster :facepalm:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yet for some reason I keep seeing Price as the Sochi starter, and Luongo not even on the roster :facepalm:

Darren Dreger also picked Fleury for the Vezina late last year when he had a 914 SV%. Hockey media :help:

Unless Luongo is awful, I expect he will go in as the starter, with Price as the backup. Hockey Canada will waste the third roster spot on an overrated goaltender like Ward or Fleury, but it won't matter.

Luongo will start and unless he's bad like Brodeur was, he'll be the guy.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
It is now official. Columbus is going to become a pretty good team in the future.

Kekalainen, from what I understand, is a pretty big proponent of advanced stats. His draft record speaks for itself. I'm interested to see what he can do with a Columbus team that doesn't have a lot going for it at the moment.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Kekalainen, from what I understand, is a pretty big proponent of advanced stats. His draft record speaks for itself. I'm interested to see what he can do with a Columbus team that doesn't have a lot going for it at the moment.

Yes, I like this hire a lot.

As much as he'll want to hold on to some of their useful roster players, I have to think he's going to want to tank pretty badly right now so they can get Seth Jones.

I expect Jack Johnson to be gone because, well, Kekalainen has a brain. Maybe some desperate team will take that abysmal Wiz contract off his hands if he gets healthy and plays decent hockey.

I think he'll hold on to some of their useful guys like Dubinsky and Anisimov. Even if they're overpaid, capspace isn't a concern for them obviously.

Edit: maybe he holds on to Jack Johnson because having him on the roster helps the Jackets tank....

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
While I think Kelkalainen is an excellent hire, I do not understand the timing of this whatsoever. I mean ownership lets Howson stick around to be the guy who pulls off the Rick Nash trade and run the draft where they pick second overall. Then they fire him a dozen games into the next season?

I'm sorry but were they under the impression the Jackets were going to magically turn into playoff contenders after the season they had?

What I want to know is how these people can manage to make so much money that they can afford a pro sports franchise, but have no idea what the concept of 'forward-thinking' is all about.

Howson needed to be fired at the end of last season. Firing him now is just another sign that everything about the Jackets organization, from ownership on down, is a complete and utter cluster****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->